Retractable rock sliders

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I have some nerf bars on the Jeep currently. If I were to start riding on trails would I need to upgrade to rock sliders? If so do they make any that retract that can be used as steps? Or is it something that just stays in place and what do ppl use for steps? Thanks for any advice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

RageKage

I have these on my jeep. Got them more as steps for the wife but I liked how they retracted into rock sliders. Definitely not the sturdiest or stoutest design as they are body mounted, so don't expect them to take a very hard hit but might be what you're looking for. Also I took the locking latch out like it says in the video so they automatically retract back up.

Rampage retractable rock slider/step
https://youtu.be/bJ55p6sw6es

Image1499546339.821512.jpg up position
Image1499546372.018881.jpg down position. Doesn't take much force or effort for them to go down either.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

any4xx

I have no first hand experience, but this is only speculation: By definition, rock sliders have to be tough enough to crash into and support one side of your Jeep while you slide across a rock. I couldn't imagine a retractable mechanism weighing less than a few hundred pounds taking that sort of punishment without damage. My uneducated thought is that a retractable step and a good rock slider can't be one in the same. (?)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I have no first hand experience, but this is only speculation: By definition, rock sliders have to be tough enough to crash into and support one side of your Jeep while you slide across a rock. I couldn't imagine a retractable mechanism weighing less than a few hundred pounds taking that sort of punishment without damage. My uneducated thought is that a retractable step and a good rock slider can't be one in the same. (?)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have to agree.

BobNH

The other part I have wondered on with the retractable ones is they have to have a hinge, and from what I can see that hinge hangs down below the frame rail, giving another catch point and damage to the hinge affecting function. Just a guess as I haven't seen any in action yet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
I have some nerf bars on the Jeep currently. If I were to start riding on trails would I need to upgrade to rock sliders? If so do they make any that retract that can be used as steps? Or is it something that just stays in place and what do ppl use for steps? Thanks for any advice

Lol, steps. Get some rock sliders. And if a step is really needed get some saddle stirrups and anchor them to the seat bolt and flip out when needed.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I just need something that the wife and kids can use to climb into the Jeep. Thinking of grabbing the lod signature series. I'll just bring a step ladder if needed!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If your looking for a retractable slider do you really wheel hard enough to warrant sliders? Probably not. Maybe just get some steps.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If your looking for a retractable slider do you really wheel hard enough to warrant sliders? Probably not. Maybe just get some steps.
That's probably pretty accurate as I really don't know what to except since I haven't been offroading yet. I have steps right now, perhaps I just need to stick with those until what I'm doing offroad breaks them.

ADA OZ

Trying to find a happy medium is the problem. The retractable sliders are a great idea. However, as you mentioned if you go and do “wheel” then finding one that are strong enough are an issue. The RSE steps by themselves are indeed not strong enough. Get the extra skid of you acquire these steps.

Top Bottom