Hydro Assist Setups

J

JKDream

Finally time I make the switch to a better steering setup since I'm constantly getting bound up on the rocks and having to hop tires to turn. I was looking at some of the PSC kits and they're really nice, but a bit more than I wanted to spend. I was thinking of piecing together a kit with a PSC 1.5" Ram, filter and cooler setup, but drilling my own box as I picked up a reman unit for $200. Have any of you drilled the stock boxes? It seems pretty straight forward. Any horror stories? I believe the stock pump is good up to that ram size. Beyond fittings anything I'm missing?

**I was also reading that the box or ram has its own steering stops to prevent over extension of the ram. First I've heard of this. Assuming the stock steering stops aren't strong enough?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

rockwell

Finally time I make the switch to a better steering setup since I'm constantly getting bound up on the rocks and having to hop tires to turn. I was looking at some of the PSC kits and they're really nice, but a bit more than I wanted to spend. I was thinking of piecing together a kit with a PSC 1.5" Ram, filter and cooler setup, but drilling my own box as I picked up a reman unit for $200. Have any of you drilled the stock boxes? It seems pretty straight forward. Any horror stories? I believe the stock pump is good up to that ram size. Beyond fittings anything I'm missing?

**I was also reading that the box or ram has its own steering stops to prevent over extension of the ram. First I've heard of this. Assuming the stock steering stops aren't strong enough?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I ported mine, pretty strait forward.

Exodus 4x4

You should measure the amount of travel your tie rod has before throwing any 1.5" ram on it. It's probably around 6" but it's best to make sure. If your ram is too long for what you have you can take it apart and shim it to match.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

You should measure the amount of travel your tie rod has before throwing any 1.5" ram on it. It's probably around 6" but it's best to make sure. If your ram is too long for what you have you can take it apart and shim it to match.

Yeah I already did a couple of checks. It looks like a 1.5x6.75 would be the best fit.
I'm wondering about those steering stops though. Assuming PSC does something internally to bind up the box essentially?

Exodus 4x4

Yeah I already did a couple of checks. It looks like a 1.5x6.75 would be the best fit.
I'm wondering about those steering stops though. Assuming PSC does something internally to bind up the box essentially?

No, steering boxes do not have stops built in. Your ram will travel as far as the steering stops on your knuckles will allow it to. If your ram has more travel than your tie rod does, it could continue to push the tie rod and possibly bend it.

J

JKDream

No, steering boxes do not have stops built in. Your ram will travel as far as the steering stops on your knuckles will allow it to. If your ram has more travel than your tie rod does, it could continue to push the tie rod and possibly bend it.

Ah that makes sense. That's kind of what I figured.
I read a thread that was warning people not to go past full lock, I suppose for that reason. Those were also 8+ inch rams.
I just ordered up the ram, cooler, etc. Probably drilling the box this weekend, if so I'll post up some photos for future reference.
Found an old template on PSC's website that shows you where to drill.

Exodus 4x4

Ah that makes sense. That's kind of what I figured.
I read a thread that was warning people not to go past full lock, I suppose for that reason. Those were also 8+ inch rams.
I just ordered up the ram, cooler, etc. Probably drilling the box this weekend, if so I'll post up some photos for future reference.
Found an old template on PSC's website that shows you where to drill.

You really don't need a cooler, but a lot of people run them. Personally I would just save the money and effort.

J

JKDream

You really don't need a cooler, but a lot of people run them. Personally I would just save the money and effort.

I mostly did it just to increase the volume of fluid in the system.
I won't be running PSC's pump, so it should help.
Didn't really want a twitchy setup, and that's what I've heard you get with the pump and a 1.75" ram.

Ddays

Hooked
Personally I would just save the money and effort.

^^ This. I have a cooler but have not installed it yet. My experience so far has been in really hot weather the hydro will cause the pump to whine quite a bit. This happened in 105* weather in Moab last year.
BUT, that is the only time I've had mine overheat. Still on my workbench because of that.

