Evap-skid or relocate?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Just curious to see what people have done. The skid and relocation kit seem about the same price. I found a MC kit that relocates the evap behind and above the rear axle, seems like it would be protected well there. Just preference or has anyone experienced issues with the evo skid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

seansheds

I had to make the same decision and decided I preferred it to just be out of the way. I went with the JeepSwag kit, which was around $70 shipped, so cheaper than a skid. The kit was easy to install and now I don't have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Moby never came with a skid and I just wheeled it unprotected until I did an LS swap. Sure, I knocked it off a few times and had to replace it once but it really wasn't a big deal. I have it relocated now. On Rubicat, I just run the factory skid. Yeah, I've hit it a few times but it's held up fine for me. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler. If you're determined to spend some money, a skid will be a lot faster and easier to install.

mo0s3

Moby never came with a skid and I just wheeled it unprotected until I did an LS swap. Sure, I knocked it off a few times and had to replace it once but it really wasn't a big deal. I have it relocated now. On Rubicat, I just run the factory skid. Yeah, I've hit it a few times but it's held up fine for me. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler. If you're determined to spend some money, a skid will be a lot faster and easier to install.

Rofl why do you always say your a mall crawler [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mo0s3

LOL who's under side doesnt look like that? I need to visit more Malls apparently lol 16.5 gallons to fill my tank and factory says 18.5-22 lol

WJCO

Meme King
We were going to do the relocation but I didn't want to deal with it. We went with the skid from Rock hard 4x4. 10 minute job with an impact and some dirt in the eyes. Ours did not come with a skid at all.

Last edited:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have been wheeling mine without doing anything with the evap canister with no issues. They are also cheaper than you think if you do need to replace it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I agree with leaving it in place and alone. If you hit it you can knock the dent out of the skid or just leave alone.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Okay. I think I'll just leave it be. I don't intend to wheel that hard yet and it looks like it's only 60ish to replace anyways. Thanks everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Relocating is not difficult by any means. I moved mine above the rear axle and it cost me less than $20 to do it. I have not hit it once since. All the kits accomplish is making sure you don't have to go to a hardware store.

ThatChemicalGuy

I relocated mine when I put the fuel cell in the Jeep. But I did what Quicksilver mentioned and just did it with simple hand tools and a hardware store trip or two. I also disconnected it from the fuel system but that's a different story lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rofl why do you always say your a mall crawler [emoji23]

LOL! Habit I guess. There's always a badass or two that will chime in to contradict what I say or tell you why I'm wrong and really, I would never pretend to know more or have more experience than them.

Lol cuz he claims he ran over quite a few shopping carts at the mall parking lot..... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]������[emoji23][emoji23]��

I believe it....

You know, them shopping carts tend to bite :D

Okay. I think I'll just leave it be. I don't intend to wheel that hard yet and it looks like it's only 60ish to replace anyways. Thanks everyone

Yup, dirt cheap and unless you really suck at picking good lines or never use a spotter, the odds of you needing to replace it are pretty low. It's why I still run it where it came on Rubicat and 100,000 miles of driving out to the trail, wheeling and then driving it home later, it's still there.

mo0s3

LOL! Habit I guess. There's always a badass or two that will chime in to contradict what I say or tell you why I'm wrong and really, I would never pretend to know more or have more experience than them.

You know, them shopping carts tend to bite :D

Yup, dirt cheap and unless you really suck at picking good lines or never use a spotter, the odds of you needing to replace it are pretty low. It's why I still run it where it came on Rubicat and 100,000 miles of driving out to the trail, wheeling and then driving it home later, it's still there.

Haha fair enough :)

brooklyn4x4

I ripped mine off winching my self off a log I got high center on so I replaced it and while I was at it threw a $70 skid plate on it. A couple of wheeling trips later the skid still doesn't have a scratch on it and looks brand new. So really you don't need it but for the peice of mind I would say a skid is fine your not really gonna lose any ground clearance like to relocation kits claim.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

I had a credit with a vendor and purchased their skid. It was all of 5 minutes to install. I think it hangs down low, but no lower than anything else in its vicinity. I wouldn't mind relocating it up higher, but plan on doing an LS3 and didn't want to bother.

ItsTosh

I found a used Smittybilt skid for half price... Like others have said, it didn't have a scratch on it. But for $40, I know that I don't have to worry about it. It took about 5 mins to put on.

Top Bottom