PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

LoPo
02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I think a few people around here are welders, so I throw this question out. If I wanted to start learning how to weld, what would you recommend? The local community college has welding classes that I've attempted to get into for the past 4 years, but personal schedule always seems to conflict. Are there youtube videos that might be recommended? What about a solid welder to start with? Any other suggestions?

I realized if I could weld and had mobile tools, I could have repaired my jeep at KOH last week and avoid limping around and driving it home in that state, which ended up not being too safe.

TIA.

wayoflife
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
I think a few people around here are welders, so I throw this question out. If I wanted to start learning how to weld, what would you recommend? The local community college has welding classes that I've attempted to get into for the past 4 years, but personal schedule always seems to conflict. Are there youtube videos that might be recommended? What about a solid welder to start with? Any other suggestions?

I realized if I could weld and had mobile tools, I could have repaired my jeep at KOH last week and avoid limping around and driving it home in that state, which ended up not being too safe.

TIA.

LOL!! You were totally safe. If I thought you wouldn't be, I would have welded you up with the welder I had with me :D

I'm not expert at welding and but can get the job done well enough. If you can't take a class, I would get a basic mig welder and start practicing. Most welders will come with enough info on what it should be set at for the thickness of the steel you plan to work on and then the rest is just a matter of doing it enough that you become comfortable at it. Practice makes better and do it long enough will make you good at it. Of course, there are some people who are just naturals at it like Cindy :crazyeyes:

kaptkrappy
02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I watch the videos from these sites.

Welding-TV.com (http://welding-tv.com/)

Lincoln Electric has a YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/lincolnelectrictv)

gtony12
02-13-2013, 06:32 PM
I picked up a mig welder at Harbor Frieght for $110.00 and just started welding on what ever metal I could find. I taught myself, look on u-tube there are some good how to video's.... :yup:

OverlanderJK
02-13-2013, 06:33 PM
I bought the harbor freight special $99 mig welder a few months back. Taught myself to lay a bead and just need to practice more. I also have a book "How to Weld" by Todd Bridigum which has helped a bit. As Eddie said practice makes you better.

I was talking with Mike about this at KOH, thought you were there but I guess not. I have been trying to get into a class as well but at this point I think I would be bored in the basic class as I have welded now but I don't know enough to take the advanced.

JKAnimal
02-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Lincoln Electric has a YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/lincolnelectrictv)

That's a great resource! Thanks for posting it up! :thumb:

LoPo
02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
LOL!! You were totally safe. If I thought you wouldn't be, I would have welded you up with the welder I had with me :D

hehe... well actually I had a lot of issues driving home with the Jeep jumping lanes, acceleration/down shifts when the suspension rose, it would dart left. Decelleration / up shifts, the front end dips, and the jeep darted right. I was glad I hit the blizzard on my way home as it forced me to stay at lower speed limits anyways. The Jeep is also now sagging to the side with the missing arm and the coilover coils are all twisted and out of place. I'm assuming it's all related because none of that was occurring prior to the break. It goes to the shop next week, they are going to clean up the bracket and frame then reweld with additional reinforcement and gussets. Also they are going to inspect the rest of the brackets and remedy as well. The guys knew exactly the problem with the weld, I didn't quit catch what type of weld they called it because I was in a hurry to make it to an appointment, but they said given the type of weld and lack of penetration they weren't surprised that it broke.

I'm not expert at welding and but can get the job done well enough. If you can't take a class, I would get a basic mig welder and start practicing. Most welders will come with enough info on what it should be set at for the thickness of the steel you plan to work on and then the rest is just a matter of doing it enough that you become comfortable at it. Practice makes better and do it long enough will make you good at it. Of course, there are some people who are just naturals at it like Cindy :crazyeyes:

Thanks, would you suggest I start with a mobile welder or something that stays in my garage?

awesome, thanks!

MTG
02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
It goes to the shop next week, they are going to clean up the bracket and frame then reweld with additional reinforcement and gussets. Also they are going to inspect the rest of the brackets and remedy as well. The guys knew exactly the problem with the weld, I didn't quit catch what type of weld they called it because I was in a hurry to make it to an appointment, but they said given the type of weld and lack of penetration they weren't surprised that it broke.

I like the guys at that shop. Glad you were able to get it in so soon. They normally have a 2-3 week waiting period. Looks like Knuckles is going to have company down there. :thumb:

Thanks, would you suggest I start with a mobile welder or something that stays in my garage?

I was wondering this too. I was leaning toward a mobile one just to have the option. But I'm curious what the downside would be.

OverlanderJK
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
I was wondering this too. I was leaning toward a mobile one just to have the option. But I'm curious what the downside would be.

Price. Mobile welders are expensive especially if its a learning tool. If you decide you don't like it its a lot of money to throw away. And you would have to have your rig right there in order to use it.

wayoflife
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
hehe... well actually I had a lot of issues driving home with the Jeep jumping lanes, acceleration/down shifts when the suspension rose, it would dart left. Decelleration / up shifts, the front end dips, and the jeep darted right. I was glad I hit the blizzard on my way home as it forced me to stay at lower speed limits anyways. The Jeep is also now sagging to the side with the missing arm and the coilover coils are all twisted and out of place. I'm assuming it's all related because none of that was occurring prior to the break.

Hmmm, if that is true, there are other things you really should be looking at as missing one control arm shouldn't have resulted in what you were experiencing. Could be you have a blown joint on one of the other links or maybe the lowers aren't set a bit off.

You can use a mobile welder but if you, try to get one that doesn't need to be hooked up to your batteries. Also, try to get one that will allow you to run gas as opposed to just flux core. It'll help you to have cleaner welds and in my opinion, make learning easier. On the trail, using flux alone will be fine.

wayoflife
02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Price. Mobile welders are expensive especially if its a learning tool. If you decide you don't like it its a lot of money to throw away. And you would have to have your rig right there in order to use it.

I'd have to agree with this. I've owned a Premier and now a Hobart and they are not cheap.

JKAnimal
02-13-2013, 07:06 PM
I'd have to agree with this. I've owned a Premier and now a Hobart and they are not cheap.

Do you use a wire welder or manual feed?

wayoflife
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Do you use a wire welder or manual feed?

I have a wire welder

LoPo
02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmmm, if that is true, there are other things you really should be looking at as missing one control arm shouldn't have resulted in what you were experiencing. Could be you have a blown joint on one of the other links or maybe the lowers aren't set a bit off.

Yeah good call on the joints.

You can use a mobile welder but if you, try to get one that doesn't need to be hooked up to your batteries. Also, try to get one that will allow you to run gas as opposed to just flux core. It'll help you to have cleaner welds and in my opinion, make learning easier. On the trail, using flux alone will be fine.

OK, gas it is! :thumb:

TheDuff
02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
if you have 240 in your garage you will have lots of choices. but if your like me with no 240, its either the harbor freight flux core or spending alot more on something that can do 120/240 and flux/mig :shock:

LoPo
02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
if you have 240 in your garage you will have lots of choices. but if your like me with no 240, its either the harbor freight flux core or spending alot more on something that can do 120/240 and flux/mig :shock:

I'm pretty sure I have 240 in the garage, I just need to move a shelf to confirm.:)

TheDuff
02-13-2013, 08:16 PM
if you do then you can go mig pretty cheap :thumb:

gtony12
02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I have 240 in the garage, I just need to move a shelf to confirm.:)

If you have a washer and dryer in garage should have a 240 vac there, may need to change wall plug :twocents:

Rebel JK
02-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Im no expert either but for the house I went with the Lincoln weld pak 140. It's an entry level wire feed unit home depot had for around 400$. I opted for this one because it can use flux core wire for welding outside in windy conditions or run argon/ox mix with the solid core wire when I want a nicer weld and can do it without much wind. This one operates on a standard 120 volt outlet and does everything Up to 3/16 pretty well. It claims to go up to 1/4" but will need multiple passes using .035 wire. One other nice thing is you can run a spool gun for doing aluminum.
I also have an old Lincoln stick welder I use for the heavy jobs that is 220 volt. A certified welder friend of mine says the key is practice. Especially upside down,vertical etc. Seems that when my stuff breaks, it's usually in an awkward location.

