My rant

Jack diddly

Tgoss, I hate you. Lol. But you helped me find some problems. I tried installing the PR44. I had to take the sensor out of my stock 44 because apparently evo cut yours out instead of disconnecting it. But I wasn't there. Maybe they had to. After installing it, I thought I was good to go but got stuck in limp mode and couldn't get out of 1st gear. Lol. Instead of screwing things up more I dropped it off at a shop. Then a small list of problems. First I was shown the jam nut on my lower control arm was set different from the one on the passenger side...apparently it was messed up during the install by evo so it can't go any further as you can see in the pic. My pretty new drive shaft was hitting my exhaust because apparently I need a spacer for the exhaust to keep it from hitting when off roading and also limiting my travel. Why wouldn't evo tell me about this so I could have paid the extra 50 bucks and not screw up my jeep. Not trying to bad mouth them. Just really surprised me cuz the reputation they have and I really enjoyed the customer service. I was treated very well there. Anywho... unfortunately, I had to leave my vehicle in California and head back home in another state. I'm having someone drop it off to me when it's done but figured if it's in the shop might as well add the spacer until I get my new exhaust, take out that electric sway bar and add an antirock. So there's a slight plus. Too bad it won't be delivered back to my house until I'm back overseas. Guess my off roading days are over for the summer. Hope everyone else is having fun though. While the jeep was in the shop I did go to the jeep bash. Seen a few wayalife badges out there. Looking pretty good. 20170710_111410.jpg 20170715_141435.jpg 20170715_141443.jpg 20170715_142512.jpg 20170715_132100.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
You should check your jam nuts often, they can move and it's your responsibility to keep them tight. Your driveshaft only appears to be rubbing a little bit, doesn't seem bad. What's wrong with your electronic disconnect?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You should check your jam nuts often, they can move and it's your responsibility to keep them tight. Your driveshaft only appears to be rubbing a little bit, doesn't seem bad. What's wrong with your electronic disconnect?

Couldn't agree with this more. NONE of this is evos fault. The jam nut being loose is your fault for not doing maintenance on it. The driveshaft hitting is normal and would be MUCH worse if you had a stock driveshaft still.

JeepJeep75

One thing you can do, if you want to do your own work on the jeep, is open up the control arm mounts on the front axle with a grinder. In your pic you can see where the mounting ear has been rubbing on the adjuster-nut on the control arm. IMG_4512.jpg IMG_4588.jpg ultimately, you are the one responsible for the state of your jeep. Jeeps need constant maintenance if you start beating them up. As far as the broken connector on the axle goes, well, the axle is pretty heavy. It probably broke off when the axle was being moved around the shop. They are heavy and awkward to move around gently. And the driveshaft hitting the exhaust is a known issue with lots of suspension droop. You must have some serious droop as mine doesn't even come close to hitting, so nothing I can suggest there... even if all you do is lay under the jeep and look at it, it's better than ignoring it until it breaks apart.

Journeyman

I'm not understanding how tgoss or evo is responsible for any of this. It's sounds like you did the work yourself and if that's the case nobody else is responsible for your vehicle and educating you on jeep parts needed except yourself. These were used parts that obviously saved you cash over new. So don't through other people under the bus for trying to save a buck and possibly being a cheap skate.

Jack diddly

I wasn't saying Tgoss was responsible. I was just messing with him. I think he's a cool guy. The jam nut wasn't loose at all. And I fully agree with the maintenance being my responsibility. But the threads were all messed up, not allowing it to move anymore. Are the control arms supposed to be adjusted to the same length? It's only been wheeled once on a trail. Nothing big. I'm just going off what the off road shop told me. Unless they're screwing with me. I've been relying on these shops to help me out as I'm newer to this stuff or I hop on here and ask newbee questions. As far as the wire being cut, it was definitely cut but like I said, I wasn't there. I'm sure there were complications. Maybe this shop is having me over react over nothing. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus by any means. My apologies if it seemed that way. Maybe I should have been more respectful and not drop the name of the shop. That was rude of me.

Jack diddly

Couldn't agree with this more. NONE of this is evos fault. The jam nut being loose is your fault for not doing maintenance on it. The driveshaft hitting is normal and would be MUCH worse if you had a stock driveshaft still.
Okay. The guy at the shop I took it to brought it up as if it's not and informed me of the exhaust spacer. Didn't know it was normal. Thank you for the update.

Jack diddly

Nothing is wrong with the sway bar. I'm just replacing it so I don't have to worry about it ever going out.

jeeeep

Hooked
I wasn't saying Tgoss was responsible. I was just messing with him. I think he's a cool guy. The jam nut wasn't loose at all. And I fully agree with the maintenance being my responsibility. But the threads were all messed up, not allowing it to move anymore. Are the control arms supposed to be adjusted to the same length? It's only been wheeled once on a trail. Nothing big. I'm just going off what the off road shop told me. Unless they're screwing with me. I've been relying on these shops to help me out as I'm newer to this stuff or I hop on here and ask newbee questions. As far as the wire being cut, it was definitely cut but like I said, I wasn't there. I'm sure there were complications. Maybe this shop is having me over react over nothing. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus by any means. My apologies if it seemed that way. Maybe I should have been more respectful and not drop the name of the shop. That was rude of me.

the control arms should be very close the same length - mine are about one rotation difference.

I can tell you from 1st hand experience the jam nut hitting the control arm mount is what loosened and messed up the threads. when articulating and that jam nut is smashing into the mount so it will loosen and then when it gets to the point where it's just jamming into the mount it does so at an angle. look at how the end of the mount is bent.

sucks you won't get your jeep back in time but if it were me I think would've just ordered a new arm heim end and nut and tried to solder the wires back together -then make sure there was enough slack in the wires and grind off a little clearance for the control arm.

Ddays

Hooked
Nothing is wrong with the sway bar. I'm just replacing it so I don't have to worry about it ever going out.

Save yourself some dough and install an EVO no limits disconnect instead of getting a whole new bar. They have the air actuated or manual versions. :twocents:

Jack diddly

Okay. Thanks for the advice guys. When the jeep gets back it will be strictly on pavement as a grocery getter. When I get back I will definitely take a look and make modifications to the mounts. Thank you again.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Skip the exhaust spacers. All they is constantly come loose and leak. To top it off all 4 bolts snapped on mine the first time I tried to tighten them up. Total PITA

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have personally seen plenty of stuff come back from various shops with great reputations with problems. I'm not about to start calling out shops by name. Ultimately the owner of the vehicle needs to keep in mind that these shops employ humans, they are doing custom work, and shit happens. On top of that shit loosens with time and an off-road vehicle will require far more driver inspection and maintenance than a typical highway vehicle.

kawimoto

I have personally seen plenty of stuff come back from various shops with great reputations with problems. I'm not about to start calling out shops by name. Ultimately the owner of the vehicle needs to keep in mind that these shops employ humans, they are doing custom work, and shit happens. On top of that shit loosens with time and an off-road vehicle will require far more driver inspection and maintenance than a typical highway vehicle.

^^^^ this and then more this. these vehicles require constant inspections. especially if driven hard. also do not assume that because its a shop that they know what they are talking about. Some will feed more bs than others but at the end of the day they ALL need to make their living selling parts and modding your vehicle. It's your job to do the research and really find out what parts fit the bill for your needs, and I don't mean read the brochures for companies because they all claim to have the best. that's what makes this forum so valuable, you have access to thousands of peoples experiences with different setups and parts. real world usage and opinions. you also have to not get complacent on the maintenance of your rig, even the best parts on the market can and will need servicing, be it routine preventative o&m or straight up trail damage repairs

Last edited:
Top Bottom