PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this nutsert tool

biggy
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Found this on ebay and judging by the youtube vid seems to work well. I confirmed that it will work with 1/4-20 nutserts. My evo carrier has shipped out and im looking for a cost effective tool. What do you think?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=400300034757

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't. I bet the harbor freight one is stronger.

MTG
02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Biggy. I've used the HF ones (one my tock skins) and while they work, they are cheaply made and frustrating at best. Frankly I am just not patient enough to use them again.

I'm looking to buy one like this. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-Riveter/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360776177&sr=8-3&keywords=nutsert

It's a little more $, but I think in the end the additional cost will be worth it. :thumb:

Good luck! I'll be doing mine soon too. Maybe we can compare notes. :cheesy:

Edit: Just watched the video. That might work pretty good. It will take longer but I like the metal block it has to support the area around the hole.

biggy
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't. I bet the harbor freight one is stronger.

Not sure about that. There isnt much to break on this one. Its just a couple blocks of aluminum and bolts.

OverlanderJK
02-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Not sure about that. There isnt much to break on this one. Its just a couple blocks of aluminum and bolts.

That's what I'm saying. Its cheap.

biggy
02-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Biggy. I've used the HF ones (one my tock skins) and while they work, they are cheaply made and frustrating at best. Frankly I am just not patient enough to use them again.

I'm looking to buy one like this. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-Riveter/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360776177&sr=8-3&keywords=nutsert

It's a little more $, but I think in the end the additional cost will be worth it. :thumb:

Good luck! I'll be doing mine soon too. Maybe we can compare notes. :cheesy:

Edit: Just watched the video. That might work pretty good. It will take longer but I like the metal block it has to support the area around the hole.

Not a bad price on the one your looking at. Kind of gets mixed reviews though on amazon. The one on ebay seems to go fairly quickly when using a drill.

MTG
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM

They are all cheap at this price point. They just have to be strong enough to last the 24 or so nutserts you are putting in. :yup:

MTG
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Not a bad price on the one your looking at. Kind of gets mixed reviews though on amazon

Yeah, that first one especially. ;) I just did a quick search for that type, let me look at my emails for the exact one I was looking at. Really, I just want one that uses two hands with a longer throw, rather than the one hand grip versions from HF.

biggy
02-13-2013, 05:43 PM

There really isnt any moving parts to break though like hinges and handles and such. To me it looks pretty solid.. Did you watch the vid?

FoxC
02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
My HF tool lasted until the very last nutsert when installing my rocker skins and then basically exploded/imploded all at once. I guess I got lucky. I had to crush the nutsert in increments though. I couldnt do it one "squeeze". I had to squeeze-tighten-squeeze several times on each nutsert to get it done. My forearms where done!:grayno:
A two hand tool would be nice...:yup:

OverlanderJK
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
There really isnt any moving parts to break though like hinges and handles and such. To me it looks pretty solid.. Did you watch the vid?

Just watched it. I guess it does look pretty solid. My only thing is that I have seen the frustration people have from cheap nutsert tools, just don't want you to have the same thing.

biggy
02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Just watched it. I guess it does look pretty solid. My only thing is that I have seen the frustration people have from cheap nutsert tools, just don't want you to have the same thing.

They seems to be a pita for sure. Just hate to spent 150.00 + for quality tool im going to probably use for one install. Maybe Ill have be the guinea pig on this one. Not sure yet.

Sharkey
02-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I think we broke two tools doing MTG's skins. Nutserts are fuuuunnnnn!

OverlanderJK
02-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I think we broke two tools doing MTG's skins. Nutserts are fuuuunnnnn!

I think he said you were going to do all the work on the next ones while he drinks. :honey:

kaptkrappy
02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Found this on ebay and judging by the youtube vid seems to work well. I confirmed that it will work with 1/4-20 nutserts. My evo carrier has shipped out and im looking for a cost effective tool. What do you think?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=400300034757

Hey biggy,

If you are going to buy the nutsert tool like on Ebay, you can get it directly from the manufacturer here in the USA and avoid the 2-3 week shipping time from the UK.

Rivetnuttools.com

(http://www.rivetnuttool.com/).

biggy
02-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Hey biggy,

If you are going to buy the nutsert tool like on Ebay, you can get it directly from the manufacturer here in the USA and avoid the 2-3 week shipping time from the UK.

