Tire rubbing on rear control arm...

RageKage

Recently seen some unusual rubbing marks on the inside of my front driver tire, couldn't figure out what the hell it was. Upon further inspection I realized that my rear driver tire is rubbing against the control arm and the front had rub marks sustained from before I rotated the tires. Anyone know what could be the cause of this? Rear axle not being centered is my guess because the passenger side looks like it has plenty of room. Possibly some to spare.
Driver side rear IMG_6569.jpg IMG_6570.jpg
Passenger side rear IMG_6571.jpg IMG_6572.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
By seeing the tire nubbies, is it safe to say you recently went to aftermarket wheels and larger trail grapplers?

Seems that you need more backspacing in your wheels. Don't want to go that route, get yourself
some decent wheel spacers.

RageKage

By seeing the tire nubbies, is it safe to say you recently went to aftermarket wheels and larger trail grapplers?

Seems that you need more backspacing in your wheels. Don't want to go that route, get yourself
some decent wheel spacers.

The wheels and tires are actually almost 3 years old. Had them put on when the lift was installed. I'm very OCD about the nubbies. Idk why but I just like them on there, my daughter tries to pull them off all the time. Also the jeep hasn't seen much off-road time since I'm still building and learning how much needs to be changed with a 6 1/2" lift....[emoji20][emoji58]

Edit: my other question is why the passenger side has so much more room than the driver.

JAGS

Hooked
So it's been like this for 3 yrs and you are just noticing??

That's nosebleed high. I have no experience with a 6 1/2 inch lift, but my guess is your geometry is off. Maybe the rear axle has shifted?

Seeing the clearance, I would still suggest you look at some wheel spacers.

Maybe others can chime in if they have knowledge of issues with a lift that high.

Robertcrav

What are some more detaails about the lift? Track bar relocation brackets? Im also betting the axle is not centered under the frame

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jesse3638

Hooked
With any lift your axle will shift as the track bar is designed around the stock height. A track bar relocation bracket or adjustable track bar will help to center it. The track bar relocation bracket will help return the vehicle's roll center of gravity closer to stock. As JAGS said your wheels look like they may not have enough back spacing. A set with 4.5" or less is what you should have. 1.5" wheel spacers will give your stock wheel 4.5" of back spacing. Unless you took a hard hit and bent something that's where I'd begin.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Looking at the first pic again, your rear driver side coil looks bowed. This is one tell tale sign your axle has shifted.

Not knowing your exact set up/parts, something wasn't torqued or the relocation bracket has issues...is missing...is not enough.

Did I mention wheel spacers. [emoji6]

RageKage

So it's been like this for 3 yrs and you are just noticing??

That's nosebleed high. I have no experience with a 6 1/2 inch lift, but my guess is your geometry is off. Maybe the rear axle has shifted?

Seeing the clearance, I would still suggest you look at some wheel spacers.

Maybe others can chime in if they have knowledge of issues with a lift that high.

To be honest I never seen it until I started on the install of my new front bumper. Don't know how cuz I've been under, in, on, and all around the jeep more times than I can count. Just don't think I ever really looked at the inside of the tires.

As for the lift yea I know it's high and excessive but it's what I wanted. Have actually been contemplating about dropping it down to 4". Ultimate goal was 40's but I think I will be sticking to 37's for quite a while also wanted to get max flex without rubbing too much inside the wheel well. Which is why I went with that big a lift and the fenders. I'm thinking you're right about the geometry being off tho. Both sides definitely don't look the same and I will most likely get spacers in the future. I've been wanting some for a while just for the stance.

RageKage

Some details about the lift... 6 1/2" BDS long arm lift kit. Track bar relocation brackets front and rear, extended brake lines, etc. etc. the whole shabang. But I still have the stock track bar on the rear. I upgrade my front to a JKS adjustable when I got DW. I'm starting to think I need an adjustable for the rear.... and possibly wheel spacers. I think JAGS mentioned wheel spacers? [emoji848]

Edit: after reading your guy's comments and reinspecting I think it's safe to say the axle is not centered and definitely need some wheel spacers. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Top Bottom