What is everyone running Trans cooler?

Shelby73

Good morning I have a remote small trans cooler located behind Jeep just forward of rear axel. No room up front RIPP supercharger cooler. Have 5:38 gears and automatic transmission after awhile on the road trans temp get 200 + on steep hill going up to almost 250 had to shut her down. Was thinking of installing Derale oil cooler 15870, and putting new filter and synthetic in her. However I thought I would ask for opinions from others that been down this road. Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing what is said about the subject.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I am running a Flex-a-lite. I know you don't have room however I have seen smaller ones you can get at Summit. I have a buddy that has a torpedo type one installed on his frame.

flex a lite.jpg

IMG_20170301_203451784.jpg

Shelby73

Cooler

I scheduled the full trans flush for tomorrow after my new transmission cooler goes on. I decided to get the Derale 13870 remote transmission cooler. I'll be installing it in almost the same location just before the rear axel on floor pan near tank, and between shock mounts. Summit Racing had it to my door in less than 2 days. This thing is built like a tank, and looks like it can cool Las Vegas. I'll let everyone know how it really works. IMG_2398.JPG

fiend

Caught the Bug
I scheduled the full trans flush for tomorrow after my new transmission cooler goes on. I decided to get the Derale 13870 remote transmission cooler. I'll be installing it in almost the same location just before the rear axel on floor pan near tank, and between shock mounts. Summit Racing had it to my door in less than 2 days. This thing is built like a tank, and looks like it can cool Las Vegas. I'll let everyone know how it really works. View attachment 267940

Is it water proof? At that location, it's going to be underwater at some point.

Ddays

Hooked
Is it water proof? At that location, it's going to be underwater at some point.

Maybe not submersible but I would imagine that it'd have to be at last water resistant. I think another good location would be where the stock muffler is, or in my case, where it used to be. You could mount it high on the bottom of the floor pan there well out of harms way.

Edit: Description from Summits' site: "They have a powerful 150-watt waterproof and dustproof 800 cfm electric fan installed directly to them by using the included clear anodized aluminum shroud".

And you'd want to be sure to run a thermal switch if you use one of these coolers.

Last edited:

TRLJNKY

Im running a Hayden w/o a fan, 100 degrees ambient, and my trans runs 140-150 consistently.

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

Shelby73

Maybe not submersible but I would imagine that it'd have to be at last water resistant. I think another good location would be where the stock muffler is, or in my case, where it used to be. You could mount it high on the bottom of the floor pan there well out of harms way.

Edit: Description from Summits' site: "They have a powerful 150-watt waterproof and dustproof 800 cfm electric fan installed directly to them by using the included clear anodized aluminum shroud".

And you'd want to be sure to run a thermal switch if you use one of these coolers.

That's actually the location I'm going with, I'm tucking it right up there (floor pan rear of rear axel between shock mounts above exhaust on the floor pan) protection. Let the wrenches and fabrication begin. Good morning to everyone

Orage_Jeeper

I can take some pictures of mine if you want but I actually have the ripp trans cooler mounted right behind my ripp intercooler. There's no denying it's a super super tight fit but I've got it to where there's no rubbing. I wasn't sure how well it'd work in between the intercooler and condenser but it actually keeps the trans very cool. It always runs around the 130-160 range and I can't recall a time I've seen it at 200 with where the coolers at.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Shelby73

It works!

I wanted to wait before I posted the results. Well been driving everyday and even at 94 degrees outside at high humidity the trans temp has not gone above 190. Better yet with lower outside temps the trans hasn't been above 160. The Derale cooler may not cool Vegas but is doing wonders for the transmission. I'm more than happy to have the temps down to normal range. I hope this helps someone else out in the same boat.:beer: image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom