Uprgrading Springs/shocks

Eroc147

So I currently have RK 2.5 inch springs that amount to a little over 3 inches of lift on my Jeep. They ride absolutely terrible, and I want something softer. I was thinking about getting the Evo 3" plush rides that seem to be very popular. So I have read here that they typically run a true 3" of lift. So my question is, I should just be able to throw them in there and that's it correct? Also I have the Fox 2.0s right now and I have also read here that they tend to ride rough as well if not calibrated correctly for a JK. So should I start with changing the springs out first and see what it's like or start with the shocks? I have ridden in friend's Jeeps with different kits from Rough Country to Rancho to Evo and they all ride much much smoother than mine. And I run 28 PSI in my 35s btw. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

black pearl

Hooked
So I currently have RK 2.5 inch springs that amount to a little over 3 inches of lift on my Jeep. They ride absolutely terrible, and I want something softer. I was thinking about getting the Evo 3" plush rides that seem to be very popular. So I have read here that they typically run a true 3" of lift. So my question is, I should just be able to throw them in there and that's it correct? Also I have the Fox 2.0s right now and I have also read here that they tend to ride rough as well if not calibrated correctly for a JK. So should I start with changing the springs out first and see what it's like or start with the shocks? I have ridden in friend's Jeeps with different kits from Rough Country to Rancho to Evo and they all ride much much smoother than mine. And I run 28 PSI in my 35s btw. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

I bought a taraflex lift (I know big mistake) the jeep road like a dump truck. I switched to rancho 9000s, 100% better ride. I am planning on doing evo 3" plush ride when I can. Not sure if that answers question, but that my experience with a bad lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I'm curious to know this as well. Same boat. Budget only allows one upgrade right now. Shocks or springs, which is the better improvement first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

The Fox ride garbage with the EVO plush coils. Get the Rancho 9000 with the EVOs and that's a very budget friendly, great ride.

Springs are what are giving you most of your ride comfort. Although the shocks do have a lot to do with it as well since we're never just driving on perfect roads.

pedroj14

I currently run EVO Plush 3" springs on Bilstein 5100s. I have also heard good things about JKS springs (soft ride).

I would recommend upgrading the springs and feel how they ride prior to changing shocks.

Jeepfan30

The Fox ride garbage with the EVO plush coils. Get the Rancho 9000 with the EVOs and that's a very budget friendly, great ride.

Springs are what are giving you most of your ride comfort. Although the shocks do have a lot to do with it as well since we're never just driving on perfect roads.

I just swapped out my Fox 2.0 for Rancho 9000....like a whole new world. The Fox were very firm paired with the 3" EVO coils. I wish I would have went with the Ranchos much sooner.

Eroc147

Now I'm just as undecided as before haha. Can anyone chime in that has RK springs? Maybe if I just got some ranchos my ride would be a lot better. Or should I just say screw it and get both to ensure a good ride??

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I like something Eddie said one time about this. Basically, springs are more important than shocks. You can put the best shock in the world on a leaf spring, and put the worst shock in the world on a coil spring and the coil sprung Jeep will ride better. Not an exact quote but that's the jist of it. Do springs first then shocks if you need them, best for the money is the rancho 9000 adjustable.

srbell0585

I have rk springs and swapped the bilstien's out for rancho 9000's. It made a night and day difference in how soft the ride was. Personally if you can only replace one item I would do the shocks first.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eroc147

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start with the Ranchos. That way if they were the culprit then great, if I end up having to get springs as well atleast I already know I have great shocks.
Does $373 for the set of four sound about right? That's on amazon. Any better/cheaper place to get them?

Jeepfan30

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start with the Ranchos. That way if they were the culprit then great, if I end up having to get springs as well atleast I already know I have great shocks.
Does $373 for the set of four sound about right? That's on amazon. Any better/cheaper place to get them?

That is a good price. Rancho also has a $100 mail in rebate until September. I just mailed mine in.

black pearl

Hooked

I'm pretty sure that's what I found mine for online also

Deacon

Had a 15 Sport JKU with RK 2.5 coils paired with the Ranchos 9000's and it was a great ride. Since then I traded and now have a 16 JKUR with an MC 3.5 lift , started with the Ranchos 9000 and it never rode good, switched out the Ranchos for the MC Long travel shocks and rode on them for a year and just settled on the ride. The ride was comfortable but the jeep never handled like my 15 sport handled and I never could figure out why. I upgraded the rear sway bar to a Hellwig upon the advice from Rubitrux - didn't make a difference. My caster and toe are in spec.

Long story short - I ordered KING 2.5's valved for my Jeep and now I tell ya Im loving my Jeep again. I ordered with the adjusters and have front set at 14 and rears at 8 - they have I think 25 clicks of adjustment. While no where being economical shocks and wife hasn't a clue what they cost. The shocks stiffend up the front, no more dives left/right when braking, corners so much flatter and my steering seems tighter. Only had them on for 2 weeks so its still early to give a True review. Just saying if you have the coin you may want to invest in a set, they made me Happy :rock:

Top Bottom