A little help needed

bowtech50

So after a weekend of wheeling here in Minnesota in what amounted to some tough climbs I had my first experience with the death wobble. I read the whole post on here about it, and I have some questions that I hope will save me money. I have not had time to dig in and fine the culprit yet, but I am thinking it might be time to upgrade some parts while digging into it. If I were to upgrade the track bar, drag link and tie rod, what brand would you all recommend? I like the steer smarts stuff, but I only want to buy once. Ball joints too. Thanks in advance. I really enjoy reading enjoy reading this forum, and I figured all of you that play in the rocks would know what it best for a little Minnesota Jeep. FYI, currently on 37" KO2`s and a 3.5" AEV lift.

Andy5160

Hooked
Definitely start looking under the jeep and isolate components. As stated start with track bar. If you still run factory one get it torqued no need to replace in most cases. See if it has any movement while you under the jeep and someone turning the wheel left and right. As to BJ's as WJCO stated get Pro steer and call it a day for as along as you own your jeep.
Good Luck

jeeeep

Hooked
like others have mentioned, unless there is something with actual damage no need to spend money.

A loose track bar is usually the culprit - how many miles on your jeep?

37's - 3.5" lift - if still on stock ball joints, something to definitely check

drag link, do you have a flip drag link? if not, I can tell you from experience save some money and look at something more in line like the EVO flip drag link.

no need for track bar upgrade once you install the proper bracket with the flip kit - I have a brand new JKS track bar but I'm using my stock track bar, works perfectly fine, no adjustment needed.

I finally bit the bullet and installed Dynatrac balljoints. Running 37's and oem balljoints - I was becoming too familiar with the process lol

if you're set on a tie rod - currie

Last edited:

bowtech50

I have 40000 miles on my jeep, and it has all stock steering components except for the track bar bracket that came with the AEV lift, and I believe the drag link flip? I will address the issue like suggested, and I really appreciate the feedback. I am in the process of moving, and have not found the free time to crawl under it yet. I think the pro steer ball joints might be in order even if I find nothing else. My question is I had to drill my knuckle to accept the AEV track bar on the top side using a bushing they supplied. Is this considered a flip?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I also have/had AEV lift. So far I ditched their front track bar bracket on the front because I had to cut some off to make room for C gussets, replaced with synergy. I don't know if they changed the design of that bracket yet or which one you have but I must say it's not yje best design. It was really hard to get U bolt nuts to tighten up properly. That's probably not your issue. I also ditched their coils for EVOs, but that doesn't matter at all.
I now have 51k miles on mine, about 25k are with the lift and 37s. I did have shimmy at 50-60mph (wouldn't call it a death wobble since I've experienced that once on a rented jeep). Also for shimmy at higher speeds form what I've experienced is that a proper tire balancing plays a role as well. I still have factory steering components (drag link and tie rod).
The problem for me was ball joints. Replaced those with dynatracs, got my tires rebalanced and everything went away. You also should check for play in you tie rod ends on your drag link and tie rod as well. Number one thing to check is the track bar bolt at the axle of course. Good luck and keep up posted.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I agree with VeruGE*144. Ball joints or wheels out of balance or bent. For me, it was the tires. I ended up having two bent wheels and that's what was throwing mine into a wobble. Lift the front up and check for any movement in the wheels from the ball joints. If there is none, I'd head over to discount tire and have the wheels checked.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

I have 40000 miles on my jeep, and it has all stock steering components except for the track bar bracket that came with the AEV lift, and I believe the drag link flip? I will address the issue like suggested, and I really appreciate the feedback. I am in the process of moving, and have not found the free time to crawl under it yet. I think the pro steer ball joints might be in order even if I find nothing else. My question is I had to drill my knuckle to accept the AEV track bar on the top side using a bushing they supplied. Is this considered a flip?

If you drilled your knuckle I would say you most likely have a flipped drag link

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

bowtech50

I just had the tire road force balanced at my jeep dealer. I might have some time tonight, otherwise I will be in the new house Monday. Thanks.

Top Bottom