PSC steering

desrt4x

I have been thinking of installing the PSC hydraulic steering kit on my jeep and I was talking to someone that had it in our local club. He told me he was using automatic transmission fluid +4 so he didn't have to carry another fluid. I looked at the PSC site and they say only use power steering fluid? Would this hurt the kit over time?

SDG

Caught the Bug
Not sure if it will hurt it, but they recommend Swepco fluid, which is supposedly antifoaming, I know people who use normal power steering fluid... don't thing I would use ATF though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
ATF and power steering fluid are similar but have many different additive properties. I would not use atf in place of power steering fluid. I would use either the mopar power steering fluid or use the recommended sweepco fluid that psc suggests

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I know someone put in ATF fluid in Eddies jeep Moby once and I remember it being some kind of problem. I currently run normal power steering fluid from AutoZone, but someday I plan to switch to swepco.

WJCO

Meme King
Several years in the late 80s and early 90s, some manufacturers used standard ATF for power steering systems. That's why a lot of people still think you should. But even then and now, always stick to what the manufacturer recommends and you'll be just fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The JK uses ATF+4 for power steering from the factory. You can use it on a PSC system but while it can work, I personally would do it only if you're in a pinch. The viscosity of ATF+4 isn't the same as power steering fluid and as mentioned, this caused pump problems for me.

Top Bottom