DIY 3.6L Air Intake (Crossover tube replacement w flat panel filter) $30

theNomad

Did a cheap intake crossover resonator delete on my '12 JKU.
Thought some might like to read about it.

After researching and reading a lot of the experiences and opinions swirling around Cold Air Intakes I decided to try my own DIY method for a Crossover Tube Intake modification.

I see a lot of intake naysayers balking at why someone would spend money on a modification that only increases intake growl... and in the next post they brag about their 5" lift and 300 lb of armor for "on-roading"...

Most of what is said about "Cold Air Intakes" for Jeep Wranglers falls into two categories:

Arguments for Intake: straight air path to throttle body, free flowing air filter, larger smoother air flow, increase in sound, small MPG and HP/TQ bumps.

Arguments against Intake: Danger of water ingestion / hydrolock, filters let in more particulate, draws in hot underhood air, metal tube heat-soak, eliminates Helmholtz resonators which may help low-rpm HP/TQ .

I'll just show my DIY choice for more intake growl and anything else it gives is a bonus.
It's similar in structure to the Air Raid system sold for $325 which has a smooth crossover tube and a full airbox.

My setup cost $31! At less than 10% cost I'd say its a decent bang for buck.

My reasoning for the Crossover Intake Mod
Inexpensive, increased intake growl, smooth consistent air flow from box to throttle plate, eliminates accordian intake bends, eliminates resonators, eliminates pinched stock tube, thermal insulated crossover tube, retains stock flat filter, stock airbox can still be used for snorkle, stock water protection from intake box, and lastly possible mpg horsepower and torque increase.
But most of all I just enjoy messing with the Jeep!

Materials List:
1 - 3" silicon 90* elbow $7
1 - 3.5" to 3" silicon reducer coupler $7
1 - 3" diameter aluminum pipe $10
4 - 3" hose clamps - reuse and $5
(optional - Heat shield material - $12)
1 - Rubber grommet $2
2 - Zip ties $0.10

Install is a simple matter of:

Remove stock crossover tube and IAT sensor.
Notice the diameter of the tube pinches down from 3" to approx 2" to force air into the resonator chambers.
Trim elbow approx 1" off length to change angle of end since 90* is too far of an angle as the throttle body is not perpendicular.
Install elbow and coupler
20170725_104638.jpg
Cut tube to 10" length
Drill 3/4" hole on throttle body end of tube.
20170725_112250.jpg
Insert Rubber Grommet and IAT sensor.
Install tube, hose clamp nice and securely and connect sensor wire.
Zip tie radiator overflow tube to keep it from moving.

Optional:
Wrap the pipe with heat shielding to reduce heat soak and allow the air to stay cooler. I chose an adhesive backed sheet that I can wrap around the tube easily.
The air flowing inside will cool the pipe at speed and the insulation will stabilize and prevent heat transfer during stops. It should be a better thermal setup than the stock thin wall plastic tube.

Conclusion: So far so good. Slightly louder at wide open throttle, no drone at highway speeds, Stock Mopar filter and intake location, will see about MPG.

Attachments

• 20170715_110408.jpg
    20170715_110408.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 20170715_110845.jpg
    20170715_110845.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20170725_113657.jpg
    20170725_113657.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Frydaddy

That's a pretty clean looking mod! Be sure to keep us updated on how it affects performance.

Some of the purists will say removing the resonator tubes is a risky move, but i haven't seen any numbers yet, only hearsay.

I t sure would be nice to clean up the cluttered engine bay! (like what the hellis going on with the AC and vacuum tubes!? just follow them someday.)

Top Bottom