Retractable Microphone Holder

Wizard

I just been watching the Wayalife - MOAB : Pilgrimage to the Promised Land series of videos, and noticed a few of the vehicle fitted with retractable microphone holders on their 2-way radios.

Firstly, are these a good idea (pros & cons)?

And secondly, is there a particular brand of these holders which is best to buy?

Appreciate any advice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love mine enough that I run one in both my Jeeps. If there is a con, it's that they're not readily available at my local Walmart. :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

...,,If there is a con, it's that they're not readily available at my local Walmart. :crazyeyes:

Yep, got to head to a hwy and make a visit to a Flying J, Pilot, or any other truckstop ;) I love those things, have one for my mic, one for my sunglasses, one for my cell phone, one for my overland journal, one for my 187oz big gulp :p

Skid_Kid

Yep, got to head to a hwy and make a visit to a Flying J, Pilot, or any other truckstop ;) I love those things, have one for my mic, one for my sunglasses, one for my cell phone, one for my overland journal, one for my 187oz big gulp :p

:cheesy: :cheesy::cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

:cheesy: I'm surprised your roof rack isn't secured with one. :cheesy:

JAGS

Hooked
Was just on amazon looking at a couple CB parts and several came up. 10-22 bucks or so. Might want to check there too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

TheDuff

My local ORW carries them. I attached mine to a thumb screw on my tuffy overhead console (copied Eddie). I had to make 2 small modifications so that it wouldn't allow the mic to bitch slap me constantly on the trail. First I took up all the extra slack from the loop on the end that attaches to the mic. Then I ditched the long plastic clip from the other end and replaced it with a small plastic conduit clamp like the one in the picture. 1360946450043.jpg
There is probably a lot of other ways to mount it, this is just what worked for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wizard

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd never seen them before here in Australia, but think they'd be a great addition. Off to do a bit of online shopping now.

deepwater

I tried one for my Cobra 75 CB, the one that is entirely contained in the hand mike. It is heavier than a typical Mike and yo-yo's when bouncing around on the trail.
I am going to have to buy an EVO coilover suspension to soften the ride now.:D

Mike

bl17z90

i got mine after our last run. i plan on hanging it from the tie point on the windshield but since I havn't wheeled with it yet I'm not sure if the bouncing will bang the handset against my windsheild or not :thinking:

FrankenJeeper

i got mine after our last run. i plan on hanging it from the tie point on the windshield but since I havn't wheeled with it yet I'm not sure if the bouncing will bang the handset against my windsheild or not :thinking:

I have a a gear keeper mic holder with my midland handheld cb attached to it, I tried the windshield tie down point and it kept hitting my mirror, so I relocated it to the sun visit mount with the gear keeper hung over the top of the visor and the visor takes up slack in the gear keeper, so it doesn't swing no where near as much as before.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug

ROLMFAO ..... Only you.... :cheesy::doh::cheesy:

Serg5000

I tried one for my Cobra 75 CB, the one that is entirely contained in the hand mike. It is heavier than a typical Mike and yo-yo's when bouncing around on the trail.

Mike

That's probably the best solution. 😄🔫

Linebacker

Caught the Bug

Mike

Mount a coilover on your sportbar and the mic on the coilover. Should reduce the mic bouncing around and save a wad on a complete suspension upgrade.:twocents:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
gear%20keeper-mic.jpg

Wizard

I bought and fitted a Gear Keeper holder, and after a weekend away wheeling think it's brilliant. So convenient.

Top Bottom