2017 JK Stability Control Help

TXJeepGuy

I have read every article I can on centering the steering wheel and getting the Stability Control Light to go away but either I can not find dead center or something is different in 2017. So I am very sorry if this has been answered already. I read the write up here on alignment and have tried close to 50 times to micro adjust a steering wheel that already looks perfectly centered and the Stability Control light still comes back on. Here is the procedure I am using:

1. Clear DTC's with FlashCal
2. Adjust the drag link in 1/8" increments in the direction I think it might be off
3. Start jeep and turn the steering wheel Full right, No light
4. Turn the steering wheel full left and get the light about one full turn in.
5. repeat.
It lights up without even driving the Jeep so I really don't think it has anything to do with the ABS system as has been suggested. It stays on after the first time I turn full Left until I use the FlashCAl to clear DTC's

2017 sahara, just installed 3" Teraflex lift 4.56 gears and 35" tires. Computer has been updated with gears and tire size. Had an alignment done, all really pretty straight. Just the damn Stability Control

The alignment shop keeps saying they are dead on on all components.

Appreciate any feedback.

J

JKDream

Would the light come on for that Code if I am not even driving after clearing the codes.

code is:
C1240 Steering Angle Sensor Angle Overtravel Performance

Yes, sounds like you broke a sensor.
If you unplug it for example the code comes on immediately after starting the vehicle.
Check behind the shock mount on the frame side and there's the harness for the sensor.
See if maybe it pulled out and/or broke.

TXJeepGuy

Yes, sounds like you broke a sensor.
If you unplug it for example the code comes on immediately after starting the vehicle.
Check behind the shock mount on the frame side and there's the harness for the sensor.
See if maybe it pulled out and/or broke.

Thanks.
I checked both sides and they look, and feel like they are in good condition. (hard as hell to get to BTW) Maybe I need to give up and go to the dealership. I'm at a loss.

TXJeepGuy

I'm on fourth set of speed sensor for the front. They're cheap and visually they've always looked fine. I would do this before I brought it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Is there any indicator which wheel the broken sensor is on? Since I get the code turning left does that mean it is on the left side?

Judesign

Caught the Bug
If you can get access to a scan tool you can figure out which part is causing the problem. There is a steering angle sensor inside the steering column. If it fails it will make the traction control come on. With a scan tool you can see what the sensor is reading while turning the wheel. I guess since you have a 2017 I would take it in to the dealer as that should be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TXJeepGuy

UPDATE:
I appreciate all the feed back guys. Ended up taking it to the dealer and it was indeed a Clock Spring in the steering wheel. Prob solved.

Till next question

Top Bottom