Cost Differential 40s vs 37s!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'll starting the bid at $13.5k, from a stock jeep, I would think it would cost $13.5k MORE to run a 40" tire compared to the cost it takes to run a 37" tire.

J

JKDream

I'll starting the bid at $13.5k, from a stock jeep, I would think it would cost $13.5k MORE to run a 40" tire compared to the cost it takes to run a 37" tire.

Pretty good estimate, the cost delta mostly stems from the axles.
Suspension setups can be the same on 40's or 37's.
You guys in the US are lucky lol Those some axle packages are close to 20k with our shit dollar :crazyeyes:

GraniteCrystal

I dunno. I hear guys put 40s on Dana 30s all the time. :)

Seriously though, it depends on your 37s setup. Long term, I want to have 37s on PR60/60 geared in 5.13. With that setup and my existing 3.5" lift, I think I'd only need to make more cuts to fit the 40s. So it depends on how much you build up for 37s.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Wow, are we taking the difference between the axle set needed and cost of tires? What else would be different. I was assuming you'd need the 44/60 for 37s and 60/FF60 for 40s... or are you assuming basic D44 axle reinforcement (gussets/axle shafts)?

Edit: comment was geared towards Dwiggles comment.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
J

JKDream

Wow, are we taking the difference between the axle set needed and cost of tires? What else would be different. I was assuming you'd need the 44/60 for 37s and 60/FF60 for 40s... or are you assuming basic D44 axle reinforcement (gussets/axle shafts)?

You don't NEED the PR60 rear for 37's. I would say a PR44 is a need though. I demo'd my braced housing super quick.
Rear hasn't taken much damage beside the flanges.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Pretty good estimate, the cost delta mostly stems from the axles.
Suspension setups can be the same on 40's or 37's.
You guys in the US are lucky lol Those some axle packages are close to 20k with our shit dollar :crazyeyes:

Are you thinking reinforced stock axle for 37 and all new axles for 40s!

Ddays

Hooked

Edit: comment was geared towards Dwiggles comment.

You'll need to take steering upgrades into account as well, especially for 40's. XD box or hydro setup.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
You don't NEED the PR60 rear for 37's. I would say a PR44 is a need though. I demo'd my braced housing super quick.
Rear hasn't taken much damage beside the flanges.

Ok, I see what your saying. Seems like if you buy the PR44 front housing, your still looking 8k. housing ~2500, regearing ~2000, big brake front and rear ~1000, axle shafts front and rear ~1500, and ball joints ~500. Might as well go 44/60.

Last edited:
J

JKDream

Are you thinking reinforced stock axle for 37 and all new axles for 40s!

I would suggest a new front axle for 37's, and front and rear axles for 40's.

You'll need to take steering upgrades into account as well, especially for 40's. XD box or hydro setup.

This is a good point, I would definitely look at an upgrade for either tire. My steering gets manhandled without hydro on 37's.

Ok, I see what your saying. Seems like if you buy the PR44 front housing, your still looking 8k, housing ~2500, rehearing ~2000, big brake front and rear ~1000, axle shafts front and rear ~1500, and ball joints ~500.

Yes, it depends what you started with though. I had a rubi front so I just bought a new housing and recycled the e-lockers and shafts.
Rear is stock besides a locker. Total for me for the housing and Prosteers was about $5,000 with gear labour. That's a pretty high number for what I got but it's just due to our dollar.

A lot of the things you need or want for 40's are the same thing you would get on 37's.
Beadlock Wheels for example, those are a want, not a need to run 40's. Same thing with 37's.

Last edited by a moderator:

mastrcruse

Well depends on if you want to do it right. I am going down the 40's path now and it sure as hell isn't just axles. 37's are safer to assume a dana 44/prorock 44 can handle.

Axles: 13-20k
Wheels: 2-3k
Tires: 2-3k
Steering: 2k
Misc. 1-2k

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Axles, BRAKES, steering, compressor (if you have air lockers for the 60s)

If you go with 37s, I'ed say a pr44, progrips, and a regear at a MINIMUM. But I still believe the cost difference from 37-40 is going to be right around $13k. If you are already running 37s, spend 13k on needed upgrades and run 40s; if your jeep is stock, Purchase all basic mods, then spend the 13k specific for 40"s...

the 37s can be had MUCH cheaper depending on your use and expectations. Hell, some people run 37s on stock D44s (I did for almost 20k miles) so REALLY, to run a 37 tire RESPONSIBLY you just need BJs, and brakes, on top of everything else. a regear will be on the short list, along with steering if you wheel the jeep at all. But ULTIMATELY you want that pr44 too :thumb:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

........ How So Den?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
Depends how bling bling you wanna go. Assuming suspension is done and doesn't count and will work with both setups, could be up to 35k difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

35k more? I don't know how it could be that much, unless you think a LS is needed.

SDG said could be up to $35k.... And he's not kidding:

Axles: 14k w/ driveshafts
Wheels: $2.5k
Tires: $2.5k
Long arms: $2.5k
DTD/Evolever: $10k
Hydro Assist: $3k
Labor: $10k

It adds up quick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom