Might have twisted my sector shaft?

aermotor

Was out this weekend and heard a very odd sound while coming down an incline with loose boulders. At first I thought it was tire rubbing on the pinch seam, sort of a quick ratcheting of sound, then I immediately noticed my steering was off by about 60º — could I have twisted my sector shaft? My draglink appears to be fine with the jam nuts in place and unmoved. I doubt the pitman arm splines could have skipped around.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Check track bar ends and brackets for breaks. If you have someone turn the wheel, do you see anything abnormal where the box meets the pitman arm?

BaddestCross

Was out this weekend and heard a very odd sound while coming down an incline with loose boulders. At first I thought it was tire rubbing on the pinch seam, sort of a quick ratcheting of sound, then I immediately noticed my steering was off by about 60º — could I have twisted my sector shaft? My draglink appears to be fine with the jamb nuts in place and unmoved. I doubt the pitman arm splines could have skipped around.
The sound could've also been the threads on the turnbuckle of the steering adjustment skipping.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

Check track bar ends and brackets for breaks. If you have someone turn the wheel, do you see anything abnormal where the box meets the pitman arm?

I will check but believe them to be fine as after I re-adjusted my draglink it has been fine.

The sound could've also been the threads on the turnbuckle of the steering adjustment skipping.

I guess it's possible, but as I said I checked the threads and jam nuts and no new thread seemed to be showing, but it did sound something like that perhaps. I'm using the Synergy draglink.

WJCO

Meme King
I will check but believe them to be fine as after I re-adjusted my draglink it has been fine.

I guess it's possible, but as I said I checked the threads and jam nuts and no new thread seemed to be showing, but it did sound something like that perhaps. I'm using the Synergy draglink.

So the problem was solved/fixed after you adjusted the drag link? Strange. Being that you have the Synergy one, I guess just make sure that pinch nut on the RF knuckle area is tight and not moving.

aermotor

Yea, I was able to adjust it and fix it. The pinch bolt was extremely tight and had not moved at all.

I'll pull the pitman arm this weekend and check out the sector shaft splines, figured I'd ask anyway and see as it was odd.

J

JKDream

How far adjusted out do you have the drag link? My friend had his a bit too far so it wouldn't clamp the tie rod end hard enough. It ended up pulling the threads apart at the axle end and shearing off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

I just checked my trackbar frame bracket and all the welds look good and complete and nothing deformed... and the PR44 axle side is good.

I also drove another 15 hard mikes of trail after and it was fine. So that's why I was thinking it could be twisted shaft.

Last edited:

aTX427

I had a Synergy brace on mine that was doing all the work until it ultimately failed. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but have a new bracket on the way that I will weld into place. Have someone crank the wheel 90* back and forth while to put your hand on the steering components and feel for something abnormal. I purchased and swapped out my steering box for nothing, because I missed it the first few times I checked. Drove me nuts for a week or two.

Attachments

• IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 84

aermotor

Had a friend turn the wheel while I was underneath inspecting it, and I couldn't find anything of note... trackbar and brackets are all solid. No wiggle or movement. Everything is solid, but something slipped.

Only thing I can think of is that it was the sector shaft, will have to get it apart and see if the teeth slipped on the pitman arm or not.

boardsurfer

Had a friend turn the wheel while I was underneath inspecting it, and I couldn't find anything of note... trackbar and brackets are all solid. No wiggle or movement. Everything is solid, but something slipped.

Only thing I can think of is that it was the sector shaft, will have to get it apart and see if the teeth slipped on the pitman arm or not.

Hey Aermotor, what was your final solution here? I am in the same predicament.

Top Bottom