I have decided on 38s, but what do i need to do it

acamp75

Hey, so I need some help. I have a 16 unlimited. I put a jks 3.5" jkonnect under it with adjustable tracbars and a bunch of other goodies. I have decided that I want 38s, which may mean I need more height. I know 37s work perfectly well with this set up, however, I want 14.5" of width, which is why. I wheel pretty hard and am worried that I won't have the needed clearance. I geared to 5.13s, changed to a pro rock 44 in the front with RCVs and pro steer balljoints. The rear have chromo shafts and dynatrac big brakes all the way around. I have flat fenders and done a little trimming.

So the question, will 38s work with what I have? If not, what do i need to change? I have kicked around doing the JKS ACOS front and rear, but going only high enough to get the clearance. I will need shocks, but may be able to get away without control arms. This would also give me the availability to get rid of the JK lean.
I have also thought about 5.5" springs, shocks and adjustable control arms.

What does anyone think?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of odd size tires but if you're determined to run 14.50 wide tires, I see no reason why you couldn't make them work. You're just gonna need to run taller bump stop extensions and/or do a lot more body trimming. Also, unless you like the look of a 1980's nose bleed lift, I wouldn't recommend the 5.5" coil option.

RocknJK

I'm happy with my 3.5" with 37x12.50 but if you want to run 38x14.50 your going to want 4.5" springs. My friends silver Jeep in the picture has 4.5" metalcloak springs with 38x14.50 the front barely rubs inner fender when fully stuffed. I definitely wouldn't go with 5.5" springs.
IMG_0038.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

acamp75

I'm happy with my 3.5" with 37x12.50 but if you want to run 38x14.50 your going to want 4.5" springs. My friends silver Jeep in the picture has 4.5" metalcloak springs with 38x14.50 the front barely rubs inner fender when fully stuffed. I definitely wouldn't go with 5.5" springs.
View attachment 266785

Sorry, posted in the wrong spot. What did your friend do about control arms and all the other goodies?

RocknJK

Sorry, posted in the wrong spot. What did your friend do about control arms and all the other goodies?

He originally bought the Metalcloak 3.5" game changer system and ran 37x12.50 tires. Then he went to the metalcloak 4.5" springs. So he could clear the 38x14.50. All metalcloak mid control arms with rear DB3 geometry correction brackets. The axels are geared to 5:13 rear Artec truss and front sleeves and c gussets. Steering is all metalcloak drag link and tie rod. Synergy sector shaft brace. After all that he said he was just as happy with the 37's and if he did it again he would've just stuck with that.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Hey, so I need some help. I have a 16 unlimited. I put a jks 3.5" jkonnect under it with adjustable tracbars and a bunch of other goodies. I have decided that I want 38s, which may mean I need more height. I know 37s work perfectly well with this set up, however, I want 14.5" of width, which is why. I wheel pretty hard and am worried that I won't have the needed clearance. I geared to 5.13s, changed to a pro rock 44 in the front with RCVs and pro steer balljoints. The rear have chromo shafts and dynatrac big brakes all the way around. I have flat fenders and done a little trimming.

So the question, will 38s work with what I have? If not, what do i need to change? I have kicked around doing the JKS ACOS front and rear, but going only high enough to get the clearance. I will need shocks, but may be able to get away without control arms. This would also give me the availability to get rid of the JK lean.
I have also thought about 5.5" springs, shocks and adjustable control arms.

What does anyone think?

Think about wheels as well as what's been mentioned. That's a wide tire so you'll need the correct back spacing to make it work. I'd personally stick with 37's as there's a lot more tire options but that's just my opinion.

acamp75

Think about wheels as well as what's been mentioned. That's a wide tire so you'll need the correct back spacing to make it work. I'd personally stick with 37's as there's a lot more tire options but that's just my opinion.

I have trail ready BL with a BS of 4". I'm gonna get the tires, trim what needs be then adjust accordingly. I decided on the 38s for the bigger footprint and I really like the goodyear mtr with Kevlar, so it is win win, as long as I can make it wheel like I want it to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have trail ready BL with a BS of 4". I'm gonna get the tires, trim what needs be then adjust accordingly. I decided on the 38s for the bigger footprint and I really like the goodyear mtr with Kevlar, so it is win win, as long as I can make it wheel like I want it to.

:cheesy: Good luck clearing 14.50's with 4" of back spacing.

J

JKDream

:cheesy: Good luck clearing 14.50's with 4" of back spacing.

And the really poor choice of tire :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Aren't MTRK's notorious for being difficult to balance? I hope you have a good tire shop that is willing to balance beadlock wheels.

J

JKDream

Aren't MTRK's notorious for being difficult to balance? I hope you have a good tire shop that is willing to balance beadlock wheels.
Yes. Regardless of what some people say, you will never get them truely balanced due to the sidewall material and tread design. Not to mention they have shit sidewalls and track like you have zero caster.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

"Difficult" isn't the word I'd use, more like "impossible". Also, their directional like tread pattern causes them to track funny on the highway, their sidewalls are weak and their rubbery demeanor when aired down make them unpredictable on the rocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Regardless of what some people say, you will never get them truely balanced due to the sidewall material and tread design. Not to mention they have shit sidewalls and track like you have zero caster.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL!! Beat me to it :crazyeyes:

On my last trip to Moab, I had a long conversation with John Currie about MTR's and how much we disliked them and for all the reasons stated. It's a shame too being that they are a good "looking" tire.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Beat me to it :crazyeyes:

On my last trip to Moab, I had a long conversation with John Currie about MTR's and how much we disliked them and for all the reasons stated. It's a shame too being that they are a good "looking" tire.

It really surprises me that Goodyear has not come up with a new tire by now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really surprises me that Goodyear has not come up with a new tire by now.

Considering how BFG, Nitto, Cooper and the like have all come up with new tires, yeah, it really surprises me too. Hell, I'd be happy if they just started to sell their old MTR again. That was a nice tire.

Ddays

Hooked
Considering how BFG, Nitto, Cooper and the like have all come up with new tires

^^ this. I see the new Coopers EVERYWHERE now. Still a lot of Nittos & BFG's too, but Goodyear is really losing ground in the aftermarket it seems. Course they're so big it's probably a blip to them, but still....

Top Bottom