Thoughts on this nutsert tool

MTG

Caught the Bug
Biggy. I've used the HF ones (one my tock skins) and while they work, they are cheaply made and frustrating at best. Frankly I am just not patient enough to use them again.

I'm looking to buy one like this. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...e=UTF8&qid=1360776177&sr=8-3&keywords=nutsert

It's a little more $, but I think in the end the additional cost will be worth it. :thumb:

Good luck! I'll be doing mine soon too. Maybe we can compare notes. :cheesy:

Edit: Just watched the video. That might work pretty good. It will take longer but I like the metal block it has to support the area around the hole.

Last edited:

biggy

Biggy. I've used the HF ones (one my tock skins) and while they work, they are cheaply made and frustrating at best. Frankly I am just not patient enough to use them again.

I'm looking to buy one like this. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...e=UTF8&qid=1360776177&sr=8-3&keywords=nutsert

It's a little more $, but I think in the end the additional cost will be worth it. :thumb:

Good luck! I'll be doing mine soon too. Maybe we can compare notes. :cheesy:

Edit: Just watched the video. That might work pretty good. It will take longer but I like the metal block it has to support the area around the hole.

Not a bad price on the one your looking at. Kind of gets mixed reviews though on amazon. The one on ebay seems to go fairly quickly when using a drill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Not a bad price on the one your looking at. Kind of gets mixed reviews though on amazon

Yeah, that first one especially. ;) I just did a quick search for that type, let me look at my emails for the exact one I was looking at. Really, I just want one that uses two hands with a longer throw, rather than the one hand grip versions from HF.

FoxC

My HF tool lasted until the very last nutsert when installing my rocker skins and then basically exploded/imploded all at once. I guess I got lucky. I had to crush the nutsert in increments though. I couldnt do it one "squeeze". I had to squeeze-tighten-squeeze several times on each nutsert to get it done. My forearms where done!:grayno:
A two hand tool would be nice...:yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There really isnt any moving parts to break though like hinges and handles and such. To me it looks pretty solid.. Did you watch the vid?

Just watched it. I guess it does look pretty solid. My only thing is that I have seen the frustration people have from cheap nutsert tools, just don't want you to have the same thing.

biggy

Just watched it. I guess it does look pretty solid. My only thing is that I have seen the frustration people have from cheap nutsert tools, just don't want you to have the same thing.

They seems to be a pita for sure. Just hate to spent 150.00 + for quality tool im going to probably use for one install. Maybe Ill have be the guinea pig on this one. Not sure yet.

kaptkrappy

Found this on ebay and judging by the youtube vid seems to work well. I confirmed that it will work with 1/4-20 nutserts. My evo carrier has shipped out and im looking for a cost effective tool. What do you think?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=400300034757

Hey biggy,

If you are going to buy the nutsert tool like on Ebay, you can get it directly from the manufacturer here in the USA and avoid the 2-3 week shipping time from the UK.

Rivetnuttools.com

dchew

Caught the Bug
It says not for use with stainless steel nutserts. Any idea what material EVO uses for its nutserts?

They are plated steel. Cadmium I think. I bought the Marson tool and got a few stainless inserts so I would have some to test while setting up the tool. I had assumed EVO provided stainless. Once the rock skins arrived I saw the nutserts from EVO were not stainless.

No big surprise why EVO doesn't use stainless; they are like $5 each!

Dave

biggy

I went ahead and ordered the tool. Ill let everyone know how it works out.

Top Bottom