Evo hd sway bar links install question

tharb5111

Received my HD links today from Northridge 4x4. No instructions. Could find nothing on evo website either. Mounting them in rear.

Do the links mount outboard or inboard? Appears to mount best outboard but I worry they may rub tire. Inboard looks as if they may hit frame or brake lines.

Also they came with 4 washers. I assume these couple with the nuts side of the bolts?

Pics of these mounted on the rear of someones jK would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Update! NEED torque specs!!!! Strripped these out!! Evo instructions say 80 foot pounds. Don't do it! That is for grade 8 bolts which these are not! these appear to be grade 5. Correct me if I'm wrong! Need advise. Replacements in route!

Last edited:

aermotor

They mount outboard on the rear with the nuts on the inside with a washer.

A quick Google Image search should reveal enough. I know these are with a DTD but shouldn't matter I don't think. Running mine on the outside.

main.php

main.php

Last edited:

tharb5111

They mount outboard on the rear with the nuts on the inside with a washer.

A quick Google Image search should reveal enough. I know these are with a DTD but shouldn't matter I don't think. Running mine on the outside.

main.php

main.php
[/QUOTE

Easy enough. Thank you, Aermotor

JAGS

Hooked
^ yes, they should run like this also with stock rear swaybar. Make sure to measure eye to eye for your correct lift height.

If you are running your brake lines on the outside, you may want to consider re-routing so as to not snag when flexing.

tharb5111

^ yes, they should run like this also with stock rear swaybar. Make sure to measure eye to eye for your correct lift height.

If you are running your brake lines on the outside, you may want to consider re-routing so as to not snag when flexing.

thanks man

tharb5111

Bolts stripped!

Anyone know correct bolt torque for these? Instruction say 80 foot pounds.

Jeep Stock says 80 for top. 70 for lower.

my lower evo nut and bolt stripped out at 70 foot pounds!!!!!! Had to use cut off wheel to remove. put in warrenty request with EVO just now.

Northridge 4x4 doesn't carry just the joint and nut. so I'm screwed.

Northridge is overnighting me a new set so I can get my jeep back in action.

What torque foot pounds are you guys setting for these? 70 seems too much even though evo instructions say 80. hmmmm. any help or advice? is this a known issue with there grade 5 hardware?

Guys at Northridge 4x4 said its grade 5 and should not be torqued past 60 or 65 pounds (cant recall which he told me). this runs opposite what evos instructions claim.

thanks.

JAGS

Hooked
As I recall, I torqued mine to factory spec and didn't have any issues at the time.

Maybe call EVO MFG (not ORE) just to confirm.

tharb5111

Bolts stripped!

You just stripped it out...? Yikes. Go until it's tight...

Ya that's what I thought originally. then I got all technical. started researching and saw evo says 80 foot pounds on grade five hardware??? hmmm. called Northridge and there guy said 60 to 65 foot pounds on those bolts since they are grade 5. then I look up my jeep jk mopar lift kit instructions and they call for stock spec torque at 80 upper 70 lower (but I assume stock uses grade 8 hardware??) very vaque and confusing. So for some stupid reason I go with what Mopar jeep specs call for and go 70 lower. Stripped spin spin cuss cuss to cut off wheel to here chating with you and I'm all frustrated and pissed and heated up.

Now I find out Evo will warrenty but they will not overnight to me. I even offered to pay for shipping. no response. Now I'm stuck. So I call Northridge and order new set with overnight delivery and Northridge is overnighting them for free. at least I have lots of spare joints now I guess. either way I tightened all the others to 65 foot pounds. scared to go any tighter.

I wish someone would chime in with a definite answer though. Id like to know if 65 foot pounds is sufficient. just hung up on technicalities I guess. lol that's what got me in trouble in the first place you know?

bolt depot recommends:
Size Recommended Torque Grade 5 Coarse fine
1/2" foot pounds 57 64

Last edited:

aermotor

Yea that sucks. To me, hard hand tight with wrenches or sockets is good enough. Bolts should be checked regularly across your entire rig as well. That's not saying don't torque to spec, I am talking about these bolts right now.

Ddays

Hooked
I wish someone would chime in with a definite answer though.

Did you try calling EVO direct & ask them if the specs are correct on the instructions? Not callin' you out or anything but why not pick up the phone & call them directly? Emails and forums are awesome for info
but if you still have a question pick up the phone & call. :thumb:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Yea that sucks. To me, hard hand tight with wrenches or sockets is good enough. Bolts should be checked regularly across your entire rig as well. That's not saying don't torque to spec, I am talking about these bolts right now.

That's what I did for my EVO links, for what it does it's tight enough. If you have quick disconnects let's say, there really isn't any torque spec, it's all loose

tharb5111

Did you try calling EVO direct & ask them if the specs are correct on the instructions? Not callin' you out or anything but why not pick up the phone & call them directly? Emails and forums are awesome for info
but if you still have a question pick up the phone & call. :thumb:

yes I emailed evo mfg about it when I put in my warrenty request. no reply from them yet. if they don't reply I will call them for sure before I reinstall if I do not get a response from them.

DMF

Like VeruGE*144 said. I use to have JKS Quick Connects and they were just held on with cotter pins. Now I have the EVO End Links and I just tighten it with a wrench till it's tight enough and never had an issue.

JAGS

Hooked
The note about torque wrench seems valid too. I have a shitty one from HF. Then a better one from craftsman.

tharb5111

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I have a craftsman torque wrench and I use it all the time. I can only hope it works right but at this point I don't know.

So I spoke with Evo Mfg directly just now and the tech informed me they torque all their bolts to 80 foot pounds even though they are not grade 8. He said I can do whatever but that's what they do all the time with no issues. He also said the bolt cannot be removed once its torqued down and must be cut off? Sounds sketchy to me but I was unable to back off the nut so maybe he's correct. He informed that once the joints need replacing after one or two years the bolts must be cut off. Then you purchase a maintenance kit that includes new joints and nuts. Wish I had known that before I ordered a second set of hd links today. Lol. Learning as I go along is all I can do.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate this forum and the quick responses. Nice to know I can always reach out when shit goes topsy.

DMF

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I have a craftsman torque wrench and I use it all the time. I can only hope it works right but at this point I don't know.

So I spoke with Evo Mfg directly just now and the tech informed me they torque all their bolts to 80 foot pounds even though they are not grade 8. He said I can do whatever but that's what they do all the time with no issues. He also said the bolt cannot be removed once its torqued down and must be cut off? Sounds sketchy to me but I was unable to back off the nut so maybe he's correct. He informed that once the joints need replacing after one or two years the bolts must be cut off. Then you purchase a maintenance kit that includes new joints and nuts. Wish I had known that before I ordered a second set of hd links today. Lol. Learning as I go along is all I can do.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate this forum and the quick responses. Nice to know I can always reach out when shit goes topsy.

If that's the case, I'm glad I didn't torque mine down because I had to removed them last weekend to install my drag link.

aermotor

He also said the bolt cannot be removed once its torqued down and must be cut off?

Ummm, how on earth is that even possible? You use a 16mm and hold the opposite side while you take off the 19mm nut. Sounds like complete BS.

So if I need to take my links off to do maintenance I have to cut them? I highly disbelieve this and will do it tonight just to make a point.

Top Bottom