still thinkin too hard

toolock

alright, i know that im probably thinkin too hard about this but i have a limited bankroll for tires and lift, i think ive got the lift figured out (zone 3" with nitro shocks, adjustable track, and 1.5 inch spacers, because im using stock 17" jk wheels for now. i dont want to go to 35's now so im looking at cooper stt's in 295/70 r17 (33.45") will that look goofy? :thinking::idontknow: thanks for the help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a limited bankroll, I personally would just install a 2.5" coil spacer lift and run them with shock extensions. That will be plenty of lift for what you're hoping to do and it will save you some money. For a set of 295, it's really all you need.

dhughes

Banned
alright, i know that im probably thinkin too hard about this but i have a limited bankroll for tires and lift, i think ive got the lift figured out (zone 3" with nitro shocks, adjustable track, and 1.5 inch spacers, because im using stock 17" jk wheels for now. i dont want to go to 35's now so im looking at cooper stt's in 295/70 r17 (33.45") will that look goofy? :thinking::idontknow: thanks for the help.

I'm running the zone 3" and the ride and flex is great. You want regret it. I'm running 37's on stock wheel and spacers with a 1" body lift and flat fenders.
e5y7a8yg.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running the zone 3" and the ride and flex is great. You want regret it. I'm running 37's on stock wheel and spacers with a 1" body lift and flat fenders.
e5y7a8yg.jpg

Just so that we're on the same page, he only wants to run 295's (basically a big 33" tire) and NOT 37's like you are. He said he is also on a budget. While you may not regret your choices, he may for his needs. Just trying to keep things as objective here as possible. :)

dhughes

Banned
Just so that we're on the same page, he only wants to run 295's (basically a big 33" tire) and NOT 37's like you are. He said he is also on a budget. While you may not regret your choices, he may for his needs. Just trying to keep things as objective here as possible. :)

If he's on a budget I would say the 3" zone is a good choice. I paid around 400 for the lift and ran 33" iroks and 35" pitbulls with stock fenders and no body lift. So I still stick with my original statement. It's a great lift on a budget and no regrets.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If he's on a budget I would say the 3" zone is a good choice. I paid around 400 for the lift and ran 35's with stock fenders and no body lift. So I still stick with my original statement. It's a great lift on a budget and no regrets.

Again, he wants to run 295's which are like big 33's and not 35's like you had or 37's like you are now. With 3" of lift and an automatic transmission like he has, he WILL damage his front drive shaft when it hits the lip of the transmission sump pan and skid plate. The fix for this would be to get a new aftermarket drive shaft but, being on a budget, I going to guess that an additional $450+ isn't something he'd want to spend. But hey, what do I know.

dhughes

Banned
As I stated before I ran 33's-37's with the same lift. As for drive shaft problems I'm still running both front and rear stock shafts. Still seems like a nice lift for a small budget.
This is a pic with stock fenders and a 1" body lift and 35's. I don't have one with 33's on my phone to post
de2agary.jpg

Last edited:

Dixon4x4

He will not damage his front drive shaft. I have a 4 1/2" of lift, 295 tires, disconnects, and still using the factory bump stops and have never come close to hitting the front drive shaft on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I stated before I ran 33's-37's with the same lift. As for drive shaft problems I'm still running both front and rear stock shafts. Still seems like a nice lift for a small budget.
This is a pic with stock fenders and a 1" body lift and 35's. I don't have one with 33's on my phone to post

Is it safe to assume you have a manual? If so, manuals wouldn't have the same problem as an automatic.

I also see that you also have a 2-door, how many miles have you put on it since your lift? I personally haven't seen a 2-door with 3" or more lift have a rear drive shaft survive more than about a year or so or 30,000 miles before the CV boot finally ruptured. But again, what do I know. Unlike you, I'm just trying to give solid advice and not push a specific product that you chose to buy. And really, more power to you for loving as much as you do.

He will not damage his front drive shaft. I have a 4 1/2" of lift, 295 tires, disconnects, and still using the factory bump stops and have never come close to hitting the front drive shaft on anything.

Do you have a manual transmission? If so, that is the reason why. I am specifically talking about 07-11 JK's with an AUTOMATIC transmission here and actually, any 2012-up regardless of transmission. There is NO way you could not be hitting your front drive shaft boot on the transmission with 4.5" of lift at a flex UNLESS your shocks are too short.

Dixon4x4

I have a 2009 JK Unlimited and my shocks are actually for 5"'s of lift so they are too long.

Jason W.

I agree with eddie here, Keep it simple! I went with bushwacker flat flares and no lift at all, 295,s fit just right with no rubbing. Flat flares or budget boost goes a long way!

dhughes

Banned
Is it safe to assume you have a manual? If so, manuals wouldn't have the same problem as an automatic.

I also see that you also have a 2-door, how many miles have you put on it since your lift? I personally haven't seen a 2-door with 3" or more lift have a rear drive shaft survive more than about a year or so or 30,000 miles before the CV boot finally ruptured. But again, what do I know. Unlike you, I'm just trying to give solid advice and not push a specific product that you chose to buy. And really, more power to you for loving as much as you do.

Do you have a manual transmission? If so, that is the reason why. I am specifically talking about 07-11 JK's with an AUTOMATIC transmission here and actually, any 2012-up regardless of transmission. There is NO way you could not be hitting your front drive shaft boot on the transmission with 4.5" of lift at a flex UNLESS your shocks are too short.

I have a auto with over 40,000 on the lift and shafts. What do you mean unlike me? I would say what I'm saying is way more of a honest opinion and not speculation like your doing at this point. Not trying to come off like a a## but that's how you are coming at me. But hey what do I know. Really I'm just giving the guy my experience with the same lift he is looking at.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2009 JK Unlimited and my shocks are actually for 5"'s of lift so they are too long.

Forgot it is also an automatic.

:cheesy: If you say so. Clearly, you must have some kind of magical factory front drive shaft that can clear an automatic transmission skid plate and the transmission itself. I sure would love to see a pic of your Jeep at a full flex and where your factory shaft doesn't come close to hitting anything in spite of how much lift you have because I have never seen it before.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a auto with over 40,000 on the lift and shafts.

More power to you. Like I said, what do I know.

What do you mean unlike me?

Unlike you meaning that all you seem to be concerned with is trying to convice the OP to buy the same brand lift as you.

I would say what I'm saying is way more of a honest opinion and not speculation like your doing at this point.

Never said that you weren't giving your honest opinion and if you really think that all I've been doing is speculating, what can I say other than, what do I know.

Not trying to come off like a a## but that's how you are coming at me. But hey what do I know.

LOL!! It's okay, you can say "ASS" here :yup:

Really I'm just giving the guy my experience with the same lift he is looking at.

And I'm just giving my experience with all the other lifts I've personally installed and run over the last 6 years. But hey, your experience with this one lift made by this brand is clearly more important than anything I might have to offer. :thumb:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

You either have never flexed your jeep or your shocks are still factory length

dhughes

Banned
So everytime you don't have a logical answer you say what do I know? I can tell you I've owned a couple jeeps and installed and owned a few different lifts over the last 8 year's myself and what I'm say is coming from experience with the lift that the op was talking about unlike the "advice" you are throwing out. But hey what do I know...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My brother has been through 2 stock front driveshafts on his 2010 2 door Rubi with a four inch lift and 35's. I told him it would happen; he didn't believe me...a few hundred bucks later and now he does (the dealership warranted the first one).

Last edited:
Top Bottom