Brakes...

Kevgund

Hey folks...

So I am driving a slightly modified 2014 JK, 2.5" lift with 33's.

I have noticed some stopping power loss and was thinking about adding a better brake system.

I was looking at the Powerstop Extreme Z36 kit (just rotors and pads), it's around $300 which I didn't think was bad at all.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z36-kit/

The question I have is if it is worth it for me to go with something better or would this be good enough for a daily driver and some off-roading?

If you can think of or know of something better any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Hey folks...

I have noticed some stopping power loss and was thinking about adding a better brake system.

I was looking at the Powerstop Extreme Z36 kit (just rotors and pads), it's around $300 which I didn't think was bad at all.

The question I have is if it is worth it for me to go with something better or would this be good enough for a daily driver and some off-roading?

If you can think of or know of something better any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Don't know about that particular product but I do know the Dynatrac ProGrips are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kevgund

Why did I know you all were going to say the Dynatracs... I was trying to keep costs down, guess that isn't happening... lol.

GraniteCrystal

Loss of stopping power in a two door with 33s? How fast do you want to stop? Maybe just need better tires or new brake pads. Those play into braking a lot.

Kevgund

Loss of stopping power in a two door with 33s? How fast do you want to stop? Maybe just need better tires or new brake pads. Those play into braking a lot.

The loss is noticeable, I spend roughly 80% of my daily driving on my brakes thanks to the Long Island (parking lot) Expressway. I'm sure that comes into play big time and it is probably close to needing a change in pads. Tires are brand new Nitto Ridgegrapplers so I doubt that is the issue.

WJCO

Meme King
Our JKU on 33s seems fine to us with stock brakes. We don't carry much gear in it though.

Wethy

The loss is noticeable, I spend roughly 80% of my daily driving on my brakes thanks to the Long Island (parking lot) Expressway. I'm sure that comes into play big time and it is probably close to needing a change in pads. Tires are brand new Nitto Ridgegrapplers so I doubt that is the issue.
Since you pretty much had the same setup i did.(i had 33" duratracs though). I didnt notice much stopping power loss if any. However, With my 35" ridge grapplers i did notice some. I just did my brakes and bought wagner premium rotors and got brembo ceramic pads up front with wagner premiums pads in the back. Braking is much better. My opinion is with 33s i dont know if the dynatracs would be worth it. Since iirc reading, the progrips dont fit the stock rims(or you have to get a specific set of progrips) it cost me about 350 canadian for new pads and rotors. And it feels like factory even with my 35s. Just my opinion though. Eventually ill probly get progrips but until then this will do.

This is the factory pads vs the brembos with 150,000 km on them. Not exactly worn down too much but i did notice
20170802_153745.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
My opinion is with 33s i dont know if the dynatracs would be worth it. Since iirc reading, the progrips dont fit the stock rims(or you have to get a specific set of progrips)

IMO, safety items are always worth it. The Progrips (there's only one kind, but can fit 5x5 or 5x5.5 bolt patterns) will fit factory 17-18" rims, but will require a spacer. If you don't have spacers, quality ones run for about $200 for front and back sets.

Kevgund

Since you pretty much had the same setup i did.(i had 33" duratracs though). I didnt notice much stopping power loss if any. However, With my 35" ridge grapplers i did notice some. I just did my brakes and bought wagner premium rotors and got brembo ceramic pads up front with wagner premiums pads in the back. Braking is much better. My opinion is with 33s i dont know if the dynatracs would be worth it. Since iirc reading, the progrips dont fit the stock rims(or you have to get a specific set of progrips) it cost me about 350 canadian for new pads and rotors. And it feels like factory even with my 35s. Just my opinion though. Eventually ill probly get progrips but until then this will do.

This is the factory pads vs the brembos with 150,000 km on them. Not exactly worn down too much but i did notice
View attachment 271147

Thank you for the information... I appreciate your time.

Wethy

IMO, safety items are always worth it. The Progrips (there's only one kind, but can fit 5x5 or 5x5.5 bolt patterns) will fit factory 17-18" rims, but will require a spacer. If you don't have spacers, quality ones run for about $200 for front and back sets.
Ahhh so thats what it was regarding the fit of the pro grips. And i agree thats why even with that much pad left i changed mine to a quality brand. What i meant was that with only 33s i dont know if the progrips would be worth the investment over another set of quality brakes. I know eventually i will move to progrips but my rears were fairly worn and i was on a time crunch. And used products ive trusted on previous vehicles. As well as was unsure abiut the fit since i am running factory rims ha ha

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Ahhh so thats what it was regarding the fit of the pro grips. And i agree thats why even with that much pad left i changed mine to a quality brand. What i meant was that with only 33s i dont know if the progrips would be worth the investment over another set of quality brakes. I know eventually i will move to progrips but my rears were fairly worn and i was on a time crunch. And used products ive trusted on previous vehicles. As well as was unsure abiut the fit since i am running factory rims ha ha

For 33's better pads and rotors are a more cost effective solution. I will run the Dynatracs eventually but I'm on heavy 37's. It's tough to throw down the big coin and then need $200 spacers too if you are on stock wheels. Then again, since you say you know you will do it eventually, you might as well pony up and get it done and not worry anymore.

Wethy

For 33's better pads and rotors are a more cost effective solution. I will run the Dynatracs eventually but I'm on heavy 37's. It's tough to throw down the big coin and then need $200 spacers too if you are on stock wheels. Then again, since you say you know you will do it eventually, you might as well pony up and get it done and not worry anymore.
Ha ha i will probly buy them when this setup needs replacing, however i was in need of new rear pads as they were very low(thanks to the 2drs shortwheelbase and the BLD/traction control) and didnt have time to find a good deal/research prices/make sure i had everything required. So i went with what i knew worked for other vehicles ive used. I do agree though the dynatracs are overkill for 33s. And that was what i was getting at with my post. Lol

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey folks...

Thank You

On my 2010 jKU I ran the Powerstop Extreme when I had 315's on and was towing a 5x8 enclosed trailer. They were definitely better than stock. When I switched to 37's the Powerstop were like stock - had a few pucker moments on steep trails going downhill.

Now running Dynatracs , changed out to Wagner OEx brake pads, less brake dust and excellent stopping power.

I liked the improvement of the Wagners, I changed out the stock pads on the 2015 JKU to the Wagner OEx and it was a definite improvement.

IMO I'd change out the brake pads before going to a full Powerstop kit.

If you have plans for 37's , Dynatrac without question

ItsTosh

I'm in a JKU, 2" of lift, Interco Thornbirds (33's), and I'm running all Wagner ceramic pads. I've never doubted them for a second. Every press of the brake pedal, I know I'm gonna stop, and quickly. Not too expensive for peace of mind either. I think they were about $75 per set, if memory serves.

Top Bottom