Need some help

Eroc147

A good friend of mine is looking to buy an AEV outfitted 2014 JKUR w 36k. I've been talking to the salesperson for her since she doesn't know a lot about Jeeps and I have a 2014 JKURX. I asked him to snap a bunch of photos of the undercarriage so I could see how much trail rash it had, what the lift looked like etc. so everything looked alright other than some red clay stained parts(who cares). Until I got to one picture and noticed a leak at the oil pan and transmission. The. I also noticed that the transmission actually looks twisted. What or why could this be? I've included the pic of that Jeep and mine(both automatics) for comparison. Should this be a huge red flag? Thanks! IMG_1172.jpg IMG_1171.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
That would not be worth the risk to me.

I would give a lot of credit to the salesman who took that picture and shared it with you. It would have been really easy for someone who just wanted to make a sale to pass on sharing that picture.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Eroc147

That would not be worth the risk to me.

I would give a lot of credit to the salesman who took that picture and shared it with you. It would have been really easy for someone who just wanted to make a sale to pass on sharing that picture.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Yeah they are taking a look at it now. And I agree, he probably just cost himself a sale cause we probably won't drive the 3 hours to go look at it now unless they can 150% prove there is no issue. It's a bummer cause it's a beautiful Jeep other than that.
IMG_1155.jpg

Diesel_Ranger

Take a photo with your rubber boots taken out and see if the holes look the same then, just out of curiosity. Because the bolt holes that mount the trans to the engine wouldn't even be close if it was that far off.

Eroc147

Take a photo with your rubber boots taken out and see if the holes look the same then, just out of curiosity. Because the bolt holes that mount the trans to the engine wouldn't even be close if it was that far off.

You were right. Guess it's just a bad optical illusion from that angle. Well it's still leaking from somewhere though. Feel better about it now, but still need to find the leak.
IMG_1181.jpg

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
looks to me like a picture angle fail... gives the impression the holes are out of whack when in reality they aren't .. as diesel_ranger there is no way the bolts would go in if indeed it was that far off .. the inserts not being there doesn't help either .. I would want to see this in person and check things out for myself rather than take the word of a salesman

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
It could be an oil cooler leak. No big deal if it's still covered under warranty, if not it's a quite a bit of work to replace. When mine leaked it looked similar and the oil is actually coming form the top, under the hood where you would change he oil filter. It is pretty common on 2014s I heard, including mine.
Here's a write up on this made by NecessaryEvil

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/42977-3-6L-Oil-Filter-Cooler-Adaptor-Housing-Replacement

Last edited:

Eroc147

It could be an oil cooler leak. No big deal if it's still covered under warranty, if not it's a quite a bit of work to replace. When mine leaked it looked similar and the oil is actually coming form the top, under the hood where you would change he oil filter. It is pretty common on 2014s I heard, including mine.
Here's a write up on this made by NecessaryEvil

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/42977-3-6L-Oil-Filter-Cooler-Adaptor-Housing-Replacement

Would that be covered by general warranty or the powertrain of it is where the leak is coming from? Jeep has 36,400 miles. So just over general.

Also, anyone have a part number for those plugs? I've been looking around and can't find them.

Frydaddy

Rear main seal leak. Not too many instances of it yet, but i'm starting to see articles about it. Judging by the new block casting design, it looks like you need to get to it from the crankshaft, which means dropping the transmission. Its not the end of the world, just check your level every now and then.

Know the leak, embrace the leak, become the leak. Its not just a leak, its a way-of-jeep. lol.

edit: I'm saying all this with the experience of the classic Inline-6 rear main seal leaks. Nearly everyone had it, no-one worried about it. And it was a fairly easy fix. I dont know about the Pentastar's, but it shouldnt be the end of the world.

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Would that be covered by general warranty or the powertrain of it is where the leak is coming from? Jeep has 36,400 miles. So just over general.

Also, anyone have a part number for those plugs? I've been looking around and can't find them.

That I don't know, it's worth calling a dealer to find out, they might or at least get a quote and tell the seller to drop the price.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I think we are still going to look at it Sat. Will call dealer to find out if it's covered/how much. And I will look for the pool of oil in the valley when we go to look at it. Thanks!

No problem, I hope that is the issue and good luck. The new oil filter/cooler should be much better. 2014 was the year when they changed to a new design I believe, so all kins should be worked out by now.

Top Bottom