Grinding noise under 10mph

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I'm noticing what sounds like metal on metal grinding noise when I'm under 10mph. Doesn't matter if I'm coasting, braking, or accelerating. It goes away after I go above 10mph. Anyone experience anything close to this before? Anything different I have done lately is change to 17 rims and 35 nitto trail grapplers from 35 atturo trail blazers. The sound makes me think it's coming from the front. I'm sitting at 96k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Chock the wheels, jack up each wheel, put jeep in neutral, and spin tires by hand. See if something is rubbing somewhere. Could be a bad wheel bearing, something stuck in brakes, etc.

Andy5160

Hooked
As state do the wheels check up , since you did upgrade the wheels this is sheer I would start to look .

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Jumped under the front. Lifted tires and turned them and no noise. I did notice my steering stabilizer bracket on one side was slanted. Corrected that and as of right now the noise has greatly decreased. I still hear a little metal noise when I come to a complete stop and then when I first hit the gas. It's almost as though something needs some oil or grease. My only mechanic knowledge at this point is changing fluids. I'm thinking it's nothing serious but just wanted to hear if anyone else has this type of noise.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I also noticed this was a loose piece of metal. Not sure what it is or does. It's on the end of the bolt at the bottom of the picture. zcamera-20170813_104917.jpg

Jeepfan30

Sounds similar to when my front pinion bearing needed replacing. It was a faint growling I could only hear below 10mph, didn't matter if coasting, under load, or turning.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sounds similar to when my front pinion bearing needed replacing. It was a faint growling I could only hear below 10mph, didn't matter if coasting, under load, or turning.

I would guess pinion bearing as well. Or CV joint on the factory driveshaft if they are still being run.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I'm regearing in a couple months. Think it's okay to hold out or should I fix it asap?

If it really is something like a pinion bearing going bad, it'll most likely make you regear a lot sooner than 2 months and only after leaving you on the side of the road after it fries in your diff.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
You guys were right. Regeared and the noise is now gone. The noise was getting really bad and I doubt I could have made it any longer. Thanks again for the advice.

Top Bottom