Diff Cover Damage

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
So I officially went wheeling for the first time (Holy Jim near my house doesn't count) over on Gold Mountain trail in Big Bear and as a rookie scrapped my diffs (among other things..yes it was awesome) and this happened.

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

Looks like its leaking a bit. No evidence on the ground but definitely to the touch. If i run my finger on the cover I can feel the oil. I'm wondering if I should just put some silicone on it to buy me some time to replace covers or should I replace it immediately. Any advice?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
You can replace the diff cover with something beefier, or Eddie had a great (FREE!!) solution. I'll have to try and find the pictures.

J

JKDream

So I officially went wheeling for the first time (Holy Jim near my house doesn't count) over on Gold Mountain trail in Big Bear and as a rookie scrapped my diffs (among other things..yes it was awesome) and this happened.

View attachment 268787

View attachment 268788

Looks like its leaking a bit. No evidence on the ground but definitely to the touch. If i run my finger on the cover I can feel the oil. I'm wondering if I should just put some silicone on it to buy me some time to replace covers or should I replace it immediately. Any advice?
You can reseal it, but I would suggest taking a grinder and flap disk and smoothing out the bottom of the cover to be flush with the differential. It is less likely to peel back like that and leak. I've had a slow leak for months without issues if you don't have time right away.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Yup, my FREE solution is to remove the cover, grind the bottom lip so that it sits ABOVE the diff housing and then reinstall. Costs nothing and you won't have this problem again :yup:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
You can reseal it, but I would suggest taking a grinder and flap disk and smoothing out the bottom of the cover to be flush with the differential. It is less likely to peel back like that and leak. I've had a slow leak for months without issues if you don't have time right away.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL!! Yup, my FREE solution is to remove the cover, grind the bottom lip so that it sits ABOVE the diff housing and then reinstall. Costs nothing and you won't have this problem again :yup:

^^ Yes, this.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Eddies solution works great and I've been wheeling that way for a while. One of those things I'm baffled as to why fiat/Chrysler hasn't just done already.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddies solution works great and I've been wheeling that way for a while. One of those things I'm baffled as to why fiat/Chrysler hasn't just done already.

Well, it's technically a Dana issue being that FCA buys their axles fully assembled from them. But, I agree, you'd think they'd get that figured out by now.

Top Bottom