Oil leak

Ant's JK

After my coolant issue I've been checking my jeep since the repair and found an oil leak now. It's pooling in this area under the hood. Any idea about this ? 20170704_134325.jpg 20170704_134319.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Not sure. I don't think so from what I've read. But over torque on the oil filter is known to cause a crack there and subsequently a leak. If the dealer has been doing your oil changes I would start there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
That housing is not that easy to change. You need to change the entire oil filter cooler. It might just be a little but of oil spilling out while the filter is being changed.
I had my oil filter adapter replaced under warranty. It was leaking all over the place though and dripping on the ground. It actually looked like I had a transmission fluid leak, but it turned out the be this.
Necessary Evil has a write up on this, if you are planning to tackle this yourself. But like I said it might not be a leak though, look underneath your jeep to see how much oil you actually loosing.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/42977-3-6L-Oil-Filter-Cooler-Adaptor-Housing-Replacement

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ant's JK

Not loosing too much but I just noticed a couple small puddles under the jeep around the front axle area and that's the only suspect I have found

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

toyotire

If you are mechanical it is an easy job. It has been a common occurrence on 2014's. They have a newer updated oil filter cooling housing.

RioGrandeJK

Oil filter/cooler housing

I'm going to go ahead and bring this thread back. My Jeep is currently in the shop to have this part replaced for a second time. The first was when the oil pressure sensor went out and the dealer just replaced the whole filter/cooler unit as a precaution. This time when I was doing an oil change there was oil all over the filter portion of the housing and down in the valley of the motor where the housing sits. Does this part seem like something I should be prepared to replace every 30k or so? Or is there an updated part that is less prone to cracking. I do all my oil changes myself and am mindful of not over tightening the cap on the filter.

Someone needs to design a replacement part that allows the use of a remote filter/cooler because this part is junk.

Sorry for the little rant but this has me pissed, because I plan to keep the Jeep a while but not if this is going to be a constant issue. Also its not like the part is cheap, I've seen it anywhere from $100-200 online. Not to mention the labor for replacing it.

Top Bottom