Got Gas Spraying Out When Filling-Up?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well it's about damn time!! I just got a letter from Chrysler Customer Assistance Center informing me that they've just extended the fuel tank inlet check valve warranty coverage to select 2007-08 Jeep Wranglers. This warranty applies to JK's made during that time that have problems with fuel spilling out of the filler port during refueling. Check it out...

fuel.jpg

Of course, this is a problem that we've been having for years and would love to have fixed. I don't know if my dealership will actually honor it but, I will be calling them today and hope that they will. Not like they aren't charging me a boat load of dough to get my tranny fixed. Wish me luck.

EDIT: Don't get your hopes up. If you're Jeep is modified, they'll most likely just void your warranty.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Well it's about damn time!! I just got a letter from Chrysler Customer Assistance Center informing me that they've just extended the fuel tank inlet check valve warranty coverage to select 2007-08 Jeep Wranglers. This warranty applies to JK's made during that time that have problems with fuel spilling out of the filler port during refueling. Check it out...

View attachment 15745

Of course, this is a problem that we've been having for years and would love to have fixed. I don't know if my dealership will actually honor it but, I will be calling them today and hope that they will. Not like they aren't charging me a boat load of dough to get my tranny fixed. Wish me luck.

Wait until they call and tell you the tranny is fixed. Then ask them to fix this. :thumb:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Nice! I'll be looking for my letter then since this recently started happening to me! :thumb:

Nicholas

Got Fuel Spills When Filling-Up?

Nice! I might try seeing if they will honor this on my jeep. Last time I mention I was having this issue they blamed it on the dented gas tank skid plate. The only way they would honor it is if I fix the dents or replaced the skid it self.

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Awesome! I just checked the mail and I have a letter as well. Glad to see they are covering this, now if we can only get one of these for the first gear pop.....

j.house013

Heading to the dealer in about an hour. Lost a cowl bolt installing my Rigid D2 lights so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone! New bolt and hopefully some warranty work!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! I just checked the mail and I have a letter as well. Glad to see they are covering this, now if we can only get one of these for the first gear pop.....

There is a TSB for that too. This is what we're having fixed on our old 2007 tranny but unfortunately, it won't be covered under warranty.

mtnbiker995

I'm my Jeep was built November 18, 2008 would that fall into this category? It's technically a 2009 model year though...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

uhporkchop

SBN for fuel tank filler hose issues

I was doing some research on this issue a month ago and found information which said Chrysler will honor lifetime warranty on this specific issue with the fill hose i believe for 07-08. I do not recall at the moment which forum I referenced this information from but it just so happens I have the SBN written down and in my wallet for my next trip to the dealer. (SBN 340218, NHTSA 10037960) I will see if I can find the information again and post as a link here for all to read as it actually had some interesting info.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Good luck with the dealer. I got the letter for mine about 2 years ago. They ran the test and found the inlet to be faulty. Told me the parts were covered under the recall but I had to pay $100 labor because my long arm lift required extra labor. I said "yeeaaa...riiiigght....one hundred bucks..." After I asked to speak to service manager I got them to split the labor with me and only paid $50. Two months later, got small evap leak and "gas cap" code. I've taken it to several shops and spent over $300 bucks, smoke test and all, they still can't find the leak. I have a suspicion it's something with the replace they did, but it's just a hunch.

1BAMFR

Yup, I had the same issue, fuel would overflow and spill all over the place. The dealer covered it under warranty for free.

One thing that was kinda weird was they actually drove it down to the gas station and had to physically see it overflow...they charged me for the fuel used to do that....I thought it was weird but I guess they needed to witness the event to cover it.

Picked it up and only had to pay the top off fuel cost.

Hasnt overflowed since.

moparnation

Re: Got Fuel Spills When Filling-Up?

That's messed up man, mines a 2010 and I have this problem with the filler neck too. Talked to a buddy at the dealership and he says its a no go for the 10's.....that's ridiculous

sent from my talkitty box

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Yup, I had the same issue, fuel would overflow and spill all over the place. The dealer covered it under warranty for free.

One thing that was kinda weird was they actually drove it down to the gas station and had to physically see it overflow...they charged me for the fuel used to do that....I thought it was weird but I guess they needed to witness the event to cover it.

Picked it up and only had to pay the top off fuel cost.

Hasnt overflowed since.

Your dealer may be way better than avg. It's kinda rare for a dealer mechanic to leave the service bay area to experience the "pocka-pocka" noise coming from the driveline or whatever. Unfortunately PA. is too far from AZ. for me to take the JK for dealer level work. Sigh!:twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, here we go again. Even though Moby hasn't set foot in a dealership to have work done in over 5 years, I am now being told that Chrysler will not allow them to do any warranty work on it due to it being "modified". Apparently, it's been flagged and the only one who I can think of who would have done that is Don-a-Vee Jeep in Placentia, CA. At least, that was the last time I can think of when we took Moby into a dealership to have them confirm we had a blown factory locker. :rolleyes2:

I'll tell you, the only thing that really irritates me is that if you're gonna flag my Jeep and void my warranty, please don't send me letters saying that it has been extended to address a safety issue on a factory component. :rolleyes2:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well, here we go again. Even though Moby hasn't set foot in a dealership to have work done in over 5 years, I am now being told that Chrysler will not allow them to do any warranty work on it due to it being "modified". Apparently, it's been flagged and the only one who I can think of who would have done that is Don-a-Vee Jeep in Placentia, CA. At least, that was the last time I can think of when we took Moby into a dealership to have them confirm we had a blown factory locker. :rolleyes2:

I'll tell you, the only thing that really irritates me is that if you're gonna flag my Jeep and void my warranty, please don't send me letters saying that it has been extended to address a safety issue on a factory component. :rolleyes2:

That sucks! What's the next step? Fight it or just bring it back to ORE?

I think between you, moochie, chris, myself and a keg of budwiser we could get it fixed. :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks! What's the next step? Fight it or just bring it back to ORE?

I think between you, moochie, chris, myself and a keg of budwiser we could get it fixed. :cheesy:

I don't know. I'm sure I could fight this like before but man, it just takes so much time and effort to do and I just don't know how much it's worth it. It's just so lame that they would still send me these letters in spite of the fact that they have no intensions of helping me. I'm sure that life will go on but, I will say that I'm a little disappointed with Chrysler right now.

Top Bottom