35 Spline Lockers JK 44 & Flanges

J

JKDream

So I'm in the market for a new rear locker as mine is on its way out.
I was comparing the 35 spline upgrade versus just going with a regular locker and the cost difference.
I don't necessarily need the spline size upgrade as my rear has taken a thrashing, and I have yet to break a shaft.
The flanges however, I've bent two already, both drivers side. Not too much of a big deal because it's never left me stranded.
But that begs the question, is there any improvement in strength on the flanges for a 35 spline setup?
I've only seen photos, and they look pretty much the same size. If that's the case - I'm a bit hesitant to spend the extra money.

aermotor

Good question and I would like to know as well.

If they are a true 35 spline all the way down the shaft, I could imagine there has to be a bit more surface area the flange is mated too, if that makes sense, but don't know. Curious.

Rottenbelly

I bent my G2 35 spline axle flange also.
Running 37 mud grapplers at the time.
Just enough to be annoying and make the brake squeak.

My buddy broke one but he was running 40s.
I gotta say it took a lot of hops and abuse before it broke.
Actually bent all the luv but studs before it broke.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think RCV warranties their flanges.

Right, like how they warranty twisted splines and the annoying supper loud snapping sound that you hear on their front shafts in stead of calling problems like that "normal". :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm in the market for a new rear locker as mine is on its way out.
I was comparing the 35 spline upgrade versus just going with a regular locker and the cost difference.
I don't necessarily need the spline size upgrade as my rear has taken a thrashing, and I have yet to break a shaft.
The flanges however, I've bent two already, both drivers side. Not too much of a big deal because it's never left me stranded.
But that begs the question, is there any improvement in strength on the flanges for a 35 spline setup?
I've only seen photos, and they look pretty much the same size. If that's the case - I'm a bit hesitant to spend the extra money.

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do with a semi-float shaft. Over the last 10 years, I have yet to see a single one not bend at the flange especially if you're running wheels with a lot less back spacing. Your best bet is to get a set of shafts with a good warranty - as in, a company that WILL warranty them.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Right, like how they warranty twisted splines and the annoying supper loud snapping sound that you hear on their front shafts in stead of calling problems like that "normal". :crazyeyes:

Yep! 2 more months of snapping on mine then my ProRocks will be here! No more RCVs for me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do with a semi-float shaft. Over the last 10 years, I have yet to see a single one not bend at the flange especially if you're running wheels with a lot less back spacing. Your best bet is to get a set of shafts with a good warranty - as in, a company that WILL warranty them.
Thanks for the feedback. From what I'm gathering there's really not much benefit in terms of flange strength - it's more of a buy shafts that are covered kind of thing. I suppose I could get by on another 30spl locker and buy shafts down the road if I bend another. I just kept replacing OEM ones as you can find them here for $50.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I bent my G2 35 spline axle flange also.
Running 37 mud grapplers at the time.
Just enough to be annoying and make the brake squeak.

My buddy broke one but he was running 40s.
I gotta say it took a lot of hops and abuse before it broke.
Actually bent all the luv but studs before it broke.

Did they warranty the g2? Did you have a hell of a time getting a replacement? I've been dealing with them for two weeks.

kawimoto

Only thing you can do on semifloat is avoid the bounce, and pinching the rear axle as much as possible. often line choice can keep those flanges safe. but at the end of the day just know that you've chosen a brand that'll warranty the bent flange in the event you get one. personally I keep the ones with bent flanges as spares in the event I snap a shaft I can still limp home on a bent flange shaft of old.

I ran the same 35 spline G2 gold chromoly shafts on my stock 44 and 37 terra grapplers. Bent the rear driver flange after only maybe 6 wheeling trips? Wheeled it pretty hard though so not necessarily a big surprise, but I was hoping to get more out of them. I drove it like that (really baby'd it) for another couple trips because I knew I was going full float and 60's in the next couple months. Sold the rear axle to a buyer who said G2 warrantied them without question. I guess it's hit or miss with them on the warranty thing.

J

JKDream

Only thing you can do on semifloat is avoid the bounce, and pinching the rear axle as much as possible. often line choice can keep those flanges safe.

But that's half of the fun :crazyeyes: Haha.

wjtstudios

Hooked
35 Spline Lockers JK 44 & Flanges

I am on my third set of revolution shafts running 37s. The dirt roads around me destroy them. Revolution's warranty has been awesome! All they ask is that I buy a second set when I bend the first. Once I swap them I box up the bent flanges shafts and ship them back. They test them to confirm they are bent, and then they refund me the cost of the second set. You could just ship the bent shafts back and then they will send you a new set, but then you are down a couple of weeks during that process and it's my daily driver and I can't do that. It's the best answer I've come up with next to upgrading to the pr60 that will happen this fall.

Top Bottom