Running warm with TD2

chili84

Hey y'all,

I have a 14' JK with a Mishimoto radiator, 180 thermo, Evans waterless coolant and TD2. My radiator started leaking around the Christmas timeframe and finally got around to replacing it under warranty along with installing the 180 thermostat. The housing looked fine but I went ahead and replaced it anyways and we made sure there was a good bleed performed. Before all of this went down my engine temp would run around 200-210. The fan would kick on as needed and when on the trails or the beach I could hear the medium fan speed come on. When I installed the 2nd radiator I went ahead and did the Evans waterless coolant. It was at this time there was also an update to my Traildash. Put everything back together and a few days later my low speed fan came on and would not go off unless I cut off the engine. It also didn't matter if it was the first start of the day or the last. Whether it was 40 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon it came on. During the time that it was being driven the engine temp never went about 195 and sometimes struggled to go above 180 and would throw a CEL. At first I thought it was because of the thermostat but then it dawned on me that the low speed fan was on ALL the time. I went and took a look in the settings and immediately noticed the low speed was set for 204, medium 176 and high speed was something like 52,485! I called Superchips and they pushed out an update for me. After that update was done the engine fan NEVER came on. Also under the settings where I previously checked to see what they were set for was gone. That function was no longer available to view. Called them back again and they pushed out another update for me. Nothing changed except for the Fan settings view function was back with no astronomically high temperature settings. Notified them again and the put me back to a version that I had in October 2016. It is to be noted that during that time I never had an issue like this and I was also running stock radiator, thermostat and coolant. Before I forget the version on it now, Oct 2016, turns the low speed engine fan on at 226. During highway driving it usually hovers around 222-228 temp and when I go up hills it sometimes gets to 230. One the beach I've seen it get to 234. The needle reflects this as well. The digital readout on the dash itself matches what the TD states.

Now that I have told my life story I am wondering 1 of 2 things now.

1.) Could the coolant temp sensor be bad, or slightly damaged, to where it's giving a false readin?
2.) Could there be an issue with the engine fan itself?

Superchips has been amazing and incredibly helpful during this annoying little issue that I'm having. Since the now version is in fact the October 2016 version and the issue is still present I don't believe it to be a TD2 issue. I'm just wondering if maybe there is an issue not TD related and also if anyone else has experienced these same problems before. Thanks everyone!

J

JKDream

Hey y'all,

I have a 14' JK with a Mishimoto radiator, 180 thermo, Evans waterless coolant and TD2. My radiator started leaking around the Christmas timeframe and finally got around to replacing it under warranty along with installing the 180 thermostat. The housing looked fine but I went ahead and replaced it anyways and we made sure there was a good bleed performed. Before all of this went down my engine temp would run around 200-210. The fan would kick on as needed and when on the trails or the beach I could hear the medium fan speed come on. When I installed the 2nd radiator I went ahead and did the Evans waterless coolant. It was at this time there was also an update to my Traildash. Put everything back together and a few days later my low speed fan came on and would not go off unless I cut off the engine. It also didn't matter if it was the first start of the day or the last. Whether it was 40 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon it came on. During the time that it was being driven the engine temp never went about 195 and sometimes struggled to go above 180 and would throw a CEL. At first I thought it was because of the thermostat but then it dawned on me that the low speed fan was on ALL the time. I went and took a look in the settings and immediately noticed the low speed was set for 204, medium 176 and high speed was something like 52,485! I called Superchips and they pushed out an update for me. After that update was done the engine fan NEVER came on. Also under the settings where I previously checked to see what they were set for was gone. That function was no longer available to view. Called them back again and they pushed out another update for me. Nothing changed except for the Fan settings view function was back with no astronomically high temperature settings. Notified them again and the put me back to a version that I had in October 2016. It is to be noted that during that time I never had an issue like this and I was also running stock radiator, thermostat and coolant. Before I forget the version on it now, Oct 2016, turns the low speed engine fan on at 226. During highway driving it usually hovers around 222-228 temp and when I go up hills it sometimes gets to 230. One the beach I've seen it get to 234. The needle reflects this as well. The digital readout on the dash itself matches what the TD states.

Now that I have told my life story I am wondering 1 of 2 things now.

1.) Could the coolant temp sensor be bad, or slightly damaged, to where it's giving a false readin?
2.) Could there be an issue with the engine fan itself?

Superchips has been amazing and incredibly helpful during this annoying little issue that I'm having. Since the now version is in fact the October 2016 version and the issue is still present I don't believe it to be a TD2 issue. I'm just wondering if maybe there is an issue not TD related and also if anyone else has experienced these same problems before. Thanks everyone!

Just a thought, but when you replaced the radiator did you completely flush the entire cooling system?
You could still have air in the system. Or if it wasn't flushed properly, the coolant you used might not be compatible with the OE coolant.
If you mix them they become gel and it wreaks havoc on your cooling system.

As for the fan, they are not sealed or waterproof.
It's quite common for them to malfunction and not work.

chili84

Just a thought, but when you replaced the radiator did you completely flush the entire cooling system?
You could still have air in the system. Or if it wasn't flushed properly, the coolant you used might not be compatible with the OE coolant.
If you mix them they become gel and it wreaks havoc on your cooling system.

As for the fan, they are not sealed or waterproof.
It's quite common for them to malfunction and not work.

We did a solid flush. My concern is that, even though we used the prep fluid, it may not have been enough. I tried to save as much as I could and reuse it but it mainly landed on my hand and was hot. I'm gonna change out the temp sensor and also go back to OEM fluid. I'll check resistance on the fan and take a good look at the motor to see if there are signs of damage. I may just upgrade it as well since it'll be out anyways.

jeeeep

Hooked
isn't 195 or 203 stock? maybe the thermostat is stuck in the closed position?

is the waterless coolant thicker than normal coolant?

chili84

isn't 195 or 203 stock? maybe the thermostat is stuck in the closed position?

is the waterless coolant thicker than normal coolant?

I removed the thermostat one night and did a boil test. It opened up right at 180. Which was pretty fun to watch happen. And the waterless coolant is thicker than normal. But not by a whole lot.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would never use anything other than OEM coolant, especially waterless coolant. Water mixed with the coolant will properly pull heat out of the motor. Coolant by itself doesn't do as good as a job with that.

chili84

I would never use anything other than OEM coolant, especially waterless coolant. Water mixed with the coolant will properly pull heat out of the motor. Coolant by itself doesn't do as good as a job with that.

I agree. I'm going to be changing it back to OEM coolant. I guess it works great in some vehicles. If anyone is planning on doing waterless, dont. Save yourself $150.

chili84

Update

So after returning the tuner back to stock the engine temp ran good and the fan seemed to be working as well. Went back to my normal setting of performance 91 to see if the issue followed. Engine temp got to 206 and the fan kicked on immediately. Highest temp recorded was 213 for a split second and then went down to 203. I will still be reverting back to OEM coolant however all seems well. Thank you all for your inputs!

Top Bottom