Trail break in MOAB

MacRubi2

Hey guys what's up :)

Spent 6 days wheeling in MOAB last week and had a front DC-DS take a dump on me :doh:

We were running Poison Spyder trail for our last Jeep wheeling day (Razor the last day) and I was coming down the trail and was stopped to line up to drop off a ledge and the second I let the clutch out heard the dreaded pop. :icon_crazy:

Not really sure why it let go... The center yoke broke around the flange U joint.

Any opinions?

Attachments

• DS close.jpg
    DS close.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 238
  • TC Yoke.jpg
    TC Yoke.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
That ujoint looks brand new. How long has it been in there? Any chance it wasn't fully seated within the tabs?

MacRubi2

That ujoint looks brand new. How long has it been in there? Any chance it wasn't fully seated within the tabs?

Yep been in for about a year and a half. Jeep is garaged at home and work so it tends to say pretty clean plus my OCD helps lol.

Everything looked fine when I installed it plus I look things over after every trail.

Yeah slick rock has a lot of traction (wheeled in MOAB for 3 years now) but I had no lockers on at all. IMO it kind of looks like the center yoke had a defect in the metal and that contributed to the failure.

J

JKDream

Yep been in for about a year and a half. Jeep is garaged at home and work so it tends to say pretty clean plus my OCD helps lol.

Everything looked fine when I installed it plus I look things over after every trail.

Yeah slick rock has a lot of traction (wheeled in MOAB for 3 years now) but I had no lockers on at all. IMO it kind of looks like the center yoke had a defect in the metal and that contributed to the failure.
Just curious as it's hard to tell from the photos: 1310 or 1350?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Were you in 4WD?

the bolts may have been loose allowing too much rotational give before actually engaging the axle causing them to shear.

When the 1st 3 bolts went, the weight and rotation ended up on that last bolt and snapped the u-joint cup.

the mating surface looks like the bolts may have been loose for awhile because of the dirt/carbon buildup on the mating surface close to the bolt hole - If they were tight the mating surfaces would be clean.

I say this because I thought I had a loose control arm and while checking bolts I discovered the bolts loose on my Yoke-DS. when I pulled it off to check the u-joints it had dirt/carbon markings like that (probably also from the slight rotation rub) while the other end which was tight had no markings.

Did you notice any clicking noises just in normal driving?

MacRubi2

Were you in 4WD?

the bolts may have been loose allowing too much rotational give before actually engaging the axle causing them to shear.

When the 1st 3 bolts went, the weight and rotation ended up on that last bolt and snapped the u-joint cup.

the mating surface looks like the bolts may have been loose for awhile because of the dirt/carbon buildup on the mating surface close to the bolt hole - If they were tight the mating surfaces would be clean.

I say this because I thought I had a loose control arm and while checking bolts I discovered the bolts loose on my Yoke-DS. when I pulled it off to check the u-joints it had dirt/carbon markings like that (probably also from the slight rotation rub) while the other end which was tight had no markings.

Did you notice any clicking noises just in normal driving?

Yes 4 low at a dead stop tires turned fairly sharp then just started to move and pop.

Had the tops and doors off the entire week and didn't hear any clicking or anything strange.... Jeep is actually pretty quiet going down (par for tire noise) the road and I'm always listening for noises after a trail day so I would think I would have caught it but I didn't put my fingers on the bolt heads so who knows.

I guess for me is to rebuild it and start to put hands and fingers on bolts after trail use :rock:

Top Bottom