Twisted sector shaft - hydro assist or other?

aTX427

I twisted mine even this last outing. Replace with stock, PSC oversize or hydro assist. Before you answer PSC, understand that I have an Evo front with their high steer drag link flip and Evo doesn't recommend hydro assist unless there are custom mounts fabricated specific to this application, which neither they, nor PSC supply. If someone has done otherwise, please chime in.

Last edited:

tgoss

Just do the XD box.... Ram assist is such a pain the ass, everything leaks, lines wear and tear.... it's a nightmare, truthfully.

Journeyman

Just do the XD box.... Ram assist is such a pain the ass, everything leaks, lines wear and tear.... it's a nightmare, truthfully.

Man, comments like keep pushing this mod back. I know I could truly use the assist, but at the same time I've gotten by without it for a long time. So why add more parts with the potential to fail on me.

J

JKDream

FYI PSC is having some issues with the XD boxes as well. Might want to wait before you go that route.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked

I'd agree up to a point, esp on the leaking, but the guys making the ram assist that has the issues you mentioned are the same ones making the XD box, know what I mean? I would hope the fittings don't leak on the top of the box like
the hydro version does. Maybe I've been lucky in that my only issue so far has been the constant leaks. :idontknow:

OP - what tire size do you currently run? That is fairly important as far as what recommendations you get.

Andy5160

Hooked
I'd agree up to a point, esp on the leaking, but the guys making the ram assist that has the issues you mentioned are the same ones making the XD box, know what I mean? I would hope the fittings don't leak on the top of the box like
the hydro version does. Maybe I've been lucky in that my only issue so far has been the constant leaks. :idontknow:

OP - what tire size do you currently run? That is fairly important as far as what recommendations you get.

So Jerry ,

Based on your experience if you were to do it over again,Which option would you go with for 37's?

J

JKDream

^^ I had't heard that but it's exactly what I feared
I was talking about it on a different thread. Surprised PSC didn't comment. I spoke to a vendor and apparently they had a bunch of boxes machined incorrectly and they needed immediate replacements. I was planning on ordering one until I heard about the wait times. There was a couple of people in that thread on their second or third box already as well. Obligatory note: I'm not bashing PSC in any way.

Journeyman

So what happens if you upgrade to the XD box and then decide later to add hydro assist. Is this something that can be done without removing the xd box. I would assume that it would be ported for this (maybe not [emoji848]) but wouldn't that also possibly throw off you assist ratio turning it into something that's to much assist for the street? So would the xd box have to be removed then?

J

JKDream

So what happens if you upgrade to the XD box and then decide later to add hydro assist. Is this something that can be done without removing the xd box. I would assume that it would be ported for this (maybe not [emoji848]) but wouldn't that also possibly throw off you assist ratio turning it into something that's to much assist for the street? So would the xd box have to be removed then?

You can get the XD box ported for hydro but cap it off until you decide to go that route.
Once you switch over to a ram assist, the turning force is determined mostly by your ram size.
You might have a BIT more turning power if you run a full size ram, but you can always go a bit smaller.
1.5 versus 1.75 for example.

Journeyman

You can get the XD box ported for hydro but cap it off until you decide to go that route.
Once you switch over to a ram assist, the turning force is determined mostly by your ram size.
You might have a BIT more turning power if you run a full size ram, but you can always go a bit smaller.
1.5 versus 1.75 for example.

Cool. That's great info to know! Thank you [emoji1360]

tgoss

FYI PSC is having some issues with the XD boxes as well. Might want to wait before you go that route.

I run with 2 guys that have the xd box on 37's, not a single issue.

Other guy in our group just installed PSC, same issues as me.

It's one of the best mods I've done but it's absolutely the most annoying.

J

JKDream

It was news to me as well.
I'm not sure if maybe this was just the first shipments that went out or what.
There has been a couple of members on the forums with issues on the box so far though.
I'll be going this route as well, but would like to know the kinks are worked out.
Would be nice to see PSC chime in as to what happened.

** Added a post from the previous thread:

Ha....I got 2 bad boxes. One after another the second one was supposed to have fixed the problem. Had to put my stock box back in. Have a third waiting. "A bad run"!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Ddays

Hooked
So Jerry ,

Based on your experience if you were to do it over again,Which option would you go with for 37's?

Good question. Being that it's highly unlikely that I'll go over the 37's I run now, I would probably do the XD box but get it with the additional ports tapped & plugged.
Like Tgoss said, the hydro is one of the best things I've done but damn, those constant leaks.

Andy5160

Hooked
Good question. Being that it's highly unlikely that I'll go over the 37's I run now, I would probably do the XD box but get it with the additional ports tapped & plugged.
Like Tgoss said, the hydro is one of the best things I've done but damn, those constant leaks.

Thanks sound good to me my friend. I think I heard comment not long ago that I thought I was done with my build but hold on that long arm kit sounded and looked so desired so now I am thinking to add another fucking upgrade:)
Sounds familiar????

jeeeep

Hooked

only issues I had were from the original installer using their own hoses and fittings - basically doing a hack job.

I ended up replacing the lines and fittings and haven't had issues since June 2014

what kind of wear and tear are you experiencing? how do you have your lines routed?

where is your system leaking from?

fiend

Caught the Bug
The PSC ram system adds a point of possible failure, whether it be leaking hoses, a ram or ram mount that is damaged by a hit, a failed power steering pump, etc. I'm happy to report that my system has worked pretty much flawlessly so far, and is a great improvement on the trails with 37s. So understand that the benefits come with risks.

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks sound good to me my friend. I think I heard comment not long ago that I thought I was done with my build but hold on that long arm kit sounded and looked so desired so now I am thinking to add another fucking upgrade:)
Sounds familiar????

No idea what the hell you're talking about. You get a hold of a bad cigar? ;)

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling

I've been through 2 XDboxes and awaiting the third. The box works great w37s first on lasted longer than the second
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Top Bottom