Side Marker Light Problem

matt08jk

Recently installed a side marker light following a fender chop. Passenger side works perfectly, but the driver side (although it has good contact and I did the white to black thing) is not working. What's more is that now the front marker light on the driver side is also not working. It will not illuminate steady (like when the headlights are on) BUT it does work for the turn signal function. I've checked connections and everything seems to be secure.... Any ideas????

A photo for reference (pulled the wiring that I messed with down and took the tape off of it in case I just did something really dumb and obviously wrong)....
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 43

Frydaddy

I got it.

To confirm: Side marker black to turn signal White with grey stripe. Ive done some testing on my own with LED bulbs in the stock housing, And i found out whats going on. With this mod, you need a dual polarity bulb to make this work. That is, with the running lights off and turn signals on, the current flows one way, but with the running lights on, the current flows the other way. (this is why the turn signals oppose each other, because the turn signal neutralizes current through the side marker.)

So to get side markers AND turn signals, you need incandescent bulbs, or an LED bulb with opposed elements (it lights up in either direction)

Last edited:

matt08jk

It's weird. This is the second jeep I've put these on and so far three of the four have worked. It's a pretty simple install...plug the white into the black and the black into the white for the preexisting wiring for the original side marker. I check the M17 fuse as you mentioned, looks good....but I'm gonna buy a new one anyway. The little read out in the fuse box says that fuse also controls the rear drivers side light too....which is working. So I'm stumped. Called the manufacturer...they are stumped too.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Maybe they goofed on the wiring and got it backwards. I've had the problem with some lights like this, switched the wires around and it worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom