Trans cooler cold to touch?

ESBdurango

Hey there, this is my first post on the forum. I used the search tool, and could not find info on the subject.

Anyways, I installed a trans cooler after throwing the trans temp code a month ago, and have had great results from the cooler so far. I find myself touching the cooler line when I turn off the car to get a general concept of the feeling of the operating temp of the trans. While driving up a Jeep trail to Kennebec Pass today close to where I live in Colorado, we stopped to get out and check out the scenery and I felt the trans cooler and it was cool to the touch. This was after driving up a Jeep trail for about 40 min, so it seemed very odd. I then got under and felt the sump pan to see if it was overly hot, which is was not, but was definitely warm, not cool like the aux trans cooler. It was a cool 55° up there and wet/rainy, but I would have thought the trans and cooler would be at operating temps in the mid 100° range.

To now summarize my question: does the factory trans temp sensor turn on and off the trans pump like a coolant thermostat for the engine? If that is the case, that would explain the dramatic difference in ambient temps of the cooler and the sump pan. If that is not the case, do I have a failing trans pump? I did not throw any codes from the drive today.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TRLJNKY

I havnt actually touched my cooler lines but I run the torque app often. My cooler keeps me at around 160 most of the time. If Im standing still or crawling ive seen it climb to about 180. Im always getting a reading from start up to shut down. As for your issue? Im not sure. Id imagine if you were having pump issues it would effect more than your temp.

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

WJCO

Meme King
I'm confused. First of all, your trans pump turns all the time. It's mechanically engaged all the time. As far as touching the trans cooler, I've never done that, however, on my WRX with a front mount intercooler for the turbo, I did touch that and the inlet would burn your hand, but the outlet about two feet away felt like a freezer.

Top Bottom