Overheating

Drty_jk

I have a 2 door jk wrangler, I have had some overheating problems lately and found out I had a leak in my radiator. So I bought a new one and change it along with a new thermostat. Everything is fine until I hit 70-75 mph on the highway (which I use alot for work etc.) And I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows what could be happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lmoye22

Welcome to a terrible time!! Been fighting this for a while now. Two different shops and two different times at the dealership. No one can figure it out. No issues driving anywhere but if I hit 75+ or hit any hill my temp goes up to 230+. New tranny, thermostat, fan radiator, coolant flush, new fluid, tranny cooler. After hours and hours of reading here is what I know. Most people just end up having lots of mud coated in the fins on the condenser and radiator. Power wash it from engine bay to the front grille. Very good wash. Other people end up having the relay on the fan go out, 3.8's have two, low speed and high speed. Another reason might be your ECT sensor, reading the wrong temp. Another problem might be air in the system ( you did change your radiator so make sure you burped the hell out of it!) also found people had clogged heater core, flush it out reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lmoye22

No codes on mine, 140k miles 5.13 gears on 37's. Owners manual will say it's not overheating till it hits the H. Which I think is bull but had to read it myself. Never had any issues till I bent my tie rod and it overheated on my back from a trail. Worse case... bad head gaskets or internally wrapped heads.

Drty_jk

Welcome to a terrible time!! Been fighting this for a while now. Two different shops and two different times at the dealership. No one can figure it out. No issues driving anywhere but if I hit 75+ or hit any hill my temp goes up to 230+. New tranny, thermostat, fan radiator, coolant flush, new fluid, tranny cooler. After hours and hours of reading here is what I know. Most people just end up having lots of mud coated in the fins on the condenser and radiator. Power wash it from engine bay to the front grille. Very good wash. Other people end up having the relay on the fan go out, 3.8's have two, low speed and high speed. Another reason might be your ECT sensor, reading the wrong temp. Another problem might be air in the system ( you did change your radiator so make sure you burped the hell out of it!) also found people had clogged heater core, flush it out reverse.

Thank you for all this information! I will check all of the things you said out!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bmans08jk

I have been having the same problem, and can't figure out why. New thermostat, radiator, water pump, fan is working, and resealed my lower intake to make sure it wasn't clogged. The only thing left is mabe something going on with the head gaskets. I hope you find your problem.

Sent from my LG-H918 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Thank you for all this information! I will check all of the things you said out!

DO NOT use a power washer! The high pressure will damage and bend the fins which will not allow the air to pass over them to remove the heat. Just use the garden hose and let the water run over them gently to wash the mud and crap out. Also make sure nothing is stuck in between the condenser and the rad as that will restrict air flow as well

Judesign

Caught the Bug
^agreed. Most power washers can take paint off and will easily bend the fins. The pressure from a 'selfwash' type place is about all I would be comfortable using.

Drty_jk

DO NOT use a power washer! The high pressure will damage and bend the fins which will not allow the air to pass over them to remove the heat. Just use the garden hose and let the water run over them gently to wash the mud and crap out. Also make sure nothing is stuck in between the condenser and the rad as that will restrict air flow as well

Okay sounds good than you for clarifying!

ath_wndr

...I bought a new one (radiator) and change it along with a new thermostat. Everything is fine until I hit 70-75 mph on the highway (which I use alot for work etc.) And I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows what could be happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I too, have been battling with my '07 JK getting hot (244 degrees). I've done pretty much everything there is to do but check the coolant system for exhaust gases.
Drty_jk, I see no mention of a radiator cap change or radiator hose replacement. I hear that sometimes the radiator hoses, if weak, they will collapse while driving under high load or air in system. I'm thinking that may be happening to me, but it's hard to tell.

Last edited:

Drty_jk

I too, have been battling with my '07 JK getting hot (244 degrees). I've done pretty much everything there is to do but check the coolant system for exhaust gases.
Drty_jk, I see no mention of a radiator cap change or radiator hose replacement. I hear that sometimes the radiator hoses, if weak, they will collapse while driving under high load. I'm thinking that may be happening to me, but it's hard to tell.

I'm sorry I failed to mention that when I rget placed the radiator I did change out the hoses with new ones , but I have not changed the cap yet , but thanks for this info!

Top Bottom