welders

Tackerdown

Banned
I've had this welder for a few years and have only used it for minor repairs on the work trucks and my tractors . I haven't used it for any real structural welding other than my mower deck. It doesn't have gas because I never thought I'd need it when I bought it. So I guess what I'm wondering is if it would be capable for welding guses or something to that nature.:thumbup: :thumbdown: thanks you very much

C.O.D.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've had this welder for a few years and have only used it for minor repairs on the work trucks and my tractors . I haven't used it for any real structural welding other than my mower deck. It doesn't have gas because I never thought I'd need it when I bought it. So I guess what I'm wondering is if it would be capable for welding guses or something to that nature.:thumbup: :thumbdown: thanks you very much

C.O.D.

Sure anything is capable of welding. It is really up to how well you can weld and how well your welds penetrate. If it is a strong weld it doesn't have to look pretty.

Tackerdown

Banned
It weld very good the operator on the other hand . I just haven't used it for anything over 10 gauge steel. I guess I shouldn't be stupid and just find something thicker and try it.:D

C.O.D.

Dave_g

Just get some scrap and go to town! I learned all my welding skills at community college. Found one with a weld cert program and took Stick, MIG and TIG. Even took a welding art class for the Oxyacetylene time. I'm not saying I am Pro, just learned the basics on most systems.

Tackerdown

Banned
I've learned to do a descent job but still need a grinder now and then so it doesn't look to much like a hack job. lol
I think I saw some angle out back that my son brought home from a job, its about a 1/4" so maybe that will do. I'll just borrow a piece for a storage fee. I am going to have to check on the different types of spools though and make sure I have the right type of wire.

Chiromancer

Just get some scrap and go to town! I learned all my welding skills at community college. Found one with a weld cert program and took Stick, MIG and TIG. Even took a welding art class for the Oxyacetylene time. I'm not saying I am Pro, just learned the basics on most systems.

Welding is something I've been interested in... How long are the certification programs? My work has me out of town 2-3 weeks per month so I may need to look for other venues

JKBANDIT55

If you got some thick stock just test it out. Put your welder on a high hot setting. You want your beed to melt downward in kind of like a U shape. If your weld is coming up, bubbling, then you aren't hot enough and the metal isn't fusing together properly.

I have been welding for 8 years now. Did 2 years Iron work, and 6 years welding at my current job.

Heres me doing some aluminum welding. :thumb:
6DE647F6-02D3-4628-A6BE-091430B6435C-5249-000004417BDD68F6_zps4277e6eb.jpg

Tackerdown

Banned
Cool pic. That's the hardest part for me ,getting the settings right. I've had to fill in one or two holes iv made before. I never welded aluminum before but that has to be as bad as brazing aluminum.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

i have the same welder. it will 1/4 in if you take a couple passes at it.
i put my home made LCA skids on with mine. great little welder actually

Tackerdown

Banned
i have the same welder. it will 1/4 in if you take a couple passes at it.
i put my home made LCA skids on with mine. great little welder actually

Thanks that was the other parts I wanted to weld. It's just that I watch the EVO guies weld and it looks like a machine did it. Welding on my tractor I don't really care but welding on a vehicle that's a little more serious . Last thing I want is something coming off because the welder couldn't handle that kind of metal .

JKBANDIT55

Cool pic. That's the hardest part for me ,getting the settings right. I've had to fill in one or two holes iv made before. I never welded aluminum before but that has to be as bad as brazing aluminum.

Thanks! Ya aluminum is totally different. You have to be fast as it burns and melts easier. Also you have to push the bead instead of follow like steel.

Honestly I'm sure your welder can handle what you wanna do. To be safe go over it again on the top and bottom side. The hotter you set it the better the weld will look.

JKBANDIT55

Oh and as far as figuring out the settings. Just try multiple settings on the same thickness steel. Just use a scrap piece and try different settings till you figure out what you like. Most welders have a guide on settings on the door panel

Tackerdown

Banned
get a hand full of flap wheels. my welds are ugly too. but im a master grinder.:thumb:

Thanks! Ya aluminum is totally different. You have to be fast as it burns and melts easier. Also you have to push the bead instead of follow like steel.

Honestly I'm sure your welder can handle what you wanna do. To be safe go over it again on the top and bottom side. The hotter you set it the better the weld will look.

Oh and as far as figuring out the settings. Just try multiple settings on the same thickness steel. Just use a scrap piece and try different settings till you figure out what you like. Most welders have a guide on settings on the door panel

My grinder works pretty well I've figured that part out first lol. I checked out back and the steal is still out there so I think I'll use that with my son so we can learn together. It's always good to have some bonding time. Flap wheels , that's 1 I never heard before ?

C.O.D.

Dave_g

Welding is something I've been interested in... How long are the certification programs? My work has me out of town 2-3 weeks per month so I may need to look for other venues

I never did it for Certification, but I believe some of the programs were 3-4 months for like Structural steal.

Top Bottom