Clutch Alignment Tool Help!

Caffine_Addict

So long story short, I went wheeling last week in my 2017JKU. After a series of unfortunate events in on the trail got stuck in mud/water and blew the clutch. no pedal feel with not grip in gear either.

So here where the help is needed, purchased a new clutch and TOB but the mopar doesn't sell or even have any specs on what alignment tool I need. I now need to source one on my own and am wondering if anyone on the forums knows a part number or the specs (diameter, teeth count, pilot bearing diameter) to install this clutch?

My last option was to purchase a clutch kit from autozone, use the alignment tool and then return the kit. lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Honestly I would do the latter but be honest with them. I had an auto parts store allow me to do that once many years ago. It's not like you can damage the tool. Ask them to set the kit aside and assure them that you'll bring it back. They just set the rest of the kit aside in the meantime.

Morkai

They make universal clutch alignment tools that come with different sized adapters as well, that's what Ive always used on my vehicles over the years. Never had a problem aligning a clutch with it. I'd definitely try what WJCO said first tho, that's a free solution for a tool you need for 5 minutes, haha.

On a side note, just in case you didn't know, I'd definitely do something with the flywheel before installing the new clutch. If you smoked your clutch it will more than likely have heat cracks all over it and need at the minimum resurfacing. You don't really wanna install a new clutch on a baked flywheel.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

sassmouth

So long story short, I went wheeling last week in my 2017JKU. After a series of unfortunate events in on the trail got stuck in mud/water and blew the clutch. no pedal feel with not grip in gear either.

So here where the help is needed, purchased a new clutch and TOB but the mopar doesn't sell or even have any specs on what alignment tool I need. I now need to source one on my own and am wondering if anyone on the forums knows a part number or the specs (diameter, teeth count, pilot bearing diameter) to install this clutch?

My last option was to purchase a clutch kit from autozone, use the alignment tool and then return the kit. lol

What clutch did you go with? I just replaced mine. I went with spec which included an alignment tool. You will also need a flywheel turner tool. I went with Lisle 23800 through Amazon

sassmouth

They make universal clutch alignment tools that come with different sized adapters as well, that's what Ive always used on my vehicles over the years. Never had a problem aligning a clutch with it. I'd definitely try what WJCO said first tho, that's a free solution for a tool you need for 5 minutes, haha.

On a side note, just in case you didn't know, I'd definitely do something with the flywheel before installing the new clutch. If you smoked your clutch it will more than likely have heat cracks all over it and need at the minimum resurfacing. You don't really wanna install a new clutch on a baked flywheel.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Mopar doesn't recommend resurfacing more than 0.003" he should expect replacing the flywheel too

Last edited:

sassmouth

Here is the info on the clutch setting tool

1 1/8" dia (1.09" actual) x 10 teeth x 3/4" dia

1500034536840.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
its a 2017! why the hell wouldnt you go to the dealer for a faulty clutch? unless you were ABUSING the jeep :idontknow:

Caffine_Addict

No joke! I would head to the dealership

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
if you guys could read the original message, water and mud got into the bell housing which caused the clutch to go. and if you read in the drive train warranty package, any sign of water/mud through the inspection port determines the void and null..

sassmouth

It is not unusual to burn out the clutch in mud. That happened to me when I was very green to offloading.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer but when they disassemble it and find mud or dirt up in there I'm sure they would say driver error.

Caffine_Addict

It is not unusual to burn out the clutch in mud. That happened to me when I was very green to offloading.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer but when they disassemble it and find mud or dirt up in there I'm sure they would say driver error.
Precisely, already called to confirm before I tore into it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Precisely, already called to confirm before I tore into it.

:doh: :cheesy: :naw:

Let me guess, did you say something like "I was beating the shit out of my jeep and now its broken. Got mudding, pussy footed it, and now shits in deep. Cash me outside howbow dah???"

:doh:

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
How many miles on the jeep? I think clutches are only covered for 12k as they are considered a wear item. Would be sweet if you could get it warranted though.

EDIT: I just saw the other three recent posts.

Caffine_Addict

:doh: :cheesy: :naw:

Let me guess, did you say something like "I was beating the shit out of my jeep and now its broken. Got mudding, pussy footed it, and now shits in deep. Cash me outside howbow dah???"

:doh:
Since your such a telepathic genius, I'm just going to let you think that's how it went down during that phone call and appreciate the actual helpful responses.

JKU Arizona

I replaced mine about 3 weeks ago and used this tool. AutoZone has it as a loaner tool.

Good luck, if you don't have one already I would recommend a good impact gun for the job.

0314_Right.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom