2008 towing vs 2017 towing

wanderer

I have a 2008 jeep rubicon 4dr with 315 70 17 tires. 410 gears I tow trailer that is probably 3000+ lbs I know the tow limit is 3500lbs. On a new 2017 jeep rubicon 4 dr also set up the same way with 410 and eventually 315 70 17s will there be any real difference in the ability to tow the same trailer, because of the new motor? or will it just be easier or just as hard?

Clowe

I think the tow rating will be the same. I believe the tow rating is based on how the vehicle is engineered. Braking power, tourqe, suspension, and hitch design. If you really look at the jk hitch set up I wouldn't trust more than that. Imo

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I think the tow rating will be the same. I believe the tow rating is based on how the vehicle is engineered. Braking power, tourqe, suspension, and hitch design. If you really look at the jk hitch set up I wouldn't trust more than that. Imo

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I believe for JK's it's mostly due to North American regulations.
European diesel models are the same minus the drivetrain and their tow ratings are quite a bit higher.

wanderer

Will it be easier

With the new motor how much easier Seems like it is more related to frame strength hitch. Etc as opposed to just motor any trans

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a 2008 jeep rubicon 4dr with 315 70 17 tires. 410 gears I tow trailer that is probably 3000+ lbs I know the tow limit is 3500lbs. On a new 2017 jeep rubicon 4 dr also set up the same way with 410 and eventually 315 70 17s will there be any real difference in the ability to tow the same trailer, because of the new motor? or will it just be easier or just as hard?

It will be a little easier due to the stronger motor and the extra gearing in the trans

Ddays

Hooked
I believe for JK's it's mostly due to North American regulations.
European diesel models are the same minus the drivetrain and their tow ratings are quite a bit higher.

Speed is the biggest difference in the tow ratings. They're significantly lower in Europe. The tests are different here as well. SAE is much more stringent than the Euro tests.

With the new motor how much easier Seems like it is more related to frame strength hitch. Etc as opposed to just motor any trans

There are a ton of physics involved with tow ratings and I only understand the basic framework. I found an article online that explains whats going on but I can't find it. I'll try & post it up once I dig around some more.

jeeeep

Hooked

having a 2010 and 2015 - both automatics, I can tell you the rating is the same but IMO the newer transmission makes a huge difference.

Power wise I think they're both pretty close but the transmissions are night and day.

I tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer close to the limit when loaded, once it gets moving it's fine (OD locked out) but it feels like work when towing having to always be on the gas pedal.

The 2015 is just a much smoother experience because of the transmission - makes it less tiring to drive and feel like I don't have to be on the gas pedal as heavy.

Top Bottom