Rivetnuttools.com

Great!! Thanks for the link.

JAGS
02-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey biggy,

Rivetnuttools.com

It says not for use with stainless steel nutserts. Any idea what material EVO uses for its nutserts?

dchew
02-14-2013, 06:42 AM
It says not for use with stainless steel nutserts. Any idea what material EVO uses for its nutserts?

They are plated steel. Cadmium I think. I bought the Marson tool and got a few stainless inserts so I would have some to test while setting up the tool. I had assumed EVO provided stainless. Once the rock skins arrived I saw the nutserts from EVO were not stainless.

No big surprise why EVO doesn't use stainless; they are like $5 each!

Dave

biggy
02-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I went ahead and ordered the tool. Ill let everyone know how it works out.

MTG
02-14-2013, 04:55 PM
I went ahead and ordered the tool. Ill let everyone know how it works out.

Cool! When does your carrier arrive? Looking at my schedule, you might beat me to the install. :grayno:

biggy
02-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Cool! When does your carrier arrive? Looking at my schedule, you might beat me to the install. :grayno:

Im up in Canada so who the hell knows. It shipped from evo last week to northridge then from there on a truck to Stan at northridge canada which is in alberta. Then Stan ships it to me. So anytime in the next six months haha. Then I need to find time to install which is difficult as I tend to work a tad to much. But hey I need to pay for these part somehow. I also have gears, trampstamp,stabilizer relocator,trucklite led taillights, oro liteplate on their way as well.

MTG
02-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Alright, in a cold medicine induced stupor I ordered both of these tools today. I am not sure the manual one will show up in time, but I thought I'd give them both a shot and see what works better. Either way, I'm guessing after the install I'll have a couple of nutsert tools for sale. LOL!

Skid_Kid
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Alright, in a cold medicine induced stupor I ordered both of these tools today. I am not sure the manual one will show up in time, but I thought I'd give them both a shot and see what works better. Either way, I'm guessing after the install I'll have a couple of nutsert tools for sale. LOL!

How much Robitussen and Honey have you drank today! Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS
02-26-2013, 11:43 PM

Which amazon model did you go with? I'm looking to do my skins. There were a couple with "bolt cutter" two handed form factor at prices from $45-$75ish+.

Ha ha, you saw my post. I think MTG's a little numb at the moment. :crazyeyes:

MTG
02-27-2013, 12:41 AM

Unfortunately I've had neither. :grayno: I figure for $30 I'd give it a shot, and if it helps someone else out that is looking to buy one that's great! More importantly, if it keeps me from having to use those POS harbor freight ones again, it will be worth it's weight in gold. :thumb:

MTG
02-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Which amazon model did you go with? I'm looking to do my skins. There were a couple with "bolt cutter" two handed form factor at prices from $45-$75ish+.

The Astro one I posted above. Around $60 something.

I think MTG's a little numb at the moment. :crazyeyes:

I wish is was. :yup:

crippledpetey
02-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Here is the Westward (5TUW5) one I bought. I used two of the Harbor Freight ones and both of them broke after twisting the nutserts sideways, which is a pain in the a$$ to deal with! I figure I will use it for both our jeeps then sell it if I'm not using it any longer. :yep:

JAGS
02-27-2013, 01:32 AM
The Astro one I posted above. Around $60 something.

Here is the Westward (5TUW5) one I bought. I used two of the Harbor Freight ones and both of them broke after twisting the nutserts sideways, which is a pain in the a$$ to deal with! I figure I will use it for both our jeeps then sell it if I'm not using it any longer. :yep:

Let us know your thoughts compared to others on form and function.

Thanks. 👍

crippledpetey
02-27-2013, 01:34 AM
It worked perfect!! Super easy to use, set up and great quality. It is pretty expensive at about $100 but I figure for the amount of nutserts I'm installing it is well worth it. Plus if I can sell after it will help save me and another some cash!

biggy
02-27-2013, 03:23 AM

Mine is still in the mail as well as my carrier:crazyeyes::crazyeyes:. I ordered the carrier before christmas. Oh well its to cold to install anything here anyways. Let me know how the cheap tool works out for you.

