towing and backing with a manual

wanderer

I would think towing with a manual is any harder than with an auto. But when you are backing up a trailer and you have to make very short directional changes on slight up hill grade is it a lot harder. Say for instance backing a 17 foot tent trailer into the right 1/2 of an uphill driveway . Does any on do that? besides me? Is it really hard? I am severely challenged when backing up any way.

FallonJeeper

Towing, not much difference, but backing and adding the requirement of using a clutch does add a bit to the complexity. You actually have to sit more in the seat, turn your head rather than your whole body and rely on your mirrors more.

I've done it with both manual and automatic. Practice makes perfect.
The
After you've done it a few times, it'll be second nature.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I would think towing with a manual is any harder than with an auto. But when you are backing up a trailer and you have to make very short directional changes on slight up hill grade is it a lot harder. Say for instance backing a 17 foot tent trailer into the right 1/2 of an uphill driveway . Does any on do that? besides me? Is it really hard? I am severely challenged when backing up any way.

As Fallon said, practice makes perfect. Hook on and practice a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
I tow a lot with my manual jeep. As said practice, practice, practice.
Maybe a helpful hint, if your really having a hard time. Hold the bottom of the wheel, instead of the top. This will help with reverse steering. When you pull your hand to the right (to make trailer go right) you will actually be turning the wheel left, as needed.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

I was going to share that tip.
Reference the bottom of the steering wheel. If you want to move the trailer left, move the bottom of the steering wheel to the left. ;o)

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

My dad used to drive semi trucks for Pepsi and damn that guy can back a trailer into some tight spots, and the tip he gave me was the same as above put one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel if you want the trailer to go left move your hand left and visa versa it works great. Don't have to worry about the reverse thinking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
My dad has a 2 door manual rubicon. When I was backing up his very short utility trailer up a hill, using 4-lo really make it easier.

Dprochef

I use about a 15 foot trailer to pull our riding lawnmower. Have to back it up a driveway and into 1/2 the garage. Been doing it all this summer. Still practicing. I'll be trying that tip tomorrow when I go mow.

Top Bottom