ARTY2
02-17-2013, 05:14 PM
X2 on the last post. Like vehicles there's no one that does everything perfect. The 110 version of the Lincoln or Miller or Hobart does probably 90% of what you will ever need to on your vehicle. I would suggest finding a friend that does decent welding, buy yourself a good auto darkening helmet and a pizza and assorted beverages and watch him and ask questions as he works. A lot of guys sling wire and rod but don't know why or what. Then get a unit and practice practice. I still don't pass up any extra metal that I can get to practice on. After you get decent at flat work then start doing the odd positions. Don't forget you drag rod and push wire. Oh yeah when you get thinking you're Willie the welder go Tig young man Go Tig!! I will say it's not like riding abide to be a good welder you have to keep current by practicing occasionally.

FrankenJeeper
02-17-2013, 05:44 PM
I've always favored stick welding myself.

When my buddies and I go wheeling we carry a couple spare batteries, jumper cables, hood, gloves and a handful of 309 stainless rods.

Poor man's welder for sure!

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Off Road Evolution
02-23-2013, 07:43 AM

Cindy had a good teacher ..,

ssh6314
02-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Gas is a must imo. You wont get the penetration, or the clean beads without it. Harbor freight specials spatter like nothing I've ever seen, and spatter going into your weld just leaves an air pocket. Then its just a matter of when. Not if. It breaks. Theres a lot to it. But anyone can learn tack welds or small tack beads easily enough. If you have the cash and the option, always get the gas with a wire feed.

Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.

CarsonCindy
02-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Yes I did!! Thanks Mel! :)

wayoflife
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM

Sure as hell wasn't me :)

Yes I did!! Thanks Mel! :)

And the truth comes out 😱😁

paychex.308
02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I wish I had learned to weld growing up. My pops is a welding instructor at Cerritos college and has welded his entire adult life. I do know one of the biggest things is getting familiar with your temps and materials. You need to know what you can weld on, i.e. steel vs aluminum and such. But practice practice practice. Learn basic stuff like flat beads and once you have that down you can move on to more technical stuff like fills and verticals and the like. Good Luck!

sent from my Razr-M while driving my JK-U.......

catahoula
10-24-2013, 11:56 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I have not welded in a few years. Just welded with gas and stick. I may be showing my age. I need to get a mig and just finished watching some of these videos from Welding-TV. Thanks for sharing that. To summarize...looks like mig with gas is way to go.

ridg3runner
10-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I have not welded in a few years. Just welded with gas and stick. I may be showing my age. I need to get a mig and just finished watching some of these videos from Welding-TV. Thanks for sharing that. To summarize...looks like mig with gas is way to go.

Let me know when you're ready, we'll burn some wire. I have a brandnew mig and a bunch of small projects to do.:D

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

SDG
10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
A real nice little portable welder is the miller passport. You can use a small little co2 tank for gas and the 110/220 power option makes it real nice. Still kicking myself for passing one up on CL about a year ago.

With a bernard gun you can also mig Al. Which is a pretty cool option.

MR.Ty
09-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Have a few questions for the welders among us. How did you learn to weld, what type of welding do you use on your Jeep and why? I would like to learn and I would like some help in figuring out how to go about learning. Thanks in advance for the replies. :thumb:

jnabird333
09-03-2014, 08:24 PM
OJT and later I took a class at my local vocational school to be certified. I use MIG on my Jeep the most. When fabricating I prefer TIG, but no longer have a set up to allow me to do this. I never have been able to stick weld worth a crap (especially vertical).

If you don't have time for a class buy a decent MIG welder and get some scrap metal.... Then turn to YouTube. There is lots of good info there.

I would suggest at least 180A machine to properly weld brackets and such on your Jeep.

pastorwug
09-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Look for a class at your local Jr. College - ours has wonderful Welding Classes

mikefishes
09-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Have a few questions for the welders among us. How did you learn to weld, what type of welding do you use on your Jeep and why? I would like to learn and I would like some help in figuring out how to go about learning. Thanks in advance for the replies. :thumb:

I know you are a few hours away, but there is a pretty cool class here held by a local shop in NoVA that is usually taught over a weekend every few months. They are pretty well reviewed by some of the local jeepers.

PM me for details. If it's a 2 day event there are plenty of places to stay locally.

pvanweelden
09-03-2014, 08:34 PM
A few suggestions-
I would try to find someone local and get tips from them, and hopefully they will let you try welding with their equipment before you spend $ only to realize you don't have the patience for welding.
Check out a local community college for evening or Saturday classes.
Pick up a decent welder, helmet, gloves, etc and scrap metal and start practicing.

MR.Ty
09-03-2014, 08:37 PM
OJT and later I took a class at my local vocational school to be certified. I use MIG on my Jeep the most. When fabricating I prefer TIG, but no longer have a set up to allow me to do this. I never have been able to stick weld worth a crap (especially vertical).

If you don't have time for a class buy a decent MIG welder and get some scrap metal.... Then turn to YouTube. There is lots of good info there.

I would suggest at least 180A machine to properly weld brackets and such on your Jeep.

Any particular brand or are they mostly the same?

Thanks for the reply. :thumb:

MR.Ty
09-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Look for a class at your local Jr. College - ours has wonderful Welding Classes

I feel kind of silly now. I didn't think to look at community college. Most of the info I found was about being an apprentis at a shop, which I don't really have time for.

I know you are a few hours away, but there is a pretty cool class here held by a local shop in NoVA that is usually taught over a weekend every few months. They are pretty well reviewed by some of the local jeepers.

PM me for details. If it's a 2 day event there are plenty of places to stay locally.

That would be cool. I'll shoot you a PM.

A few suggestions-
I would try to find someone local and get tips from them, and hopefully they will let you try welding with their equipment before you spend $ only to realize you don't have the patience for welding.
Check out a local community college for evening or Saturday classes.
Pick up a decent welder, helmet, gloves, etc and scrap metal and start practicing.

That is a worry of mine. I hope I like it becuase I do have an interest in doing a junk yard build one day. I'll check out what the community college I'm going to has to offer. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

jnabird333
09-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Any particular brand or are they mostly the same?

Thanks for the reply. :thumb:

I like Lincoln welders, but have also used Miller. Both are great and won't let you down. Hobart makes some nice welders, but I think their ground clamps and guns are cheap feeling when compared to others in the same price range.

There are all sorts of cheap China made ones too... I can't comment on them as I've never used one.

Canvas JK
09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
I was at Lowe's a few months back and they were discontinuing the Lincoln 125 Flexcore welders and picked up one. It is still in the box due to all the stuff going on. Anyway check a couple of pawn shops for welders. Might be able to get one fairly inexpensive. I am in the same boat about wanting to learn just do not have the time right now.

MR.Ty
09-03-2014, 10:29 PM
I was at Lowe's a few months back and they were discontinuing the Lincoln 125 Flexcore welders and picked up one. It is still in the box due to all the stuff going on. Anyway check a couple of pawn shops for welders. Might be able to get one fairly inexpensive. I am in the same boat about wanting to learn just do not have the time right now.

I bet it is hard with your huge move you've got going on. Ill start browsing the pawn shops, thanks for the idea. :thumbup:

2014 JKUR

MR.Ty
09-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely given me a better sense of direction. :beer:

2014 JKUR

gtony12
09-03-2014, 10:37 PM
I bought a wire feed welder from Harbor Freight for $99.00, works great and weld allot with it. I will be doing my C's and CA skids here soon.:thumb:

SDG
09-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Figure out what you want to weld before you buy a welder... and by what I mean thickness.

Most 120v welders are crap and dont have the duty cycle to weld even 3/16" steel for very long (10 to 20% duty cycle).

Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart make good machines, but would stay away from the home depot specials because of the poor duty cycle.

I would personally not weld anything structural on a vehicle with a 120v welder.