MTG
02-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Mine is still in the mail as well as my carrier:crazyeyes::crazyeyes:. I ordered the carrier before christmas. Oh well its to cold to install anything here anyways. Let me know how the cheap tool works out for you.

It's too cold to do the install here too, but hopefully that will not stop us. LOL! :cheesy:

MTG
02-28-2013, 03:10 AM
This one comes with a fancy orange/red case. It must be good. :crazyeyes:

crippledpetey
02-28-2013, 03:13 AM

That one looks good!

biggy
02-28-2013, 03:26 AM
Looks like you have some 1/4 -20's to practice with.

Atch
02-28-2013, 03:29 AM

I'm anxious to see how you like this tool. I'm on the fence if I want to fight nutserts again

MTG
02-28-2013, 04:11 AM
Looks like you have some 1/4 -20's to practice with.

Practice? Where's the fun in that? :cheesy:

Skid_Kid
02-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Practice? Where's the fun in that? :cheesy:

Hide your Jeeps from MTG! He does not want to practice on his, but others might be fair game!

Sharkey
02-28-2013, 04:33 AM

You have some pipe for the ends of that tool so you can get enough leverage to set the nutserts? :cheesy:cheesy:

MTG
02-28-2013, 04:34 AM
You have some pipe for the ends of that tool so you can get enough leverage to set the nutserts? :cheesy:cheesy:

LOL! That's why you're coming over. Bringing the muscle.

Sharkey
02-28-2013, 04:43 AM
^^ LOL! Ya, right. How many nutserts are we talking about anyway? More or less than the skins we put on?

Sharkey
02-28-2013, 04:45 AM
BTW...make sure to let me know if I need to bring anything tool-wise. I may have some extra ratchet straps, and I'm assuming my long level (or laser level) may help.

LoPo
02-28-2013, 04:52 AM
If you need any additional hands or a great taste in beer, let me know.

MTG
02-28-2013, 05:28 AM
If you need any additional hands or a great taste in beer, let me know.

Why? You know someone? :cheesy:

We are starting early Sunday, come on over.

Dave_g
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
I was looking into using one of those for a panel I plan on mounting on my rockhard roll cage, I had them not weld it Because I would prefer it to be removeable

biggy
02-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Look what showed up today. Its smaller then what it looks like on the web.

rinkishjk
02-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Look what showed up today. Its smaller then what it looks like on the web.

Please post up how it works for u when u use it.

biggy
03-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Just tried it on some scrap metal and it worked great. After the hole was drilled it probably took 2min to install the nutsert. For one I used a ratchet for the bolt and the second I used a drill. It was very easy to use. Now I used the aluminum nutserts that came in the kit so Im sure the steel ones evo sends out will take more effort, but if you use a drill its easy on the arms. Worth the money I believe.

crippledpetey
03-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Just tried it on some scrap metal and it worked great. After the hole was drilled it probably took 2min to install the nutsert. For one I used a ratchet for the bolt and the second I used a drill. It was very easy to use. Now I used the aluminum nutserts that came in the kit so Im sure the steel ones evo sends out will take more effort, but if you use a drill its easy on the arms. Worth the money I believe.

Watch using the drill on the sheet metal on the rubi it is very thin :yup: I tried it and saw some warping before it was even close to being set. Just a warning.

rinkishjk
03-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Looks like it worked great. I would probably do it by hand so u have more control. Either way it looks like a decent tool.

MTG
03-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Look what showed up today...

Going to have dueling nutsert battle royale!

Sharkey
03-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Dude. That's wrong especially given the conversation in the other thread. :cheesy:

biggy
03-02-2013, 03:15 AM
Look what showed up today...

Going to have dueling nutsert battle royale!

I wonder who will be victorious. Goodluck on the install. My evo stuff gets here monday so I will be taking notes.;)

MTG
03-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Happy to report the one we bought of Amazon worked fantastically! :thumb:

Sorry to report, it worked so good we didn't even bother to open the $30 one. :grayno:

Someone else will have to be the guinea pig.

biggy
03-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Happy to report the one we bought of Amazon worked fantastically! :thumb:

Sorry to report, it worked so good we didn't even bother to open the $30 one. :grayno:

Someone else will have to be the guinea pig.

I guess that will be me. One corner and some parts of the carrier showed up today.