J

JKDream

^^ This. I have a cooler but have not installed it yet. My experience so far has been in really hot weather the hydro will cause the pump to whine quite a bit. This happened in 105* weather in Moab last year.
BUT, that is the only time I've had mine overheat. Still on my workbench because of that.

Good to know. It doesn't get anywhere near that hot here, we max out at probably 85 on a record day.
It wasn't too much so I'll probably set it up without it for simplicity sake and see how it goes.
I'm pretty stoked though, driving without it really sucked.

rockwell

Make sure you completely disassemble the box. Some of the YouTube videos show them just blowing air or using grease to capture the shavings. There were a ton of shavings, I don't see how that could possibly get them all. Once you tap both holes you are going to have to grind down the tap to make it's bottoming tap so you can tap the uppermost hole a little more, you'll see what I mean after you drill the holes.

Exodus 4x4

I'll also add that hydro assist have a tendency to leak and require a constant inspection, especially at the ram. The less you install with it, the less you have to worry about leaking.

As far as the gear box goes I would just send it to West Texas Off Road (Redneck Ram) and have them send you one back that's already been rebuilt and ported.

srbell0585

I'll also add that hydro assist have a tendency to leak and require a constant inspection, especially at the ram. The less you install with it, the less you have to worry about leaking.

As far as the gear box goes I would just send it to West Texas Off Road (Redneck Ram) and have them send you one back that's already been rebuilt and ported.

Just fyi, West Texas off road has no rebuilt boxes to swap out...they are weeks out on rebuilding and sending back.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

This is what I've been considering, or there's a place in Phoenix that I've heard does it right (takes it apart, ports and taps it, cleans it, puts it back together) for about $180. Which is the same as redneck ram but shipping will get you with them

J

JKDream

I originally looked into that but being in Canada the shipping fees are pretty outrageous.
It's quite a bit cheaper to buy an entirely new steering box and drill it here.
Then again, it evens out if I drill it incorrectly and basically kill the box haha.

Casey_250

I run a west texas one. It was $90 cdn each way shipping the steering box for anyone up here in the north considering it. They were great to deal with. I have a ported box and 1.5" ram on 37s. I love it so far. It isn't so much force that it feels like nothing is there but you forget its there when on the trail and aired down as its assisting just enough to hold lines and making turns. It feels as if I didn't have big tires with low air in them. On the road its great, solid on the highway, a couple fingers on the wheel and can cruise around at 100-110km/h with no worries.

Sent from my SM-G950W using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

dalearyous

i just ordered WTO's kit (ported box and ram + hoses and fittings). if you have a 2012+ and a healthy pump there is no reason their kit shouldn't do the job well. no cooling required (even on daily driven rigs in texas heat).

i was also advised to use the 1.5" x (whatever your stroke distance is) ram to avoid steering lag. the owner of WTO did state they are about a week out from shipping a ported box (i opted to pay the core charge and get reimbursed since mine is a DD).

Last edited:

kawimoto

i just ordered WTO's kit (ported box and ram + hoses and fittings). if you have a 2012+ and a healthy pump there is no reason their kit shouldn't do the job well. no cooling required (even on daily driven rigs in texas heat).

i was also advised to use the 1.5" x (whatever your stroke distance is) ram to avoid steering lag. the owner of WTO did state they are about a week out from shipping a ported box (i opted to pay the core charge and get reimbursed since mine is a DD).

about to go this same route! what'd it run you if you don't mind me asking? I know shipping will vary but still going to be close.

The Cock Father

about to go this same route! what'd it run you if you don't mind me asking? I know shipping will vary but still going to be close.

Please, please, please provide any and all feedback. I've been looking at WTO and PSC. I understand PSC has a great kit, but really trying to determine if it is worth the extra coin. A lot of extra coin!!!

Exodus 4x4

Please, please, please provide any and all feedback. I've been looking at WTO and PSC. I understand PSC has a great kit, but really trying to determine if it is worth the extra coin. A lot of extra coin!!!

I've run their setup and it worked great for me. Last time I was out was on 37's and some real sticky granite. Not once was steering an issue where it had been before.

Top Bottom