what rear upper shock mounts to run with Rockstar skids??

kawimoto

Alright guys, I've searched and searched and can find nothing on a rear upper solution for shock mounts... the synergys make for a bound up setup according to my web search when paired with evo rockstars. anyone running rockstars have any input on what they run? pics? I'm running fox 4-6'' shocks with 4'' coilsprings and about 3'' of bump. I'd love to not have to add any bump and like to entertain the idea of regaining my lost up travel, but before I pull the trigger on anything hoping to get some advise from those who have already tackled this?

Journeyman

I'm not following you. I didn't change anything on the top side. I just cycled the suspension to make sure at full bump I wasn't bottomed out on the shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

kawimoto

that's my issue. measuring the difference between the bump and how much shock shaft I have exposed ill be short 3/4''. as im set up now ill bottom out the shock if I install the rockstars. I understand the geometry fine, just curious if anyone else is currently running an upper relo mount that works well with the rockstars?

Journeyman

that's my issue. measuring the difference between the bump and how much shock shaft I have exposed ill be short 3/4''. as im set up now ill bottom out the shock if I install the rockstars[/

What's the point then. If you have to raise the upper mount to install them. All you'll be gaining is the ground clearance of the rock star, but your setup will suffer ever where else. More bump or ultimately a shorter shock with less droop.
I installed mine because I had the addition up stoke not being used.

kawimoto

If I move the upper mount up like the tell brackets do I regain the " lost" up-travel. Same shocks utilized with same travel but more ground clearance. And I might add a regularly hit/vulnerable spot

kawimoto

I won't need more bump once the upper mount is moved. I have plenty of clearance between tub/fender and tire. I just don't want to over compress the shock

Journeyman

If I move the upper mount up like the tell brackets do I regain the " lost" up-travel. Same shocks utilized with same travel but more ground clearance. And I might add a regularly hit/vulnerable spot

And if you extended your bump you would have more droop.
If I had not had the extra up stroke I wouldn't have installed mine. I never got hung up on the stock location and the were definitely chewed up when I sold that axle, but it was still definitely doing its job.

quertyman

I understand exactly what you are saying with the loss in up travel here. I just got slightly too long of shocks for my bump stops and had to put on taller bumpstops. A higher upper shock mount would give me back that lost travel.

Is there no coilover setup from a company that includes a higher upper rear shock mount?

J

JKDream

Alright guys, I've searched and searched and can find nothing on a rear upper solution for shock mounts... the synergys make for a bound up setup according to my web search when paired with evo rockstars. anyone running rockstars have any input on what they run? pics? I'm running fox 4-6'' shocks with 4'' coilsprings and about 3'' of bump. I'd love to not have to add any bump and like to entertain the idea of regaining my lost up travel, but before I pull the trigger on anything hoping to get some advise from those who have already tackled this?
Are you running high steer? If so - you need those bump stops regardless. I have the same shock spring set up as you, and I still have quite a bit of usable uptravel.

** Just re read the post. Assuming you are only talking about the rear?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
There is no upper relocation that I know of. Even the evo bolt on coilover kit doesn't use an upper relocation. All they use is a strengthening bracket.

Ddays

Hooked
:thinking: Am I missing something before morning coffee is done? If you raise the shock mount but then add more bump, how are you gaining the lost up-travel back?

Edit: wouldn't a raised upper shock mount make it a gigantic PITA to install the rear shocks? It'd be even worse thanthe fronts.

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug

I won't need more bump once the upper mount is moved. I have plenty of clearance between tub/fender and tire. I just don't want to over compress the shock

What you would lose in up travel by adding more bumpstomp on one side will be gained in down travel in the other due to the raised axle mount of the shock. The only other issue you may run into is unseating coils because you have more down travel in the rear.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Must be missing something. I've read hundred (thousands?) of Jeep suspension posts over the past few years now. I don't recall anyone else have a shock that's too long, needing to relocate the upper mount.

The obvious question I'm missing is, What are you attempting to achieve that demands you use a shock too long, that you cannot just get a shorter shock? At the end of the day, is the extra inch of droop this might deliver (lost if you hike its mount point) really going to improve your off-road ability?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I recently did Rockstars on my jeep. At full droop my coils get really loose. The driver side drops down about a half inch. I will just add some JKS spring retainers on the axle side to prevent the coils from tipping. I've also been told to not even worry about it.

Edit: in case I didn't make it clear, my shocks are a bit too long now.

Last edited:

thombull

The bottom of the coil should have a big washer type of device holding it to the axle so that it stays in place. The upper part of the coil rides on the rubber round stock spacer that has a peg in the middle of it. That peg is there for a reason. It help keep the coil located on the upper mount. With the amount of space you are talking about, you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom