Spring retainers

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hi all,
I decided to pull the trigger on EVO rockstars to raise my rear shock mounts a little. I don't like them hanging that low..... anyway everything should work out for me as far as shock length and all.

My only question is, should I also purchase spring retainers for the rear to prevent my coils form falling out?
Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance WAL family!!!! [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi all,
I decided to pull the trigger on EVO rockstars to raise my rear shock mounts a little. I don't like them hanging that low..... anyway everything should work out for me as far as shock length and all.

My only question is, should I also purchase spring retainers for the rear to prevent my coils form falling out?
Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance WAL family!!!! [emoji869]

What I would tell you is install the rock stars and then go and let you axle go to full droop in the garage. If the spring is super loose in the perch and it looks like they will fall out then you can go buy them. If not then don't worry about it. I know I never had an issue but depending on how long your shocks are you may need them.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
What I would tell you is install the rock stars and then go and let you axle go to full droop in the garage. If the spring is super loose in the perch and it looks like they will fall out then you can go buy them. If not then don't worry about it. I know I never had an issue but depending on how long your shocks are you may need them.

That's what I was thinking. What's the best way to flex my jeep in the garage? I have nice big floor jack but am always scared to just pick one side up that far.

Last time I went wheeling, that was the most I was able to flex my rear out. Driver side is all the way to the bumpstop and I like where that's at , looks like just enough room to add Rockstars, but I think the other side would flex more. I have bilsteins 5160 Aev spec which are around 27" fully extended.
Lol of course I had a measuring tape with me that time but for some odd reason I didn't take any measurements [emoji854]
Also I need extended brake lines which I already have, just trying to find some time to install.

IMG_4937.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
That's what I was thinking. What's the best way to flex my jeep in the garage? I have nice big floor jack but am always scared to just pick one side up that far.

Last time I went wheeling, that was the most I was able to flex my rear out. Driver side is all the way to the bumpstop and I like where that's at , looks like just enough room to add Rockstars, but I think the other side would flex more. I have bilsteins 5160 Aev spec which are around 27" fully extended.
Lol of course I had a measuring tape with me that time but for some odd reason I didn't take any measurements [emoji854]
Also I need extended brake lines which I already have, just trying to find some time to install.

View attachment 267600

Edit: I know what you mean now, duh..... support by the frame and let it droop [emoji108] got it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

View attachment 267600

Just let the axle fully hang so put floor jacks on the frame on both sides after lifting the Jeep from the diff. Once jacks are set you may need to pull your wheels for the extra droop. Then slowly lower the axle till just the shocks are holding it but leave the jack under the diff for safety

WJCO

Meme King
Disconnect sway bar. Jack up jeep as high as you can and put tall jack stands under the frame. Pull tires. Then using the jack, jack up one side of the axle under the control arm mount until axle hits bump stop and check how the other side droops. Do this while keeping an eye on your brake lines, etc.

Here's a pic of me testing mine. I'm jacking up driver's side control arm mount and checking brake lines,shocks,etc on passenger side. The silver things inside the coils are retainers. My setup does need them.

IMG_20170522_154348_213.jpg

Last edited:
J

JKDream

View attachment 267600

I have Synergys shock replacement bracket which move the mount up higher than EVO's and really long 28" shocks and I haven't dropped a coil.
My coils are also very sagged and short. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Install them and flex it out, see how it looks.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Just let the axle fully hang so put floor jacks on the frame on both sides after lifting the Jeep from the diff. Once jacks are set you may need to pull your wheels for the extra droop. Then slowly lower the axle till just the shocks are holding it but leave the jack under the diff for safety

Disconnect sway bar. Jack up jeep as high as you can and put tall jack stands under the frame. Pull tires. Then using the jack, jack up one side of the axle under the control arm mount until axle hits bump stop and check how the other side droops. Do this while keeping an eye on your brake lines, etc.

Here's a pic of me testing mine. I'm jacking up driver's side control arm mount and checking brake lines,shocks,etc on passenger side. The silver things inside the coils are retainers. My setup does need them.

View attachment 267603

I have Synergys shock replacement bracket which move the mount up higher than EVO's and really long 28" shocks and I haven't dropped a coil.
My coils are also very sagged and short. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Install them and flex it out, see how it looks.

Thanks for you responses guys. I will most definitely get the rockstars in and check if I need to add retainers first. No need to spend money where it's not needed.
If I do need them, I was looking at this Currie set, seems like a good choice by looking at the instructions.
http://currieenterprises.com/CE-9807RRK

J

JKDream

Thanks for you responses guys. I will most definitely get the rockstars in and check if I need to add retainers first. No need to spend money where it's not needed.
If I do need them, I was looking at this Currie set, seems like a good choice by looking at the instructions.
http://currieenterprises.com/CE-9807RRK

Good call. I never really liked the retainers that only mounted to one point of the spring. Sure they won't fall out, but they might not seat correctly when the tire comes back up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

Good call. I never really liked the retainers that only mounted to one point of the spring. Sure they won't fall out, but they might not seat correctly when the tire comes back up.

Agreed. If they only come barely unseated at full droop, they will find their own spot shortly thereafter with maybe a little resulting noise, not to worry. Just be sure to check as previously explained.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Agreed. If they only come barely unseated at full droop, they will find their own spot shortly thereafter with maybe a little resulting noise, not to worry. Just be sure to check as previously explained.

There is no stop/notch for the coils to seat into like there is in the front. I know form the instructions from a lift kit that the end of the coils at the top should be facing towards the rear of the jeep

Like so
IMG_5137.jpg

Is that correct? Would it hurt anything if the coils are rotated a little?

J

JKDream

There is no stop/notch for the coils to seat into like there is in the front. I know form the instructions from a lift kit that the end of the coils at the top should be facing towards the rear of the jeep

Like so
View attachment 267672

Is that correct? Would it hurt anything if the coils are rotated a little?

It doesn't, other than noise. It technically doesn't in the front either. You get a really weird noise when they reseat though with that much pressure. Mine in the front currently REALLY unseat. I have yet to deal with it but god damn it sounds like a coil spring just shot across the moon everytime it does it. PIIIIIIIIIIIINNNGGGGGGGGGGG.

**I really wish there was a solution for the front upper bucket.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
It doesn't, other than noise. It technically doesn't in the front either. You get a really weird noise when they reseat though with that much pressure. Mine in the front currently REALLY unseat. I have yet to deal with it but god damn it sounds like a coil spring just shot across the moon everytime it does it. PIIIIIIIIIIIINNNGGGGGGGGGGG.

**I really wish there was a solution for the front upper bucket.

Lol, good to know. At least I won't freak out too much when that happens....
Thanks

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I installed the Rockstars yesterday afternoon. With the sway bar disconnected the driver side coil seems to be pretty loose at full droop, it makes me think I need the spring retainers. There is about 1/4 to a 1/2" gap between factory isolator and the spring bucket.
It is slightly less loose with the sway bar connected, I still think I need the retainers just incase, it would really suck to loose a coil on the trail.
Here's a video at full droop and sway bar disconnected
https://youtu.be/lXK5RxgK2nA

What you guys think?

Ddays

Hooked
My coils stayed in at full droop but when both corners are flexed out the coil drops out. Make sure you check that!

Sent from my iThingie

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
My coils stayed in at full droop but when both corners are flexed out the coil drops out. Make sure you check that!

Sent from my iThingie

On the video I had both corners at full droop in the rear. My coils didn't fall out by the driver side is really loose. With the sway bar connected is a little tighter but still pretty loose.

Top Bottom