Brake line fitting question.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Should this fitting at the end of the hard brake line be spinning freely on the line? From some videos and write ups I've seen it should. Mine is stuck and I don't want to put to much pressure on it so I won't kink/break the hardline.

Any ideas?

IMG_5155.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Should this fitting at the end of the hard brake line be spinning freely on the line? From some videos and write ups I've seen it should. Mine is stuck and I don't want to put to much pressure on it so I won't kink/break the hardline.

Any ideas?

View attachment 268314

Yes it is suppose to spin freely. Spray some on blaster on the top side of it to help lube and loosen it up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably not spinning because the hard line is a bit bent a bit. When you attach your soft line to it, hold it in place with a wrench and then use a flare nut wrench to tighten the nut.

WJCO

Meme King
Agreed with Eddie. Looks like the bend is keeping the fitting from spinning. A light bend back won't hurt anything. Most important: when you hook that line up, make 100% sure the threads go in correctly. If not, you're totally screwed.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I tried both pb blaster and flare nut wrench. The fitting won't budge, it's twists the line. Ugh.... that's so annoying. I really don't want to break the hard line. Anybody has any other ideas? I would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I tried both pb blaster and flare nut wrench. The fitting won't budge, it's twists the line. Ugh.... that's so annoying. I really don't want to break the hard line. Anybody has any other ideas? I would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Again, the slight bend in the hard line is more than likely what's keeping the nut from spinning. If you do most of the holding with a wrench on the larger soft line end, you should be able to free up the nut. Really, the worst that can happen is that you do damage/break the hard line and that can be easily fixed with a flare tool.

JKbrick

Again, the slight bend in the hard line is more than likely what's keeping the nut from spinning. If you do most of the holding with a wrench on the larger soft line end, you should be able to free up the nut. Really, the worst that can happen is that you do damage/break the hard line and that can be easily fixed with a flare tool.

Isn't it a double flare or something? I'm drawing a blank on the correct term

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Any luck?

Wasn't planing on learning how to use the flare tool today but I am glad I did..... now I know more than I did before I started. Couple trips to auto store, one broken fitting, cut the factory line twice and one side is done lol. I managed to manipulate the factory brake line to get me enough to make a connection. I also learned the hard way something that I already knew, brass is really soft metal and you can't just grab it with a pair of pliers when it gets stuck on the line....

Thank You Eddie [emoji482]

IMG_5156.jpg
IMG_5157.jpg
IMG_5158.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't planing on learning how to use the flare tool today but I am glad I did..... know I know more than I did before I started. Couple trips to auto store, one broken fitting, cut the factory line twice and one side is done lol. I managed to manipulate the factory brake line to get me enough to make a connection. I also learned the hard way something that I already knew, brass is really soft metal and you can't just grab it with a pair of pliers when it gets stuck on the line....

Thank You Eddie [emoji482]

Awesome, you just learned something yourself a useful skill and something you will use again in the future :thumb:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Wow. Good for you for doing that yourself. Glad you got it working.

Am glad I did it myself, at least I have a piece of mind now. I know why, and most importantly HOW it was done. I also ended up flushing my whole system. Finished about an hr ago, other side gave a little different set of problems. I will post a summary of this job later on today or tomorrow morning, hopefully somebody can relate to this in the future. Now am just enjoying couple victory beers [emoji854]

Andy5160

Hooked
Am glad I did it myself, at least I have a piece of mind now. I know why, and most importantly HOW it was done. I also ended up flushing my whole system. Finished about an hr ago, other side gave a little different set of problems. I will post a summary of this job later on today or tomorrow morning, hopefully somebody can relate to this in the future. Now am just enjoying couple victory beers [emoji854]

Well done man!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom