Thinking of going to a Evo DD 4" long arm

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. It is designed to be bolted on but I would HIGHLY recommend having the brackets burned on when you get a chance.

Ddays

Hooked
Ia it possible to install this first on a 2013 JKUR and have it welded up later? Currently run a RK 3.5 Xfactor. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ordered my set yesterday. I could see installing them as bolt on and having someone weld them on soon afterwards, but longterm? I know they say bolt on but I wouldn't feel comfortable not having them welded on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered my set yesterday. I could see installing them as bolt on and having someone weld them on soon afterwards, but longterm? I know they say bolt on but I wouldn't feel comfortable not having them welded on.

The problem with bolts is that they need to be re-tightened to their proper torque setting from time to time as a part of routine maintenance. This can be a pain on a kit like this as some of the bolts are pretty hard to get to. Welding on will just help ensure things stay where they need to be. :yup:

deezus

The problem with bolts is that they need to be re-tightened to their proper torque setting from time to time as a part of routine maintenance. This can be a pain on a kit like this as some of the bolts are pretty hard to get to. Welding on will just help ensure things stay where they need to be. :yup:
The bolts would be temporary. [emoji3]

Ddays

Hooked
What about existing stock brackets? Will tney get in the way? Will ineed new driveshafts? Im trying to plan it out....

Stock brackets get cut off and replaced so this is a no turning back deal without more major surgery. If you have a lift already then you should have all of the other requirements done with the exception of a little rework on the exhaust loop.
I asked Drew to email me a copy of the instructions today. If you PM me your email address I'll forward them on to you so you can see what's involved. Or do a search here - there are quite a few threads showing details of the install.

deezus

Stock brackets get cut off and replaced so this is a no turning back deal without more major surgery. If you have a lift already then you should have all of the other requirements done with the exception of a little rework on the exhaust loop.
I asked Drew to email me a copy of the instructions today. If you PM me your email address I'll forward them on to you so you can see what's involved. Or do a search here - there are quite a few threads showing details of the install.
Ty, i just saw E's write up. I think that if i do this, it will have to be done by a shop. Unfortunately, i dont know of any shop near me that could do it. Ive been contemplating this for awhile. Thought about just changing my springs and rear upper arms to Evo, cant stand the double heim joints RK uses, just not sure if EVOs will work,though.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Ty, i just saw E's write up. I think that if i do this, it will have to be done by a shop. Unfortunately, i dont know of any shop near me that could do it. Ive been contemplating this for awhile. Thought about just changing my springs and rear upper arms to Evo, cant stand the double heim joints RK uses, just not sure if EVOs will work,though.

Why wouldn't EVO's work? Joint width is a set dimension on all of the arms out there as they have to fit into the stock brackets

2DMTN

I'll be doing this lift in the next 6 months. It says bolt on, are you saying that bolting is not wise? Is anybody using this lift, bolt on only? What's been your experience?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Paws

I'll be doing this lift in the next 6 months. It says bolt on, are you saying that bolting is not wise? Is anybody using this lift, bolt on only? What's been your experience?
Thanks

For sure you can bolt this on and you could probably take it off-road. If it were me I would weld it.

I think what everyone is saying is that welding is the better more stronger route even if it's at a later date and not right away.

I did the bolt on track bar brackets and drove on them for a bit before I got to a shop to weld them. Did it work? Sure, it drove fine, but I didn't take it off road.

deezus

Why wouldn't EVO's work? Joint width is a set dimension on all of the arms out there as they have to fit into the stock brackets
Im not saying they wont just wondering if they will. Also, i always get input before i purchase something anymore,it has saved me money!

J

JKDream

For sure you can bolt this on and you could probably take it off-road. If it were me I would weld it.

I think what everyone is saying is that welding is the better more stronger route even if it's at a later date and not right away.

I did the bolt on track bar brackets and drove on them for a bit before I got to a shop to weld them. Did it work? Sure, it drove fine, but I didn't take it off road.

It works fine off road too, there's a difference between this kit and a bolted on track bar bracket.
The consensus is that the bolts require maintenance being frequently re-tightened, whereas welding does not.
You won't shear off brackets like a track bar bracket unless you didn't bother to tighten anything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks

As I had just stated in post #5, the problem with bolts is that they need to be re-tightened to their proper torque setting from time to time as a part of routine maintenance. This can be a pain on a kit like this as some of the bolts are pretty hard to get to and not maintaining them can result in brackets tearing off on the trail. Welding everything on will just help ensure things stay where they need to be.

deezus

As I had just stated in post #5, the problem with bolts is that they need to be re-tightened to their proper torque setting from time to time as a part of routine maintenance. This can be a pain on a kit like this as some of the bolts are pretty hard to get to and not maintaining them can result in brackets tearing off on the trail. Welding everything on will just help ensure things stay where they need to be.
This is why i have to ha e someone install it as i also have the QuietCrawler exhaust and want to have this lined up.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

Your going to love the way they make your jeep drive. Let us know what you think. Welding is the only way to go.

Ddays

Hooked
Your going to love the way they make your jeep drive. Let us know what you think. Welding is the only way to go.

Will do - I can't wait to see the difference. Talking to the Clayton rep (even though I didn't get their kit)and then talking to you about your Jeep pretty much made my mind up. :thumb:

Top Bottom