How to transport with tow rig?

GraniteCrystal

Looking at CJ8s nationwide. They weigh more than the 3500lb towing capacity on my JK. What's the best way to get one across the country?

1 - drive it but not always an option or at least a smart one
2 - rent a truck/trailer that could tow it?
3 - could I put it inside a moving truck?
4 - pay to put it on a semi

Andy5160

Hooked
Looking at CJ8s nationwide. They weigh more than the 3500lb towing capacity on my JK. What's the best way to get one across the country?

1 - drive it but not always an option or at least a smart one
2 - rent a truck/trailer that could tow it?
3 - could I put it inside a moving truck?
4 - pay to put it on a semi

5. Friend who has pick up truck?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Total for renting a 16' moving truck and car carrier from Budget is $752.64

To have it on a semi I think is around $0.90/mile so that'd be about $850.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Look into uship.com. Its basically an auction site for truckers that are deadheading. Since they would have been empty it's often cheaper than just calling a trucking company.

I've also used haulmatch.com. I spent about $400ish to ship non running vehicles around 1200 miles. Its cheaper if they can drive them onto truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

duktrx

When I found my Jeep, I didn't have time to fly and drive, I paid $450 to have my Jeep shipped from Colorado to Oregon. My brother shipped his Camaro on Amtrak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Turbotastic

I paid 1600 to transport my JK across the country through Uship. I believe 2-300 of that cost was due to oversized tires/modified vehicle fees so your cost may be less if it's relatively stock.

GraniteCrystal

Just priced out a few options. To get it from Utah to Colorado, a 450 mile drive, the option I'm going with is to rent a Dodge Ram from Enterprise for 24 hours for $150 and a car carrier from UHaul for $50. Total of $200 and it'll get here with no wear and tear.

Diesel_Ranger

Might want to make sure the truck has a receiver. A good friend works for enterprise and reminded me recently that none of the trucks/SUV were supposed to have a receiver hitch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
Just priced out a few options. To get it from Utah to Colorado, a 450 mile drive, the option I'm going with is to rent a Dodge Ram from Enterprise for 24 hours for $150 and a car carrier from UHaul for $50. Total of $200 and it'll get here with no wear and tear.

I think this is the price you can live with.

GraniteCrystal

Might want to make sure the truck has a receiver. A good friend works for enterprise and reminded me recently that none of the trucks/SUV were supposed to have a receiver hitch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app
Big thanks for mentioning this. I called to confirm and it would NOT have had a hitch. They said I needed to put it thru a separate branch that does that. I called over there and they transferred the reservation to them. Now I'm in a 3/4 ton pickup with a hitch. Cost went up about $40. Thanks for the heads up!

Andy5160

Hooked
Big thanks for mentioning this. I called to confirm and it would NOT have had a hitch. They said I needed to put it thru a separate branch that does that. I called over there and they transferred the reservation to them. Now I'm in a 3/4 ton pickup with a hitch. Cost went up about $40. Thanks for the heads up!

So which Jeep you getting?

Top Bottom