Tools for LCA adjustment

feederic

What tools (besides wrenches) are needed to adjust LCAs? I've been reading the JK alignment that adjusts UCAs and wonder if I could adjust LCAs while on a driveway. My only concern is how to get the LCA bolt back in once lengthened - could I just use a floor jack to reposition the axle to align back up with a longer control arm?

J

JKDream

What tools (besides wrenches) are needed to adjust LCAs? I've been reading the JK alignment that adjusts UCAs and wonder if I could adjust LCAs while on a driveway. My only concern is how to get the LCA bolt back in once lengthened - could I just use a floor jack to reposition the axle to align back up with a longer control arm?
You'll need an angle finder to properly set the caster and pinion angle. You can use either a floor jack or ratchet straps to put the axle back in position for the bolts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
Floor jack works well for twisting axle to where you want the arms. A hammer and prybar are all I use, especially a pointed one.

54213.jpg

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Floor jack works well for twisting axle to where you want the arms. A hammer and prybar are all I use, especially a pointed one.

View attachment 270040

^^^^ this is the key, pointed pry bar. I don't jack the jeep up or anything. Just do one side at a time and use the pointed end of the bar to get the hole lined up. The smaller the adjustments you make, the easier it will be to get the bolt through.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

feederic

I do have a few digital angle finders at my disposal. So a floor jack on the axle or tie rod plus a pry bar and I should be ok getting things to bolt up?

I appreciate the help - I'm mentally prepping for installing a lift.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I do have a few digital angle finders at my disposal. So a floor jack on the axle or tie rod plus a pry bar and I should be ok getting things to bolt up?

You shouldn't need the jack but it'd be good to have. Great you have an angle finder but if you have problems, you can get an app for your smartphone as well. Besides that, wrenches, torque wrench and pry bar is it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Yep. I prefer the ratchet straps personally because I find it easier to move the axle a bit more precisely.
Any of the above options work just fine. Be sure to have a torque wrench handy!

pbeabout

Floor jack and ratchet straps do work well. The pry bar with the tapered end is a good addition for any fine tuning. I have a long tapered punch I use to align the hole after it is close with the straps and jack.

Top Bottom