Front Camber question. Jeep JK 2015 Dana 44

H20JNKY

Question: I'm running 37" on a stock Rubicon Dana 44 and I have noticed my tires seem to be pointing in towards the engine bay (negative camber..I think).

Is the axle bent? C's bent? I believe Eddie had told me at some point that this might happen when upgrading to 37s".

Is there any type of fix other then a full new axle? Here are some pictures:

IMG_8903.JPG IMG_8905.JPG IMG_8904.JPG

Oh, and hi from Mexico!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I am not sure if can see them facing in towards the engine. It might be an illusion. I run 37" on my stock 44 for about two years now. No problems yet with that.
How come you didn't gusset you C's? It's cheap insurance, also were you ripping through the dessert with your stock axle? Cuz that wouldn't be a good idea.
Mexico is fun.

H20JNKY

I am not sure if can see them facing in towards the engine. It might be an illusion. I run 37" on my stock 44 for about two years now. No problems yet with that.
How come you didn't gusset you C's? It's cheap insurance, also were you ripping through the dessert with your stock axle? Cuz that wouldn't be a good idea.
Mexico is fun.

Maybe it is an illusion ( figured I would ask to make sure), trying to find an angle tool to check for sure. Done a little bit of wheeling down here, nothing crazy. I haven't seen nor did I expect to see anything in the way of the Rubicon, Prison Hill (Carson City, NV) or Moab down here , so I thought It was a safe bet not to gusset. If I find that nothing is wrong, I will gusset for sure for a piece of mind. Drives good.

SaskJeeps

Get gussets before it is too late! They do look like theyre facing out. How is your allignment

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

H20JNKY

Get gussets before it is too late! They do look like theyre facing out. How is your allignment

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Visually, Im seeing the same thing as you are. I measured it yesterday though and Im about a half inch shorter on the front of the tire then the rear. Plan on fixing the toe in Today. Obviously more Toe-in, the jeep will drive straight, just tears up your tires. Need to fix.

J

JKDream

I didn't notice any camber issues before switching to ProSteers though.

Same, I just got back from a camping trip that was ~70km of washboard roads at 80kmh and they're still tight. That would have worn out a set of OEs in a single trip haha.

**Edit: thought you meant after ProSteers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JKDream

Swapped out with heavy duty Synergy Ball Joints about 6 months ago. They seem to be holding up.

Have you actually checked them though? My Synergy ball joints wore out quicker than my oem ones did, you'll probably hear that from a lot of forum members. You can check axle straightness with a straight edge btw. But chances are if you're not leaking gear oil from the tubes it isn't bent.

**Might want to give the unit bearings a check as well, although I didn't find them to wear out all that fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

H20JNKY

Have you actually checked them though? My Synergy ball joints wore out quicker than my oem ones did, you'll probably hear that from a lot of forum members. You can check axle straightness with a straight edge btw. But chances are if you're not leaking gear oil from the tubes it isn't bent.

**Might want to give the unit bearings a check as well, although I didn't find them to wear out all that fast.

Well..I have just looked at them..lol. I'll jack up and check if there is any play with them. I'm bummed to hear that about Synergy. Will check bearings to. Thanks for the tips!

WJCO

Meme King
Improper toe angle can deceptively visually look like poor camber. Set toe first and go from there.

Journeyman

As WJCO said. I would start by checking your toe. Then jack it up to check for ball joint play.
It could be a combo of all of the above. Mine did that same thing. I replaced ball joints and unit bearings and the negative camber went away.
I could destroy a set of synergy ball joints in 6 months on 35's so I wouldn't expect them to last long on 37's. I would definitely gusset your C's, especially if you replace your ball joints.

H20JNKY

As WJCO said. I would start by checking your toe. Then jack it up to check for ball joint play.
It could be a combo of all of the above. Mine did that same thing. I replaced ball joints and unit bearings and the negative camber went away.
I could destroy a set of synergy ball joints in 6 months on 35's so I wouldn't expect them to last long on 37's. I would definitely gusset your C's, especially if you replace your ball joints.

Thank you! Toe-in will get fixed shortly and I'll take a picture. Still bummed about those synergy ball joints. I should have sprung for the rebuildable ball joints from Dynatrac!

H20JNKY

IMG_8923.JPG IMG_8924.JPG IMG_8925.JPG

Update: so I checked the toe-in and it was an inch difference from front and back. I was able to correct it and it's now sitting 1/16" in the front over the back of the tire. Went and drove around and it feels pretty good. Had to adjust a couple times because it felt flighty, but all is good now. Drives straight for about 200 yards and then drifts slightly to the right. I can live with that. I probably wore the tires badly from it being that far out of toe! I think I should probably rotate the tires now at this point. Need to order some gussets and get those installed asap.

Here are some after Picts, not really much difference. Tube does not appear to be bent.

J

JKDream

View attachment 266770 View attachment 266771 View attachment 266772

Update: so I checked the toe-in and it was an inch difference from front and back. I was able to correct it and it's now sitting 1/16" in the front over the back of the tire. Went and drove around and it feels pretty good. Had to adjust a couple times because it felt flighty, but all is good now. Drives straight for about 200 yards and then drifts slightly to the right. I can live with that. I probably wore the tires badly from it being that far out of toe! I think I should probably rotate the tires now at this point. Need to order some gussets and get those installed asap.

Here are some after Picts, not really much difference. Tube does not appear to be bent.

Still looks cambered out. It's really hard to tell on the JK's though because the fenders aren't straight from the body either.
Did you check those balljoints? Might be worth getting a quick alignment printout to see how far it's out.

Top Bottom