Newbie in need of help! Lift, tires, concerns this week

RLion

I just joined forum today and really like this forum way more than others I've looked at. I just got a '17 2 door Auto 3.73 Rhino soft top Sport.

Looking at 2.5" Teraflex lift with shocks or without and upgrading to either Rancho, Fox, etc.. . Getting crazy deal on 315/70/17 BFG KO2 tires and wheels. Looking to get this done very soon, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Guy at shop recommends adding lower front control arms, steering stabilizer. I'm also getting tire carrier for spare.

Service Manager at Jeep dealership said they don't even do lifts on 2 doors due to drive shaft issues. So, now I'm scared about doing this because the last thing I want is breaking a drive shaft in traffic. I'll admit, my JK will be 90% pavement pusher. Just really like look of 35's. Already know about mpgs, not too concerned about that.

So, am I going right direction or would a simple spacer lift, flat fenders, make more sense? Thank you in advance!

J

JKDream

I just joined forum today and really like this forum way more than others I've looked at. I just got a '17 2 door Auto 3.73 Rhino soft top Sport.

Looking at 2.5" Teraflex lift with shocks or without and upgrading to either Rancho, Fox, etc.. . Getting crazy deal on 315/70/17 BFG KO2 tires and wheels. Looking to get this done very soon, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Guy at shop recommends adding lower front control arms, steering stabilizer. I'm also getting tire carrier for spare.

Service Manager at Jeep dealership said they don't even do lifts on 2 doors due to drive shaft issues. So, now I'm scared about doing this because the last thing I want is breaking a drive shaft in traffic. I'll admit, my JK will be 90% pavement pusher. Just really like look of 35's. Already know about mpgs, not too concerned about that.

So, am I going right direction or would a simple spacer lift, flat fenders, make more sense? Thank you in advance!

Most JK's start to see driveshaft issues at around the 3.5 range.
For a 2.5 you likely won't have any issues - unless you net significantly over that range.
Adjustable control arms will help resolve the rear on a two door, and the front should really be upgraded to a double cardan anyhow - that is if you net more than 2.5.
I would consider some other brands for a lift kit, like the EVO leveling kit. You will clear 35's on a two door no problem.

RLion

Most JK's start to see driveshaft issues at around the 3.5 range.
For a 2.5 you likely won't have any issues - unless you net significantly over that range.
Adjustable control arms will help resolve the rear on a two door, and the front should really be upgraded to a double cardan anyhow - that is if you net more than 2.5.
I would consider some other brands for a lift kit, like the EVO leveling kit. You will clear 35's on a two door no problem.

Thank you, will look into it. So you wouldn't recommend Teraflex? I thought they were high quality?

J

JKDream

Thank you, will look into it. So you wouldn't recommend Teraflex? I thought they were high quality?

They have a good marketing team, and really just that.
Their products are made overseas. There's plenty of other manufactures with comparable prices, made entirely in the USA with quality steel.

download.jpg

An example of their quality. That is a track bar, and extremely dangerous to have it fail on the road.

Andy5160

Hooked

Don't get Teraflex. The ride quality is comparable to the dump truck especially with two doors. And it is not US made. I recommend EVO or Rancho lift. If you are on the budget you can pair the lift with Rancho 9000 series adjustable shocks which will give you great quality ride.Do not change factory steering stabilizer keep the factory one and i don't think you need to change control arms with the lift you are looking to get. I have 4 doors but am sure two door guys will chime in.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

RLion

They have a good marketing team, and really just that.
Their products are made overseas. There's plenty of other manufactures with comparable prices, made entirely in the USA with quality steel.

View attachment 267011

An example of their quality. That is a track bar, and extremely dangerous to have it fail on the road.

Recommendations? Scary!

RLion

Don't get Teraflex. The ride quality is comparable to the dump truck especially with two doors. And it is not US made. I recommend EVO or Rancho lift. If you are on the budget you can pair the lift with Rancho 9000 series adjustable shocks which will give you great quality ride.Do not change factory steering stabilizer keep the factory one and i don't think you need to change control arms with the lift you are looking to get. I have 4 doors but am sure two door guys will chime in.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much! Feeling better already. Rough Country budget boost with 35's and trim fenders? I ask because guy's shop I know sells a lot of Rough Country and I know I can save money.

Andy5160

Hooked
Thank you so much! Feeling better already. Rough Country budget boost with 35's and trim fenders? I ask because guy's shop I know sells a lot of Rough Country and I know I can save money.

Here are some links to similar posts. Shop will sell what they make money on. Do your home work first and then decide. You can as easy get your lift,parts e t c and get the shop to do the install with the quality parts you pick.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/17865-Rough-Country-Lift-Kite

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...with-35s-and-will-take-the-rocks-once-a-month

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The new Rancho 2" spring lift, with RS 9000's, and trimming your fenders will all get you where you want to go without breaking the bank.

JRUnlimited

If you're on a budget and looking for a lift for a daily driver you should check out Zone Off Road. They have very soft coil springs which ride nice. However, pass on their hydro shocks. They suck! I'm running their 4in lift with Rancho 9000s. Very nice ride.

WJCO

Meme King
If you're on a budget and looking for a lift for a daily driver you should check out Zone Off Road. They have very soft coil springs which ride nice. However, pass on their hydro shocks. They suck! I'm running their 4in lift with Rancho 9000s. Very nice ride.

I would disagree on Zone's coils being soft myself, but yes for a budget lift they are a good option.

JRUnlimited

I would disagree on Zone's coils being soft myself, but yes for a budget lift they are a good option.

Compared to a set of Rancho coils I had years ago, these things ride like pillows. Not trying to knock Rancho. Just saying their coils ran a little too stiff for me.

Top Bottom