BahamaBlue

bahamaguy

So, I figured I’d start a thread I can add to.

Backstory

Where I live a basic, stock, entry level Jeep will run about $48k. ( in the US, this would be your standard basic $23k model). Parts cost US price + 65% import duty + 7.5% tax on the sales price + shipping + duty. Basically 200% what you pay.

The single ‘dealer’ we have here is allowed to then tack on *up to* 75% profit, so of course does.

For reference, a Mopar Sway Bar Link:

Quadratec: $30

Local dealer quoted me : $117

One. Link.

So, clearly a new Jeep was out of the question, but I came across someone selling a salvage/rebuild here. 2010 JKU Sport.

No front end (diff shot, axle struggling, steering wheel upside down, minimal right hand turn, rolled, so passenger side a mess)

They wanted $20k

I wanted (needed?) to get back into a Jeep after 5 years losing my soul in a Ford Escape.

I asked the owner to get quotes (knowing the would be stupid high) on fixing the steering wheel, turning curve, and a bunch of other small bits, I knew I could fix in a couple hours.

$10k later (which for here is a steal), I own a Jeep again.

A project, but a Jeep.

So, welcome to ‘Blue’. The name may change (my daughter won’t let me call him Groot - I thought it was fitting, as Groot simply regrows when destroyed)

IMG_0020.jpg

To date, I haven’t done a whole lot, due to lack of funds, but have:

Recentered the steering wheel, which in turn fixed the turning curve. (20 minute job a shop quoted the seller $1200 to sort!!)
Added some cheap Quadratec side steps
Replaced tie rods -stock part
Replaced drag link -stock part
Replaced ball joints - synergy HD’s (had someone do that as beyond my skill level!)
Replaced radio with a cheap Kenwood head (needed Bluetooth for phone/wife, now have CarPlay - $350US)

‘Pretty stuff’:
Blacked out wheels & front hood emblem (my 12 year old daughter insisted!)

So much to do....

While I know it’s the most upsetting thing to many here, I’m desperately searching for a basic, stock, standard Dana 30 front axle with 3.73 gears... at the moment I have a slightly bent housing and no front drive shaft, so to me, stock will be an improvement (and remember the upgrade you pay $4k for will cost me 8-12k)

Then a small lift (island is 21 miles by 7 miles, so off roading limited!) and some 33’s

Then...

soft top....
respray...
upgrade bits here and there...
who knows.

At the end of the day I love my broken, battered and limping Jeep. (As does my daughter who cried for two days straight when I had to sell my red ‘99)

Might be the most unexciting thread ever for you all, but I want to keep track of things as I go. Sorry,

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

bahamaguy

Oh, also managed an oil change and new rear brake pads. Minor, but I’m a photographer, so to me it was, um, and adventure.

Here’s kiddo dulling down that front logo that annoyed her so much (she’s like her father - build in adversity to shiny chrome stuff!)

IMG_4842.jpg

And a couple more of Blue out with the doggits.

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

JJP

Awesome story and very cool!!!! I like Groot... Wish i had the parts your looking for, but im new to the life as well and working the war department for my own funding for a lift and 35's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

bahamaguy

Awesome story and very cool!!!! I like Groot... Wish i had the parts your looking for, but im new to the life as well and working the war department for my own funding for a lift and 35's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, I want Groot. Hard to veto a 12 year old who you love more than your Jeep though! ;)

Good luck on your own journey!!

Last edited:

thereich

I feel like it would be cheaper to fly into the Contiguous 50, buy what you needed, then fly back. Congrats on getting back in a jeep :thumb:

bahamaguy

I feel like it would be cheaper to fly into the Contiguous 50, buy what you needed, then fly back. Congrats on getting back in a jeep :thumb:

For smaller stuff, that will definitely be an option, as we get a $600 annual exemption for things we personally bring in as luggage when we travel. I can definitely stretch that to the max!

But... don’t think I can fit a Dana 30, which is current priority, in my luggage - gonna have to ship that one in - hoping one may crop up somewhere sooner rather than later for a decent price.

And cheers - it feels soooo good to be back in jeep world!

BahamaBlue/Groot - 2010 JKU Sport (rebuild) - Nassau, Bahamas.

RUBEERCON

Grab a Kalik for me! Cheers!
Cool story!

How do you keep your Jeep from rusting away over there? I have seen some crazy rust issues over in Bimini and South Florida.
IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom