Changing Diff fluid

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Also is it beneficial to clean out the housing with brake clean? I've seen some videos of people doing that

Hi,

I do. It is amazing, even with only 35K on the clock, how much you will flush out. Also, flushing may help release any captured shavings/material/what-have-you into the drain pan, that you'd like to see in the event something's going on.

I used an entire can flushing it out at the same time I changed my diff cover. After 15-30 it will have completely flashed off and you'll be good to add fluids.

Hi,

I do. It is amazing, even with only 35K on the clock, how much you will flush out. Also, flushing may help release any captured shavings/material/what-have-you into the drain pan, that you'd like to see in the event something's going on.

I used an entire can flushing it out at the same time I changed my diff cover. After 15-30 it will have completely flashed off and you'll be good to add fluids.

Any recommendations on new diff covers? I'd like to do front and rear and something a little stronger to protect my new 5.13's haha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

kawimoto

Bump on this question, I'm gonna do the fluid change tomorrow morning and want to make sure this is okay to use

yes that's fine to use. just don't want synth if your running an arb locker, but im assuming your running a factory elocker. youll be fine with that. I run 85w 140 in my rearend due to the lower 5:13 gearset but nothing wrong with that recommendation.

DMF

I think you need some thick gear like 85w 140. Thats what ORE used when I had my gears replaced.

kawimoto

As far as covers go, depends on how much you wanna spend. I run a pr44 up front and it comes standard with their nodular iron diff cover. But dynatrac sells them online for around 160$ for factory d44 housings. I personally run a ruffstuff d44 diff cover due to it being cheap and hd. Paid 100$ and it's 3/8" plate steel welded inside and out IMG_1282.jpg IMG_1305.JPG

jknikos

I saw my manual and it says to use 80/90, which is not synthetic, but this is for stock 3.21 gears. I have a sport with no lsd. My question is now that I run 4.56 gears do I need to change the viscosity or it doesnt matter? :thinking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom