How Loud is YOUR JK?

feederic

While searching for relative comparisons between tire make,mfg, etc in regards to performance and sound, I realized how subjective noise can be from person to person and their driving conditions.

I recently purchased some ridge grapplers in hopes of quieting down road noise from the stock rubicon BFG Mud Terrains - and decided to download a noise decibel measuring app (app names ends in 10th :) )I'm hoping to get a measureable difference in the average db reading across the same stretch of highway driven at the same speed, it will be a week or two before the new tires are mounted.

If it turns out not to be a huge wash, maybe forum members can chime in to help quantify their setups to help out other jeepers.

Make: 2016 JKUHR
Mods: None
Mileage: 14,100
Average DB: 87.2 @ 65-65 MPH
Duration: 15 miles
Peak DB: 92.1
Tires: Stock BFG Mud Terrain

jorgelrod

Hooked
While searching for relative comparisons between tire make,mfg, etc in regards to performance and sound, I realized how subjective noise can be from person to person and their driving conditions.

I recently purchased some ridge grapplers in hopes of quieting down road noise from the stock rubicon BFG Mud Terrains - and decided to download a noise decibel measuring app (app names ends in 10th :) )I'm hoping to get a measureable difference in the average db reading across the same stretch of highway driven at the same speed, it will be a week or two before the new tires are mounted.

If it turns out not to be a huge wash, maybe forum members can chime in to help quantify their setups to help out other jeepers.

Make: 2016 JKUHR
Mods: None
Mileage: 14,100
Average DB: 87.2 @ 65-65 MPH
Duration: 15 miles
Peak DB: 92.1
Tires: Stock BFG Mud Terrain

More than my son, less than my wife...
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

All jokes Aside, at 55MPH or below, I can have my radio at Volume 16 and it sounds perfect, Above that I have to go up to 20...

303jkpatriot

I do not have a Decibel reader, but having run M/T's for a few thousand and switching to A/T's it was a night and day difference in road noise. I first went to the Exo Grappler for 25k miles and they had a little noise, but were still quieter than the M/Ts. I run the Ridge Grapplers now in 37's and they are super quiet. Most days I drive to work doorless and even at 75 I am not hearing the roaring of the tires, just the wind, lots of wind.

Last edited:

Wethy

What i can tell you is that i have had 35/12.50/17 ridge grapplers installed last week and they are quieter than my 285/70/17 duratracs were when they were new. There is basically no noticable noise from the tires have had the doors off since installing them as well. A very quiet tire

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

feederic

What i can tell you is that i have had 35/12.50/17 ridge grapplers installed last week and they are quieter than my 285/70/17 duratracs were when they were new. There is basically no noticable noise from the tires have had the doors off since installing them as well. A very quiet tire

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Glad to hear that, I've got some on order.

kawimoto

I do not have a Decibel reader, but having run M/T's for a few thousand and switching to A/T's it was a night and day difference in road noise. I first went to the Exo Grappler for 25k miles and they had a little noise, but were still quieter than the M/Ts. I run the Ridge Grapplers now in 37's and they are super quiet. Most days I drive to work doorless and even at 75 I am not hearing the roaring of the tires, just the wind, lots of wind.

good info! ive been curious about how much quieter theyd be compared to a mt

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
My Nitto mud grapplers are loud but I never really think about it. I can still hear the radio and my wife and I can have a conversation just fine. I get more noise from wind when the top is down.

black pearl

Hooked
I have BFG mud Terrains. they have gotten louder as they wear, but most of the noise is from wind, not running doors. I could see how some people would think they are loud, doesn't bother me though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKU Fireman

My new Toyo ATII 35x12.5's are much quieter than the stock BFG mud terrains. But, like others......I can only hear the wind

Top Bottom