Take a class at a local community college to decide if you actually like it. If you do, check out craigs list for a used miller or lincoln 220v. Assuming you can put a 220 service in your garage.

Do not buy a 220v 3 phase welder, they are tempting because they are cheap, but your house wont have 3 phase, and getting a drop from the electric co is big $$, and so are inverters.

I like to stick weld, but thats because I have a stick machine, and you can do it outside. If I had a nice 220 mig like a miller 212 I would prefer mig. Then you can get a spool gun and do Al too.

MR.Ty
09-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Figure out what you want to weld before you buy a welder... and by what I mean thickness.

Most 120v welders are crap and dont have the duty cycle to weld even 3/16" steel for very long (10 to 20% duty cycle).

Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart make good machines, but would stay away from the home depot specials because of the poor duty cycle.

I would personally not weld anything structural on a vehicle with a 120v welder.

Take a class at a local community college to decide if you actually like it. If you do, check out craigs list for a used miller or lincoln 220v. Assuming you can put a 220 service in your garage.

Do not buy a 220v 3 phase welder, they are tempting because they are cheap, but your house wont have 3 phase, and getting a drop from the electric co is big $$, and so are inverters.

I like to stick weld, but thats because I have a stick machine, and you can do it outside. If I had a nice 220 mig like a miller 212 I would prefer mig. Then you can get a spool gun and do Al too.

Well, as far as what I want to weld. I would like to be able to weld on things like sliders, ca mounts on axles and frames etc. My big picture is to be able to do a junk yard type build off of an old xj or something like that. At the same time it would be nice to be able to do my own gusset s and sliders for my jk.

What does duty cycle mean in regards to welding? Also, I did not think if having to modify my homes electrical plus I am renting so ill have to make a few phone calls if I get to that point. Over all, thanks for the info. :beer::thumbup:

2014 JKUR

jnabird333
09-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Duty cycle related to the on/off duration. a 10% DC means for every 10 seconds of weld, you need 90 seconds of rest.

Emptybrass
09-03-2014, 11:29 PM
I taught myself. I would recommend take some tech school classes at night.
I bought myself a Hobart welder and just read some books. Then practice. If you ever come to Rausch creek I'm on the way and will be happy to let you try it out.

MR.Ty
09-03-2014, 11:55 PM
I taught myself. I would recommend take some tech school classes at night.
I bought myself a Hobart welder and just read some books. Then practice. If you ever come to Rausch creek I'm on the way and will be happy to let you try it out.

Are you going to be a RC on the 200th? If so we could talk a little more then and maybe plan something. :thumbup:

Duty cycle related to the on/off duration. a 10% DC means for every 10 seconds of weld, you need 90 seconds of rest.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info. :beer::)

2014 JKUR

Emptybrass
09-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Yes I will be there. Your profile says Virginia. Is that correct?

MR.Ty
09-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Yes I will be there. Your profile says Virginia. Is that correct?

Yup. Virginia beach to be more precise.

2014 JKUR

Emptybrass
09-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Do you plan on staying over Saturday night? I am getting a room then coming home Sunday. I don't know if we are wheeling or not. If your saying over we can hit my shop up on the way back and you can do some welding. I'll bring the book(s) I read either way.

MR.Ty
09-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Do you plan on staying over Saturday night? I am getting a room then coming home Sunday. I don't know if we are wheeling or not. If your saying over we can hit my shop up on the way back and you can do some welding. I'll bring the book(s) I read either way.

The books would be great. I am going to have to pass on that offer to stop by your place though. I promised the wife id be back by lunch time on Sunday. Ill probably be leaving the hotel around six in the morning. :eek:

2014 JKUR

Emptybrass
09-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Ok on the books. If your ever back around this area let me know. Offer stands. Practice is a huge helper.

MR.Ty
09-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Ok on the books. If your ever back around this area let me know. Offer stands. Practice is a huge helper.

I appreciate it and I will keep it in mind. :beer:

2014 JKUR

jesse3638
09-09-2014, 12:03 AM
I got a Lincoln weld Pak 100 for free and have been teaching myself. I was looking into a class at the local JC but the wait list is huge and my time is pretty limited. I found some great YouTube videos from weldingtipsandtricks to be extremely helpful and its filmed from behind the hood so you can actually see what he is explaining ie...puddle, patterns, pushing, pulling etc. Just practice and start on small non-structural jobs until you become comfortable with your machine and skill.

10frank9
09-09-2014, 12:19 AM
I too like watching and learning from Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks on YouTube. He currently has a series on MIG basics. I am a very unskilled welder but am also teaching myself.

catahoula
09-09-2014, 12:21 AM
I learned by local college. I would recommend. Also maybe check out you tube. As for welders HB would not be a bad idea to get a welder there, try a local automotive supply store, or a big box store. I learned years ago with arc and oxy. I know I might get slammed for that. The new style of welders are much more easier you could probably teach yourself. I use to make extra money welding cars for people in Germany at the auto hobby shop. Started a few on fire as well.:cheesy:

sanman357
09-09-2014, 09:16 PM
http://weldingweb.com/ has a lot of information for a new welder. Post up some test welds and they can give you some idea on how your settings are.

liljohn850
09-09-2014, 10:29 PM
I learned to weld in high school, got a job welding before the economy tanked and learning to gas weld was step one. Now, that was in a learning environment and I would never consider myself a pro or knowledgable welder, but you can def self teach welding with a mig gun. Even if you get a crazy deal on cl with a lower end machine just to learn with, you'll quickly see if you wanna pursue the hobby (I only say hobby bc I doubt you quit your day job to weld, given you can't.) If you decide to grab a decent machine, it'll pay for itself after you burn in the gussets, skids, and maybe a track bar mount.

MR.Ty
09-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the continued input. Looked into my local college and they follow the semester schedule so for now that isn't an option. Going to check out a weekend workshop and go from there. :thumbup::beer:

Sent from a galaxy far far away.

MR.Ty
09-09-2014, 10:58 PM
I learned to weld in high school, got a job welding before the economy tanked and learning to gas weld was step one. Now, that was in a learning environment and I would never consider myself a pro or knowledgable welder, but you can def self teach welding with a mig gun. Even if you get a crazy deal on cl with a lower end machine just to learn with, you'll quickly see if you wanna pursue the hobby (I only say hobby bc I doubt you quit your day job to weld, given you can't.) If you decide to grab a decent machine, it'll pay for itself after you burn in the gussets, skids, and maybe a track bar mount.

Lol no, not going to quit my day job. :D

liljohn850
09-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Lol no, not going to quit my day job. :D

Speaking of day job. I know where I'm goin next. Shoot me a pm...I'll tell you how to avoid what I did :( lol

MR.Ty
09-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Speaking of day job. I know where I'm goin next. Shoot me a pm...I'll tell you how to avoid what I did :( lol

Yikes, thats probably not good. PM sent.

jesse3638
09-10-2014, 12:23 AM
I too like watching and learning from Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks on YouTube. He currently has a series on MIG basics. I am a very unskilled welder but am also teaching myself.

We have a little project were building at work and I just watched all 5 parts of that...haha

HighwayTrout
09-10-2014, 02:49 AM
In high school. We had an awesome metal shop and teacher. After school I was in the ROP (Regional Occupation Program). Learned to mig, tig, arc and gas weld. Did that all through my high school years. Id say the one with the smallest learning curve was mig welding for sure. Although I'm a fan of tig. More control once you get used to coordinating your foot, hand and eyes. Lol

Then the rest was on the job training/practicing. (Was a heavy equip mech) when we weren't "working" we built a couple cars. Helped co workers build circle track race cars and cages. We had an entire workshop at our disposal after hours and on lunch breaks. Had a ton of fun.

Look up the great Gene Windfield. He puts on a few metal fab classes a year. Had a few friends go through his class. Can't wait to go myself.

MarkW13
10-26-2014, 01:57 AM
I know the thread is a couple of months old, but learn to stick weld. Wired three car batteries together on my last trip to repair my trailer hitch. It worked incredibly well considering the circumstances. If I didn't have stick experience I would have given up and the trip would have been much tougher. The pick is at ershim lake on the dusy ershim trail.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

CanadianJK
10-26-2014, 01:22 PM
I was in this situation a month ago, and looked around for ways to learn how to weld.

In the end I found a friend that is a second year apprentice and while I have a lot to learn I am comfortable mig and stick welding. So far I have only had to pay him in sandwiches and beer :p

If you can learn on a cheapo flux core, it will save $ up front and when you move to a good MIG you will find it is easier. $100 got me a flux core that does the trick.

MR.Ty
10-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the continual updates and information everyone. Im still unsure on what direction I am going to take but it is awesome to see more suggestions.

Loading please wait....

H8ROADS
11-04-2014, 12:42 AM
You've inspired me to get back into welding. I just signed up for a class locally. Hopefully I can fab up some things one of these days.

MR.Ty
04-04-2015, 01:56 PM
I think that I will be final able to pick up a welder this month! Those of you that do weld in your garage, do you have/use any welding screens? And do you have any of these welding tables or do you just weld on the floor? Also, where do you attach your ground? Probably all silly questions, but I'd rather you think that I'm silly, then burn my house down. :crazyeyes:

GR8WHITE
04-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I think that I will be final able to pick up a welder this month! Those of you that do weld in your garage, do you have/use any welding screens? And do you have any of these welding tables or do you just weld on the floor? Also, where do you attach your ground? Probably all silly questions, but I'd rather you think that I'm silly, then burn my house down. :crazyeyes:1. no need for welding screens
2. I have a miller table and like it a lot. I was going to just make one but by the time I bought all of the metal and took the time to do it, i found it easier to just buy a table. 135088
3. Attack your ground to a paint and rust free surface on the work piece.

Rebel JK
04-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I put together this table. For me, comfortable body postition is half the battle. I try not to do more than tack things up in the garage to avoid the fire risk and for ventilation. I keep an extinguisher handy as well as the hose.

MR.Ty
04-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Oh and what other tools do you suggest for metal work? Grinding, cutting etc.

MR.Ty
04-04-2015, 02:27 PM
1. no need for welding screens
2. I have a miller table and like it a lot. I was going to just make one but by the time I bought all of the metal and took the time to do it, i found it easier to just buy a table. 135088
3. Attack your ground to a paint and rust free surface on the work piece.

Great. Thanks for the info. As for #3 if I work welding sliders on the frame, Id attach the ground to the frame correct?

I put together this table. For me, comfortable body postition is half the battle. I try not to do more than tack things up in the garage to avoid the fire risk and for ventilation. I keep an extinguisher handy as well as the hose.

I didnt think of having a garden hose handy. I do have a fire extinguisher and I was going to get a second one just for the welding area. Thanks.

thardy
04-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Great. Thanks for the info. As for #3 if I work welding sliders on the frame, Id attach the ground to the frame correct?

The frame is good, you would just want to be sure to grind the paint in that area off the frame. Otherwise you won't get a good ground.

GR8WHITE
04-04-2015, 05:50 PM
^^^^ yup what thardy said...

MR.Ty
04-04-2015, 07:06 PM
The frame is good, you would just want to be sure to grind the paint in that area off the frame. Otherwise you won't get a good ground.

^^^^ yup what thardy said...

Thanks for the help fellas! :thumb:

Scoop315
04-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Oh and what other tools do you suggest for metal work? Grinding, cutting etc.

If you buy grinders, you may wantto spend a few extra dollars buying ones that are built for professional construction work, instead of a piece of junk from Home Despot. Go to an industrial supply for tools and stuff like grinding wheels. Big box stores don't carry 1/8" thick or 0.045 cutting wheels. Cutting wheels are really useful for trimming steel, but can be incredibly dangerous if you are cutting steel and pinch the wheel (much like pinching a chainsaw on alog that falls I to itself as you're cutting). They can break apart if pinched and create projectiles from the wheel.

I learned to weld, rig, fabricate and be a mechanic as an apprentice in the metal trades.

Siebermd
05-14-2015, 08:43 AM
Tyler, sorry, I dont dig around Wayalife enough and I havent seen this until today. Anytime you want to come over to my place, I can show you my welding equipment and we can run some welds. Sorry I hadnt seen this sooner.

matt

MR.Ty
05-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Tyler, sorry, I dont dig around Wayalife enough and I havent seen this until today. Anytime you want to come over to my place, I can show you my welding equipment and we can run some welds. Sorry I hadnt seen this sooner.

matt

Nice! I will definitely take you up on the offer soon. Thank you very much!

robx251
05-14-2015, 11:22 AM
Well I'm certainly no master welding I started out working on a 220 stick welder I believe it's an old 70's craftsman I was okay with that the hardest issue I had with that one was trying to feed to stick in at the right speed once you get started. Since then I have used some Hobart flux core and some Linkin wire feed with gas welders once I get the Camp and wire speed correct I can usually make things look pretty good but those are the biggest things I have an issue with right now Strang get the amperage and the wires being in the right spot. Most of what weld now is exhaust but that's not to say I didn't get a lots of practice Welding the old frame of my old YJ

HeyitsRay
05-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Just got back into welding after a 15 year hiatus. Lincoln 210mp. Really want to try tig welding for the pretty welds! +1 on getting a good grinder. Metabo makes great grinders.

Scoop315
06-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Just got back into welding after a 15 year hiatus. Lincoln 210mp. Really want to try tig welding for the pretty welds! +1 on getting a good grinder. Metabo makes great grinders.

If you're going to try to TiG weld, you're getting into buying argon (nitrogen and helium are options, but argon is the best bet) gas as the shielding to keep oxygen out, which means bottle purchases or rentals, buying gauges, hoses, Tig handles, tungsten, etc. I'd suggest buying a TiG handle with a gas lens, as opposed to a straight collet. It distributes the argon better to the weld area.

HeyitsRay
06-07-2015, 06:00 PM
If you're going to try to TiG weld, you're getting into buying argon (nitrogen and helium are options, but argon is the best bet) gas as the shielding to keep oxygen out, which means bottle purchases or rentals, buying gauges, hoses, Tig handles, tungsten, etc. I'd suggest buying a TiG handle with a gas lens, as opposed to a straight collet. It distributes the argon better to the weld area.

A friend of mine that welds suggested I start with a 17 torch, and pyrex cup? I still need to get a Argon bottle, grinder for tungsten, etc.

USMC Wrangler
06-07-2015, 10:49 PM

Love my 210MP!

HeyitsRay
06-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Runs 7018 sweet

10frank9
06-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Love my 210MP!

Is that the model that allows 110/220 and TIG, MIG and stick?

USMC Wrangler
06-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Is that the model that allows 110/220 and TIG, MIG and stick?

Yes. It's ready to run MIG and stick out of the box. For TIG you need to purchase the TIG setup separately and connect it to the machine. Admittedly I've never run TIG, so I can't say much about that. I do intend on getting that setup next semester at my local welding class though.

HeyitsRay
06-08-2015, 02:44 AM
On 110v it runs .25 mig good. Struggles with .35 wire. Really shines on 2 phase tho.

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Hey fellas. I just bought a Hobart Handler 140, and I'm going to play around with it. I've always wanted to know how to weld. I'm looking for input on what type of helmet gives the most bang for the buck. I've searched around, on here and seen that auto-darkening seems to be a favorite. I'm a little afraid to buy a Harbor Freight special, so what do you like?

Of course, I've still got to buy a torch, gloves, and other miscellaneous equipment. I have a grinder, but I may want to upgrade it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

wayoflife
03-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Congrats to you on your new welder! :thumb:

I bought my auto-darkening helmet from Northern Tool and it's worked well for me. You should be able to find something decent at your local Tractor Supply or the like store. If you look around locally, you should be able to find really nice helmets at a welding supply store but you can even get basic stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. Really good helmets can cost a LOT of cash but unless you think you're going to be doing a lot of welding, it can be hard to justify.

Will you be running gas or just flux core for now?

OverlanderJK
03-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Don't buy a cheap one (harbor freight). I have a cheap one(harbor freight) and a nicer one. While the cheaper one hasn't failed me there are a lot of horror stories about them failing mid weld and that is not a good thing. The last thing you want to do is burn your eyes. You only have one set.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Congrats to you on your new welder! :thumb:

I bought my auto-darkening helmet from Northern Tool and it's worked well for me. You should be able to find something decent at your local Tractor Supply or the like store. If you look around locally, you should be able to find really nice helmets at a welding supply store but you can even get basic stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. Really good helmets can cost a LOT of cash but unless you think you're going to be doing a lot of welding, it can be hard to justify.

Will you be running gas or just flux core for now?

Thanks. I was actually wondering about some of the Northern Tool helmets. We have one close by. I have noticed the large price range in helmets, and no, I won't be doing a lot of welding. Honestly, for the money, I'd be better off to pay a welder, but like I said, I've always wanted to know how, so I'm going to start burning. Dad has a little scrap metal he's saved, so I may go to his place and practice. My brother has a torch he uses with a stick welder that he taught himself on.

Unknown on the gas or flux core. I suppose wind would affect gas, so probably flux, here at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Don't buy a cheap one (harbor freight). I have a cheap one(harbor freight) and a nicer one. While the cheaper one hasn't failed me there are a lot of horror stories about them failing mid weld and that is not a good thing. The last thing you want to do is burn your eyes. You only have one set.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Yep, and it hurts. I've had it happen at my Dad's friend's shop, when I was a kid, and I wasn't even looking directly at it.

OverlanderJK
03-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Yep, and it hurts. I've had it happen at my Dad's friend's shop, when I was a kid, and I wasn't even looking directly at it.

It's not fun. I forgot to turn the auto dim on one time. Probably the quickest I've ever reacted to anything. Lol

wayoflife
03-04-2017, 06:20 PM
You can always go old school and just get a helmet with a set darkness. You just have to get setup before you lower your hood.

drty6
03-04-2017, 06:32 PM
When you burn your eyes it will happen get some Vicks and put under your eyes like eye black for sports and it will take away the sand feeling that wakes you up in the middle of the night

SDG
03-04-2017, 06:33 PM
I have a northern tool auto helmet and also an auto miller. The northern tool one has worked fine, but as it does have its drawbacks, which may or may not apply to you. For everyday stuff its fine. Problem is when you get into tight spaces there are fewer sensors and they may get blocked by an obstruction in which case it may or may not trigger. The nicer helmets have more sensors in diff locations and also have a grinding mode so they wont trigger when you are using an angle grinder so less helmet on and off.

I like the flat wire wheel for the grinder myself if using flux core. Be careful with any wire wheel, have gotten wires thrown through my t-shirt and into the skin in my stomach before haha.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

drty6
03-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Slice a small Potatoand put over your eyes and wrap a bandanna around your head to hold them helps too

drty6
03-04-2017, 06:37 PM
I use a helmet that is refered to as a pancake with auto shade it keeps the reflection from the walls and your shirt from getting you

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Slice a small Potatoand put over your eyes and wrap a bandanna around your head to hold them helps too

I've done that! Lol

madstiles
03-04-2017, 07:50 PM
I use the auto darkening harbor freight one it's been good I have the sensitivity on high

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Journeyman
03-04-2017, 09:19 PM
I vote old school. Cheap and easy! You just have to figure out what shade lense you like. Most people prefer a 10, but I almost always prefer an 11. It allows me to focus more on what the weld puddle is doing and when burning lots of welds your eyeballs will appreciate it at the end of the day. You'll just have to set up properly for your weld pass before you drop the hood. But that will probably make you a better welder learning how to set up properly.

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 09:42 PM
I went to Northern Tool & bought one that has 4 sensors, instead of 2, so I kind of went middle of the road.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200658703_200658703?hotline=fal se

QuicksilverJK
03-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Definitely don't go with the HF special. I started welding using one. It lasted a little over a year and failed on me mid weld. Burnt my eyes pretty bad. Now I use a Lincoln Viking helmet. It's kinda middle of the road, but so much nicer than what I had gotten used to. You can actually see the puddle as you work, and not having a descent one to learn with I never knew that I wasn't seeing enough. Any welding supply or gas supply store should have a descent selection.

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Who needs a long sleeved shirt [emoji12]

WJCO
03-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Congrats on the welder. I think flux core is the easiest for basic use up to .250 thicknesses. It's not as clean but it gets the job done. For a helmet, I try and stay in the 100 dollar range. Not the cheapest but not super expensive. I see you already bought one. Play around and see it you like it. I prefer the auto darkening ones but as mentioned, sometimes they don't read the ambient light correctly. The one I have currently has a solar panel and charges itself. It's been pretty good so far.

WJCO
03-04-2017, 10:53 PM

Lol. I also skimp on gear for a quick weld, I admit. If I'm welding for more than 15 minutes, I definitely recommend long sleeves, etc or you'll have a nice sunburn or some scars on the biceps.

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 10:53 PM
Congrats on the welder. I think flux core is the easiest for basic use up to .250 thicknesses. It's not as clean but it gets the job done. For a helmet, I try and stay in the 100 dollar range. Not the cheapest but not super expensive. I see you already bought one. Play around and see it you like it. I prefer the auto darkening ones but as mentioned, sometimes they don't read the ambient light correctly. The one I have currently has a solar panel and charges itself. It's been pretty good so far.

This one sounds like what you are describing. It was $119.00.

I bought some 0.35 flux core.

WJCO
03-04-2017, 11:07 PM
This one sounds like what you are describing. It was $119.00.

I bought some 0.35 flux core.

Here's the helmet I have. I use .035 flux core in both of mine. It's done fine.

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Here's the helmet I have. I use .035 flux core in both of mine. It's done fine.

Ghost Rider! [emoji1303]

holliewood61
03-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Ive been using a jackson electric auto darkening hor about 10 yrs. It has been a fantastic hood and i would recommend it to anyone. It cost a touch more but i cant put a price on my eyes.

https://store.weldersource.com/p-3231-jackson-professional-fixed-shade-10-auto-darkening-helmet-3002530.aspx

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 11:23 PM
I appreciate the replies, everyone. Like I said, searching here, this question had been asked, a couple of times, but the threads were short, and old.

Now I need a cutting torch, and I'm not crazy about this grinder, I have.

WJCO
03-04-2017, 11:30 PM
I appreciate the replies, everyone. Like I said, searching here, this question had been asked, a couple of times, but the threads were short, and old.

Now I need a cutting torch, and I'm not crazy about this grinder, I have.

Cutting torch? What kind of metal are you cutting? A good chop saw with a carbide blade works pretty well. And as far as cutting with fire, plasma is way easier IMO but more expensive.

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Cutting torch? What kind of metal are you cutting? A good chop saw with a carbide blade works pretty well. And as far as cutting with fire, plasma is way easier IMO but more expensive.

Idk man, I've just never seen a welder without a torch. I totally forgot chop saws, and I do use a cutting wheel on my grinder. Total newb, here.

holliewood61
03-04-2017, 11:38 PM
I have torches but never use them. The sawzall, portaband, chop saw, and jig saw do most of my work

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

notnalc68
03-04-2017, 11:39 PM
I merged all the Newb welding threads I could find, so hopefully this can help someone starting out.

WJCO
03-05-2017, 12:02 AM
Idk man, I've just never seen a welder without a torch. I totally forgot chop saws, and I do use a cutting wheel on my grinder. Total newb, here.

Made this video just for you, Clay. You can see how clean a saw will cut. Torches are messy. Torch is a great tool, but IMO, not as accurate as a saw or plasma.

https://youtu.be/jYksxXjdS2o

notnalc68
03-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Made this video just for you, Clay. You can see how clean a saw will cut. Torches are messy. Torch is a great tool, but IMO, not as accurate as a saw or plasma.

Thanks, Doug

Rubicon310
03-05-2017, 12:19 AM
I too am currently looking for a welder. Totally new to welding. Put down my first bead 2 weeks ago in my buddies garage. Seems like I'll be ordering the Miller 211 next week. Great thread!

notnalc68
03-05-2017, 12:22 AM
I too am currently looking for a welder. Totally new to welding. Put down my first bead 2 weeks ago in my buddies garage. Seems like I'll be ordering the Miller 211 next week. Great thread!

Here's a thread on selecting a MIG welder.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?39646-Selecting-a-Mig-welder

Rubicon310
03-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Here's a thread on selecting a MIG welder.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?39646-Selecting-a-Mig-welder

Yes, I read the entire thread a couple of days ago. Thanks for posting that up.

ob_tj
03-05-2017, 12:42 AM

I have to agree with this. A torch leaves a lot of slag. Lately I've been using my grinder with a cutting wheel on it.

Simm5
03-05-2017, 12:52 AM
I've had all kinds of hoods. But I prefer Lincoln over them all.

Simm5
03-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Torches are just as accurate if you know what your doing and know how to set them up.

SDG
03-05-2017, 12:56 AM

Agreed. If you are trying to do relative precision stuff chop saws with abrasive blades blow ass in my opinion. As you push on them the blade warps or gets a crazing on it. Its especially bad if you are doing mitre cuts. By the time you have done 4 cuts on square tubing they are usually outta whack.

I got an Evolution Rage 2 14" metal cutting saw about 6 or 7 years ago and it has worked great. Carbide blades take nice chips. Lower RPM than a wood cutting chop saw and cuts very quick and accurately.

I had a torch setup and sold it as i rarely used it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

WJCO
03-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Agreed. If you are trying to do relative precision stuff chop saws with abrasive blades blow ass in my opinion. As you push on them the blade warps or gets a crazing on it. Its especially bad if you are doing mitre cuts. By the time you have done 4 cuts on square tubing they are usually outta whack.

I got an Evolution Rage 2 14" metal cutting saw about 6 or 7 years ago and it has worked great. Carbide blades take nice chips. Lower RPM than a wood cutting chop saw and cuts very quick and accurately.

I had a torch setup and sold it as i rarely used it.

Agreed if you get too fast on a carbide blade that they can warp or chip. I just go slow. That saw you recommended looks interesting. I may look into that in the future.

black pearl
03-05-2017, 02:19 AM

[emoji23] I do that all the time not so bad until you laying under the vehicle and everything is landing on bare skin but if you do it enough it stops bothering you after awhile

jkris
03-05-2017, 02:33 AM
[emoji23] I do that all the time not so bad until you laying under the vehicle and everything is landing on bare skin but if you do it enough it stops bothering you after awhile

black pearl
03-05-2017, 02:53 AM

That's it ... like when it lands in your shoes or my favorite in the ear

WJCO
03-05-2017, 02:58 AM

So much truth in that meme.

drty6
03-05-2017, 05:57 AM
I trained this guy ha

Ddays
03-05-2017, 12:43 PM
I trained this guy ha

Thats Awesome! I follow some welding sites on IG and I'm not even a welder. Amazing what some of these guys can do. :thumb:

Rubicon310
03-07-2017, 01:45 AM
For years I've had a desire to learn how to weld. After watching Eddies video on Jane, I was inspired to learn basic welding. I reached out to a good friend of mine that spent a couple hours teaching me free of charge. He suggested I buy the Miller 212 but after doing some research and my budget, I realized i was better off with the Miller 211. After a couple of weeks, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Miller 211 with a 125cf tank and Miller Elite hood. This should be plenty for me for a long time. If I ever start welding more than the 211 can handle, I'll look into purchasing the 256. Anxiously waiting for the arrival of my new tools and looking forward to learning and feeling very comfortable laying down some solid beads.

Anvil JKUR
03-07-2017, 02:28 AM
For years I've had a desire to learn how to weld. After watching Eddies video on Jane, I was inspired to learn basic welding. I reached out to a good friend of mine that spent a couple hours teaching me free of charge. He suggested I buy the Miller 212 but after doing some research and my budget, I realized i was better off with the Miller 211. After a couple of weeks, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Miller 211 with a 125cf tank and Miller Elite hood. This should be plenty for me for a long time. If I ever start welding more than the 211 can handle, I'll look into purchasing the 256. Anxiously waiting for the arrival of my new tools and looking forward to learning and feeling very comfortable laying down some solid beads.

I have owned the Miller 211 you will not be disappointed.
Have fun.

notnalc68
03-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Do you fellas use a different nozzle, when you use flux core with your MIG?

WJCO
03-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Do you fellas use a different nozzle, when you use flux core with your MIG?

As long as the tip fits through there, you should be fine. The flux is built into the wire, so the nozzle isn't really doing anything. At least that's how mine is.

notnalc68
03-10-2017, 04:13 PM
As long as the tip fits through there, you should be fine. The flux is built into the wire, so the nozzle isn't really doing anything. At least that's how mine is.

I was reading in the instructions, and it said the flux nozzle just makes it easier to see the puddle. The only reason I didn't fire it up, yesterday, was because I had 0.030 tips, and 0.035 wire, and didn't want to go back to the store.

jkris
03-11-2017, 01:50 AM
Kevin Caron has some great tips and instructional videos on YouTube covering welding and metalwork.

notnalc68
03-11-2017, 02:49 AM
Kevin Caron has some great tips and instructional videos on YouTube covering welding and metalwork.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Donner85
03-11-2017, 03:02 AM

I could stick weld like that all day and not get a sun burn. I mig weld for 5 minutes like that and my arms are red!!

drty6
03-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Something that might help with your beads when using a wire welder is when you start your puddle there will be a little bubble right behind your wire. Don't let it catch your wire as you run the bead

notnalc68
03-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Something that might help with your beads when using a wire welder is when you start your puddle there will be a little bubble right behind your wire. Don't let it catch your wire as you run the bead

[emoji1303] Thanks

black pearl
03-11-2017, 04:06 PM
I could stick weld like that all day and not get a sun burn. I mig weld for 5 minutes like that and my arms are red!!

Haha see I'm the opposite... my worst burns have been from a stick welder

Donner85
03-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Haha see I'm the opposite... my worst burns have been from a stick welder

Also depends on rod size with the stick. 1/8 and under I'm good. Bigger, then I start to get slight burns.

Donner85
03-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Also does everyone know the potato trick from for welders flash?

notnalc68
03-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Also does everyone know the potato trick from for welders flash?

I do, but post it up, for general information.

Tumbleweed
03-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Another tip:
Never have the current go through a bearing or Johnny Joint type of thing. Don't have the bearing between the Ground and the Electrode you are welding with. The bearings will arc internally and get messed up.

notnalc68
03-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Here's my first bead. Flux core, from a Hobart Handler 140. Rough, I know. I think I had my helmet set too dark. I couldn't see what I was doing, well enough.

Mike_JK_Houston_711
03-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Here's my first bead. Flux core, from a Hobart Handler 140. Rough, I know. I think I had my helmet set too dark. I couldn't see what I was doing, well enough.

Hey, that's not all that bad. It ain't gonna be perfect the first time. I'd say you're on a good trajectory!

notnalc68
03-11-2017, 11:52 PM
Hey, that's not all that bad. It ain't gonna be perfect the first time. I'd say you're on a good trajectory!

Thanks, Mike. The fourth pass looked a little better, but by no means, pretty.

Mike_JK_Houston_711
03-12-2017, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Mike. The fourth pass looked a little better, but by no means, pretty.

Looking good. Next time you come out to TX, bring a portable so you can help weld if needed on the trail :bleh: Really though, your beads are looking good!

Donner85
03-12-2017, 02:51 AM
Well for everyone that doesn't know, if you get welders flash, cut a potato in half and put it over you eyes.

Tumbleweed
03-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Well for everyone that doesn't know, if you get welders flash, cut a potato in half and put it over you eyes.

And potato chips don't work.

Donner85
03-17-2017, 08:17 PM
And potato chips don't work.

Lol

Rubicon310
03-17-2017, 11:59 PM
This is only my 4th time welding. Please tell me what you see wrong with the weld, what I should do differently. Welding with a Miller 211 hooked to 220v, .030 wire and argon/CO2 mix.

QuicksilverJK
03-18-2017, 12:11 AM
This is only my 4th time welding. Please tell me what you see wrong with the weld, what I should do differently. Welding with a Miller 211 hooked to 220v, .030 wire and argon/CO2 mix.

Are you stitching multiple spot welds together? What is your material thickness?

QuicksilverJK
03-18-2017, 12:23 AM
Depending on what you're trying to accomplish could change the answer. For thin body work I would say it looks great. Multiple short stitches and lots of cooling time to avoid warping. If for something stronger and thicker then I would recommend stringing the bead out to get maximum penetration. The puddle looks like it's laying out nicely, but it may be a touch hot if you run a longer bead.

Rubicon310
03-18-2017, 12:40 AM
This was the stitching method. The material thickness is 1/4 inch. I will try a solid bead on the bottom side.

Rubicon310
03-18-2017, 12:41 AM
Depending on what you're trying to accomplish could change the answer. For thin body work I would say it looks great. Multiple short stitches and lots of cooling time to avoid warping. If for something stronger and thicker then I would recommend stringing the bead out to get maximum penetration. The puddle looks like it's laying out nicely, but it may be a touch hot if you run a longer bead.

When you say "a touch hot" what do you mean? That it could melt the metal too much? Sorry, I'm still learning the lingo.

NecessaryEvil
03-18-2017, 12:45 AM
This was the stitching method. The material thickness is 1/4 inch. I will try a solid bead on the bottom side.

For 1/4 steel I would not stitch weld like this. Run a continuous bead for solid penetration.

Rubicon310
03-18-2017, 12:53 AM
For 1/4 steel I would not stitch weld like this. Run a continuous bead for solid penetration.

Would you say the welds look acceptable for stitching? Or should I hold the trigger longer?

WJCO
03-18-2017, 01:02 AM
Looks to me like you need to bring the circles closer together like the photo below.

Rubicon310
03-18-2017, 01:06 AM
Looks to me like you need to bring the circles closer together like the photo below.

Wow. Yeah I'm way off if that's the end goal. I've got plenty of metal to practice on. I'll try to get them closer and run a continuous bead instead of stitching it together like I did.

NecessaryEvil
03-18-2017, 01:24 AM
When you say "a touch hot" what do you mean? That it could melt the metal too much? Sorry, I'm still learning the lingo.

As you weld the metal heats up and the weld will penetrate deeper. On thinner metals you are more likely to melt through (blow out) the metal you are working with if you don't adjust. On thicker metal you can still warp the metal being too hot or staying too long. Welding is not as easy as it seems and there're many variables (wire thickness, wire type, amperage, wire speed, metal type, metal thickness,cold start, hot start, and predicting metal warp. Practice practice practice. I am no expert but have learned a lot just by doing it.

Would you say the welds look acceptable for stitching? Or should I hold the trigger longer?

Towards the end it looks good. Nice and evenly spaced and the stacking looks cool. Stitching is just not that great of a method with thicker steel and or mig welding. A lot of people have a misconception on what their welds should look like. They look at tig welding beads and think their mig welding should look the same. With mig welding you will never get the true "stack of dimes" look. Idk if that's what your trying to achieve with stitching.

QuicksilverJK
03-18-2017, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't stitch anything that thick. As for heat that would be your voltage. You ultimately want your voltage just high enough to get the edges of your puddle to flow into the material (not humped way up, and not undercut) a small amount of arch is perfect.

QuicksilverJK
03-18-2017, 01:33 AM
The weld that WJCO posted is not stitched. That is the results that you can expect from an even drag with very small slow circles. Try a slow drag in a straight line and see what happens, you will be impressed.

NecessaryEvil
03-18-2017, 01:35 AM
This is 1/4 inch steel. I basically am drawing e's as I weld and watching the bead. As you can see the some what even heat transfer and evidence of even penetration. Thicker metal is A LOT easier to weld with a mig welder. 248628

SDG
03-18-2017, 01:57 AM
I would say forget the stack of dimes with mig until you know what you are doing. Worry about wetting the ears, try doing 90's, uphill, downhill, etc with a straight pull.

Here is when I was learning...

And after a bit got to this...

This is stick, but learning process is the same.

NecessaryEvil
03-18-2017, 02:00 AM
I would say forget the stack of dimes with mig until you know what you are doing. Worry about wetting the ears, try doing 90's, uphill, downhill, etc with a straight pull.

Here is when I was learning...

And after a bit got to this...

This is stick, but learning process is the same.

Agreed

Rubicon310
03-18-2017, 02:11 AM
Very good advice. Thank you guys. I've been watching a ton of YouTube videos. After watching Eddie work on Jane, I was inspired to learn welding. It's a skill I've wanted to learn for a while. I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

Scoop315
03-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks. I was actually wondering about some of the Northern Tool helmets. We have one close by. I have noticed the large price range in helmets, and no, I won't be doing a lot of welding. Honestly, for the money, I'd be better off to pay a welder, but like I said, I've always wanted to know how, so I'm going to start burning. Dad has a little scrap metal he's saved, so I may go to his place and practice. My brother has a torch he uses with a stick welder that he taught himself on.

Unknown on the gas or flux core. I suppose wind would affect gas, so probably flux, here at the house.

The best for the buck are probably Speedglas, and Miller infinity or Miller Titanium. Figure anywhere from $275-$350. The Miller Titanium is a split shell hood that allows the hood to be opened sort of like a clam shell and has a 4X4.5" clear glass to grind with. Both of the above also have a shade 5 level of protection for using an oxy-acetylene burning outfit. I tend to set my Speedglas at 11 shade for stick welding, but as I get older I'm relying more on a 10 shade more. I still go to my old school Jackson or Fiber Metal hoods without autodarkening shade. $35 and you can do anything an auto darkening hood does, except you have to get the quick nod of the head motion down when starting the weld.

If you get into welding stainless steel, you're definitely going to want to go to a shade 11 as it's brighter when welding. For that you'll also want to definitely make sure you have ventilation because welding stainless because of hexavalent chromium getting into your lungs. It's bad stuff that causes lung cancer and can actually change the DNA if exposed too much. For a hobbyist, it's probably not a huge risk. But if anyone has kids, or a wife they like, I'd still take the precautions to ensure they're not exposed to the stuff in the air, or the ultraviolet light.

Aluminum welding is something I wouldn't get into at all. Aluminum is different to weld than other metals and has to be super clean and the fumes from welding are really nasty. If the metal isn't clean, it takes very little time for the welds to fracture/break.

As far as using gas for MiG welding, blocking off wind is the trick, while still ventilating the fumes.

Scoop315
03-18-2017, 01:43 PM
When you burn your eyes it will happen get some Vicks and put under your eyes like eye black for sports and it will take away the sand feeling that wakes you up in the middle of the night

If you get flash, I've heard cucumber slices on the eyes, or cold, wet tea bags. But really, a good set of safety glasses (ANSI rated) protects the best and blocks 75% of the UV rays. And those electric arc UV rays are stronger than the UV rays from the sun. At the end of the day, if you don't protect skin and eyes, the healing process is time, really. Getting your eyes flashed sucks.

Scoop315
03-18-2017, 02:17 PM
I have a northern tool auto helmet and also an auto miller. The northern tool one has worked fine, but as it does have its drawbacks, which may or may not apply to you. For everyday stuff its fine. Problem is when you get into tight spaces there are fewer sensors and they may get blocked by an obstruction in which case it may or may not trigger. The nicer helmets have more sensors in diff locations and also have a grinding mode so they wont trigger when you are using an angle grinder so less helmet on and off.

I like the flat wire wheel for the grinder myself if using flux core. Be careful with any wire wheel, have gotten wires thrown through my t-shirt and into the skin in my stomach before haha.

