Rear Airbumps: Short Arm vs Long Arm Placement

aermotor

I currently have an EVO+Currie short arm setup, and some of the EVO rear air bumps I want to install. However, I was told that if I later upgrade to a long arm setup that the bumps will no longer match up and they will need to be cut out and repositioned. Trying to get further clarification on this. I know the axle moves in a curve with the arms, but is the difference really THAT great that the air bumps would not later work on long arms?

Thanks for any advice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I recall, EVO has a new rear air bump that's designed to be installed in addition to the factory jounce stop and make contact with new pads mounted on top of the axle upper control arm mounts. This as opposed to removing the factory jounce stops and frenching in an air bump to make contact with the axle at the factory pads. Because of this change, I could see how it might be a problem but it's hard to say for sure without seeing how everything is setup.

aermotor

Thanks Eddie, I haven't heard of their new bumps yet, I have the kit that's frenched into the frame. If I go that route, will I have issues if I change to a long arm later? The difference seems very small, but I don't know the geometry of it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, I haven't heard of their new bumps yet, I have the kit that's frenched into the frame. If I go that route, will I have issues if I change to a long arm later? The difference seems very small, but I don't know the geometry of it.

I wouldn't think so but I don't know for sure being that I got air bumps after installing the long arm kit. I would defer to what EVO has to say about it.

aermotor

I'll ask again or see if there is someway to get them in a good enough spot to work for both. Have a lot of upgrades before long arms... famous last words...

aTX427

From what I recall, EVO has a new rear air bump that's designed to be installed in addition to the factory jounce stop and make contact with new pads mounted on top of the axle upper control arm mounts. This as opposed to removing the factory jounce stops and frenching in an air bump to make contact with the axle at the factory pads. Because of this change, I could see how it might be a problem but it's hard to say for sure without seeing how everything is setup.

Do you know if they are going to use a threaded body like Fox's rear air bump?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

I emailed ORE to inquire about the newer design.

I will most likely just put on the ones I have and deal with them if I ever go long arm.

aermotor

ORE says the new bump is not theirs, it's Kings, and they (Drew) doesn't like it. Not sure what it looks like. Sticking with the ones I have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ORE says the new bump is not theirs, it's Kings, and they (Drew) doesn't like it. Not sure what it looks like. Sticking with the ones I have.

Ah, thanks for posting that up. I was just thinking about calling Mel to ask about it.

tgoss

I'll chime in. I did have evo rock stops on my short arm set up and it was great.

When I upgraded to long arms ORE had to completely reposition them due to the arc the rear axle now travels in and I won't lie, it was a large addition to my bill that I didn't foresee, even preparing for a lot.

If you're thinking of doing long arms later and want these now, just wait, you'll likely have to cut up that frame and French them in all over again.

Studfam24

I'll chime in. I did have evo rock stops on my short arm set up and it was great.

When I upgraded to long arms ORE had to completely reposition them due to the arc the rear axle now travels in and I won't lie, it was a large addition to my bill that I didn't foresee, even preparing for a lot.

If you're thinking of doing long arms later and want these now, just wait, you'll likely have to cut up that frame and French them in all over again.

Great info!!

Build thread:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=37388

IG @jk_studcon

aermotor

Great first hand account, thanks Tal.

I already have the rear Rock Stops, not planning on a long arm, but if I happen to do it, I'll have to deal with it later myself. Thanks for letting us know!

Top Bottom