Switched power source

60RD0

Thanks @Frydaddy. Would you know if I could tap into those fuses to power my led bar i plan to install? I do not want to have constant power as I am afraid it will drain my battery.

Or does it matter, as long as I don't leave the switch on the ON position, and I'm just being paranoid? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Thanks @Frydaddy. Would you know if I could tap into those fuses to power my led bar i plan to install? I do not want to have constant power as I am afraid it will drain my battery.
Or does it matter, as long as I don't leave the switch on the ON position, and I'm just being paranoid? [emoji23]
Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome to the forum! Stop by and introduce yourself in the Give Us A Wave section. (https://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php/11-Give-us-a-Wave)

With all mods, I suggest powering all accessories from your own powered bus. That means running a *fused* wire from the battery to a relay, that is signaled from a switch within the cabin. The goal is to get your power wire properly sized, fused, and as reasonably short as possible. The signaling wires can be any length, and a smaller size, as a relay and indicators will not draw much power.

With the technology in modern vehicles, i strongly suggest against sourcing any heavy loads from the existing wiring, unless you know exactly what you're getting into. I like to find a reliable source for the key switch ACC signal. Its fau paux to use the cigarette lighter power, but so long as it is just for signal power(switches, indicators, and relays) it think it will be ok for a quick job.

As for draining the battery, as long as it is off, youll be fine, but I like your thinking. Take the cigarette power, run it to your switch, then out to the relay Coil side, and finally ground. Then have a thicker gauge wire from the battery, directly to a fuse, then to the relay Contact side, and finally to the light bar, and ground.

Top Bottom