If you go to a welding supply retailer, you can buy welding jackets made of either nomex or leather to protect against wires sticking in your skin. The biggest thing is eye protection!

Let me repeat that: The most important part of grinding and welding is eye protection!!

QuicksilverJK
03-18-2017, 08:25 PM
If you go to a welding supply retailer, you can buy welding jackets made of either nomex or leather to protect against wires sticking in your skin. The biggest thing is eye protection!

Let me repeat that: The most important part of grinding and welding is eye protection!!

I second that. And to that point don't do the "it's a quick clean up grind so I will just close my eyes". Your eye lids will not protect you from a wire wheel coming apart.

Rubicon310
03-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Here's my attempt at a bead. The ultimate goal is for it to look nice. My main focus is making sure I have good penetration and that it will hold. Thoughts? 248722

I stopped half way to check it. Then continued. You can see the split in the middle.

Rubicon310
03-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Here are 3 more smaller beads. Again, I'm not going for the best looking bear award. I'm trying to get the feeling of laying down a good bead that penetrates. I'll work on prettiness once I'm sure I have a good weld. 248723

Scoop315
03-19-2017, 01:07 AM
Here's my attempt at a bead. The ultimate goal is for it to look nice. My main focus is making sure I have good penetration and that it will hold. Thoughts? 248722

I stopped half way to check it. Then continued. You can see the split in the middle.

Keep practicing. And when you stop and start, make it look like you never stopped.

Scoop315
03-19-2017, 01:13 AM
Here are 3 more smaller beads. Again, I'm not going for the best looking bear award. I'm trying to get the feeling of laying down a good bead that penetrates. I'll work on prettiness once I'm sure I have a good weld. 248723

The bottom bead is the one that looks the best, and it doesn't tie in the base metal on the left completely. At the end of the bead, I travel to the end of joint I'm welding, then change my position to travel back into the bead I just laid down to make sure the bead is uniform. Welding is not a natural thing for humans to do, so you're constantly looking at where you're going, the bead size is right and uniform all the way, and stops and starts are seamless (I've spent a lot of time doing pick ups on others' welds over the years, and I'm not that great a welder). As well, you're moving from say, left to right, holding the proper arc distance, and more.

Hang in there. Watch YouTube and pick up a Hobart or Miller pocket welding guide for reference (though, I think Miller has an app now).

Edit: weld on the flat surface of the metal starting at the end farthest from you and make a pass, then the next pass over about two thirds of the first pass, then on the third pass cover two thirds of the second pass. Keep doing it all the way until you come to the edge of the metal closest to you. You'll get a better feel for the way it all feels and you'll be getting practice at pad welding. If you get to the point that you're beads are all straight, you're doing it right.

limon_three
04-22-2017, 03:57 AM
Found a 110 wire feed at a pawn shop today...would that be okay to weld my new track bar bracket on to axle since broke the factory mount this past week?

WJCO
04-22-2017, 04:12 AM
Found a 110 wire feed at a pawn shop today...would that be okay to weld my new track bar bracket on to axle since broke the factory mount this past week?

Should be good. Just grind it down really well and make sure the weld gets good penetration.

limon_three
04-22-2017, 04:16 AM
[emoji1419]thanks wjco

sinawalli
10-26-2017, 09:15 PM
If there's light coming off the end of the rod and it sounds like bacon frying, you're welding...[emoji6]

Arrcherr
10-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Eastwood, if there is one near, has some decently priced entry lvl and up mig welders. They also have beginner classes that run for 8 hrs on a Saturday don't know the exact schedule. I was thinking about taking one of their classes though. They also have stick and Tig welding classes.

Oreo_penguin536
12-05-2017, 01:37 AM

Go slow, then slow down more-listen for bacon -steady hand and remember to breathe

Practice practice practice practice practice practice then practice some more

If it looks like this then you ainít half bad. First ever pipe to plate pass and Iím still learning after 3 years. You can always improve in welding.

Fell free to Pm me if you have any questions🤙🏾🤙🏾

QuicksilverJK
12-05-2017, 04:34 PM

Go slow, then slow down more-listen for bacon -steady hand and remember to breathe

LMAO this is so true. I can't count how many times I have seen new welders (myself included) hold there breath while running a bead. I never understood why, but it really does seam to be a natural thing to do.

Oreo_penguin536
12-05-2017, 05:04 PM
I remember when I started I did the same thing, one time I almost passed out[emoji23][emoji23]

Gbint
01-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Too funny. I held my breath in the beginning. Oreo_penguin nailed it. Slow and steady. Took me a few years to be ď commercially acceptable ď according to my boss at the time. Almost 40 years ago.

jesse3638
01-05-2018, 11:57 PM
LMAO this is so true. I can't count how many times I have seen new welders (myself included) hold there breath while running a bead. I never understood why, but it really does seam to be a natural thing to do.

I hold my breath when I weld galvanized. I know you're not really supposed to weld it without a proper respirator but have done small beads in well ventilated areas all holding my breath..haha. I'm no welder by trade but I try.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Gbint
01-06-2018, 01:50 AM
Yep, welded pipe from chain link fences( galvanized) to make dune buggy framed. Donít recommend using that pipe for that. Ahhh but I was young then. I too hold my breath for the galvanized stuff.

QuicksilverJK
01-06-2018, 02:14 AM
Yeah gotta love the galvanized "poisoning" I have had that head and stomach ache more than a few times. I have been told that drinking lots of milk will ease the effects, although I think just not breathing it to begin with is better [emoji6]

Oreo_penguin536
01-06-2018, 02:41 AM
Yeah gotta love the galvanized "poisoning" I have had that head and stomach ache more than a few times. I have been told that drinking lots of milk will ease the effects, although I think just not breathing it to begin with is better [emoji6]

Ya know Iíve never gotten sick from welding that stuff

Gbint
01-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Itís quite possible the whole feeling crummy thing is just in my head..... along with all the other weird shit going on in there.

QuicksilverJK
01-09-2018, 01:34 PM
It's called metal fume fever. It is a real thing. Caused from over exposure to Zinc Oxide from burning the galvanized coating. Hot dipped galvanized metal is worse because the coating is much thicker to begin with.

Gbint
01-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Scary [emoji53]

Samuelh3
05-01-2018, 04:52 AM
Just started to learn how to weld. My father in-law is a welder so I spend half a day in his shop as he showed me the ropes. Too much fun! Just need to get a welder and start practicing at home. My neighbor has one and I actually got to use it to fix some stuff on my daughters Jeep. Too cool!

WJCO
02-09-2019, 09:32 PM
I'm guessing most of you use gas, but I've used flux core for years just due to the convenience of it. Obviously it's the ugliest of all methods. But a few months ago I found out there is an anti splatter spray that Lincoln makes. This stuff works really well. Although there still is some splatter and it's definitely not as clean as a gas weld, just a wire wheel takes any of the remaining splatter off. This stuff has saved me a lot of clean up time. It gets sprayed on your pieces before you weld.

Before cleanup:

After cleanup:

USMC Wrangler
02-09-2019, 09:42 PM
I'm guessing most of you use gas, but I've used flux core for years just due to the convenience of it. Obviously it's the ugliest of all methods. But a few months ago I found out there is an anti splatter spray that Lincoln makes. This stuff works really well. Although there still is some splatter and it's definitely not as clean as a gas weld, just a wire wheel takes any of the remaining splatter off. This stuff has saved me a lot of clean up time. It gets sprayed on your pieces before you weld.

Before cleanup:

After cleanup:

Nice! I need to get some of that for sure.

TrailHunter
02-10-2019, 03:33 AM

Iíve been using that stuff for years... well ever since I got my first welder (flux core) ... it works great. The little splatter balls fall right off your work area.

black pearl
02-10-2019, 04:03 AM

Before cleanup:

After cleanup:

Iíve used cooking spray in place of that stuff in the past.

jesse3638
02-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Wish I'd have know about that. Just finished up my gussets not the prettiest but they'll hold.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)